Review First Impressions Britax Pioneer 70

Pablo23

This a review of the Britax Pioneer 70.  It is not meant to be a full review, which you have plenty in the web. I would like to make a few comments from a new user perspective.

The Pioneer 70 is Frontier 90’s little brother. From a size perspective, is almost the same frame than the Frontier, despite the Pioneer’s weight and height limits are smaller. Why have  I bought the Pioneer instead of the Frontier? Just because of availability in my country. If I could, I would have bought the Frontier, which also has the convenient “ClickTight” technology.

*Size and Weight
The seat is large. Its main competitor is the Graco Nautilus, which is the same size but the Graco looks more compact, probably because of the side impact protection wings of the Britax.  The seat is also heavy, I have to move it quite often and it can be done but is not very convenient. However, you can’t really expect a seat to be small and light and also have such a long lifespan as the Pioneer, so these issues cannot be taken as a con.
One issue I have found is that the seat does not have a natural way to hold it with one hand. It lacks any kind of hook or any part to hold it. You must use both hands to carry it, which is not very convenient when you have to install and transport it often.

*Installation (harness mode)
I installed it with lap and lap-shoulder belt. I have a compact car and honestly speaking I was afraid of not having enough room to install the seat. Basically, the limitation was the width distance between the buckle insert and the belt. I have a Peugeot 206 and the seat could be installed with almost no free space available. This is not the ideal situation, at least a small space between the seat frame and the buckle should exist. Unfortunately, most seats are made thinking on average US cars, which tend to be much bigger than those found outside US (like Japanese or European designs).

Probably the only real issue that disappointed me was that neither the instructions nor the official installation videos are very clear on how to route the belt. In the videos, the belt seems to lie flat (i.e. parallel to the seat cushion) but when you install it the natural path for the belt is more vertical (i.e. parallel to the seat back). Also, the path for the shoulder belt portion is a bit awkward. It turns vertical on one side of the seat, just below the side impact protection wing, but there is no guide there, so the belt touches the seat cover and also, depending on the car, I can see it touching the edge of the Styrofoam cushioning, which doesn’t seem right.
Despite these issues, I was able to reach a firm installation, despite not the most elegant one.

It would also be nice that the seat design make use somewhat of the shoulder portion of the seatbelt. It just useless. Rolling forward is preventing mainly by the anchor connector on the back, but my car and most cars at least in my country don’t have LATCH. In theory, anchors are not required except near the maximum weight.

*Adjustments
Height adjustments are fine, but are very difficult to do while the child is seating on the seat.  I found it difficult to raise the headrest in this situation. Also, for some reason is not easy  to tighten the straps with the child seated. Some people complaint that could not find the release button, which is buried deep inside the frame. I could find it easily but as mentioned, had a hard time tightening the straps.
One very annoying issue I found is that is almost impossible to recline the seat while the child is seated. It only has two positions that at one point you have to lift the seat somewhat from the base at this is very difficult to do while the child is seated. I don’t know if this is normal or not, but I found it quite inconvenient.

*Overall
Overall impression is of a good product. Maybe I was expected something a bit better for the price (which is very expensive in my country) and the renowned brand name in terms of convenience, but from a quality perspective is very nice and most important, the child seems to be very well protected and also very comfortable seating there.

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thank you for taking the time to do a review. :)
I had a Frontier 90, and liked it for the most part.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
at least a small space between the seat frame and the buckle should exist.

There is no requirement specifying a space between the seatbelt buckle and the carseat shell. I think maybe you are confusing this with "buckle crunch" which is where a corner of the shell is digging into the place where the male and female parts of the seatbelt buckle join, possibly creating a lever that will pull the buckle apart in a crash. Touching or laying against a flat or rounded portion of the shell is fine.

the belt touches the seat cover and also, depending on the car, I can see it touching the edge of the Styrofoam cushioning, which doesn’t seem right.

What are your concerns with this? That the friction may wear the cover or foam? Several of the Britax seats have had an inverse belt path that routes large portions of the seat belt against the cover and/or foam and excessive wear is not something I've encountered.

*Adjustments
Height adjustments are fine, but are very difficult to do while the child is seating on the seat.

It may be easier if you have the child lean forward slightly while you are raising the headrest.

that is almost impossible to recline the seat while the child is seated.

I didn't think the recline on this seat was supposed to be a recline-on-the-fly feature, just that you had two recline options to choose from when you initially install the seat.

Thanks for the review and I'm glad your child is enjoying the new seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC