Potty for higher height/weight % 2yr old

Carolinadaisy

Ok, need recommendations on a little potty for my large 2 yr old. He will be 3 on March 2. He's about 35 lbs and 40" tall. So he's a big boy, but he isn't ready to use the big potty, apparently.

He will pee in the big potty, but seems to like to crouch to poop so I need a smaller potty so his feet can touch the ground. I always swore I would not buy a little potty and DS1 trained with the Bjorn toilet trainer on the regular toilet.

I have no desire to clean a small potty, but I'm ready to get DS2 out of diapers and he is doing great with pee on the big potty, but will only rarely poop in it.

I don't want to spend a lot on one, so I'm wondering if this one would work?
http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-precious-planet-froggy-potty/-/A-13764601#prodSlot=medium_1_2

I'm open to other suggestions as well and really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

ADS

jgomez411

Ok, need recommendations on a little potty for my large 2 yr old. He will be 3 on March 2. He's about 35 lbs and 40" tall. So he's a big boy, but he isn't ready to use the big potty, apparently. He will pee in the big potty, but seems to like to crouch to poop so I need a smaller potty so his feet can touch the ground. I always swore I would not buy a little potty and DS1 trained with the Bjorn toilet trainer on the regular toilet. I have no desire to clean a small potty, but I'm ready to get DS2 out of diapers and he is doing great with pee on the big potty, but will only rarely poop in it. I don't want to spend a lot on one, so I'm wondering if this one would work? http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-precious-planet-froggy-potty/-/A-13764601#prodSlot=medium_1_2 I'm open to other suggestions as well and really appreciate any help. Thanks!
We have a couple Safety 1st ones that work great. I occasionally sit on it when I'm giving DD a bath. She will either sit on there or she will take it apart so she can fit it on the big potty and use the base for her feet. I bought one full price and found another at Goodwill for cheap and just bleached it really well.
Oh and I just use Clorox wipes after each use. Once she will use the big potty all the time, I'll bleach it really well but when she uses it 8+ times a day there's no way I'm bleaching it everytime!

Carolinadaisy

We have a couple Safety 1st ones that work great. I occasionally sit on it when I'm giving DD a bath. She will either sit on there or she will take it apart so she can fit it on the big potty and use the base for her feet. I bought one full price and found another at Goodwill for cheap and just bleached it really well.
Oh and I just use Clorox wipes after each use. Once she will use the big potty all the time, I'll bleach it really well but when she uses it 8+ times a day there's no way I'm bleaching it everytime!

Can I find one of them at Target or Walmart? Hoping to pick one up tonight or tomorrow locally. Thanks!

YinzerMama

I heart the froggie potty. I used one with my girls and the simplicity + cuteness + cheapness rocked. I didn't like the re-design (the orange one is new) so I sought out used ones and now have a frog for every floor. However I have discovered that the old one, the eyes are so high, it works great for naked potty training (which we do) but can make it hard to pull down undies and still sit so the orange one might be better after all.

Go for it.

Carolinadaisy

I heart the froggie potty. I used one with my girls and the simplicity + cuteness + cheapness rocked. I didn't like the re-design (the orange one is new) so I sought out used ones and now have a frog for every floor. However I have discovered that the old one, the eyes are so high, it works great for naked potty training (which we do) but can make it hard to pull down undies and still sit so the orange one might be better after all.

Go for it.

I'm honestly almost afraid he's going to be too big for it. Really hoping it will be a very temporary solution. He is the size of some 4yr olds I know, so a little potty feels silly to me and I'm afraid it's going to be hugely messy!

jgomez411

Can I find one of them at Target or Walmart? Hoping to pick one up tonight or tomorrow locally. Thanks!
I got mine at Target about 18 months ago. I just looked and couldn't find if but Walmart has http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/Safety-1st-Comfy-Cushy-3-in-1-Potty/17656308?type=searchwhich is pretty close to the one I have. I'm not sure why the reviews are so bad but I've had no issues and we dealt with plenty of pee on the cooshie part and it doesn't smell.

Brianna

J finally started peeing on the potty right around his 3rd birthday and used the froggy. At that age he was well over the 97th percentiles for height and weight, he fit fine. He used the froggy potty for months until he switched to a built in toddler size seat on the regular toilet.

jacqui276

Baby Bjorn hands down!!! The high back version. It's simple, easy to clean & taller off the ground

I love this one too. DS is only 35" tall (and 34lbs) but is just starting to learn and uses this one. I've had a few little potties kicking around and this is by far my favourite (and I HATE little potties too...). I think the he will still fit on this one for awhile and I often have to help him onto it.

YinzerMama

The bjorn potty is nice but pricey.

If you have an ikea near you they have a cheap version of the bjorn potty. (They have 2 potties - one is $5, the other is $10 I think) Can't think how it compares in size. We used the smaller one as a car potty for years. It's kind of annoying to empy since it doesn't have a seperate pot.

The froggie pottie is a really nice size though. My girls could still use it. I could use it if I had to. We have an old house with no bathroom on the first floor so we keep a froggie potty in the kitchen (very glamorous). I broke my foot a few weeks ago and joked I was going to use it instead of going upstairs or to the basement to pee. And I really could sit on it. But I drink so much diet pepsi I am afraid my bladder would overflow it. :eek: (I didn't try)

If you're not squeamish check CL for one of the old ones. I think the actual frog portion itself is the same size though... just the old eyeballs were higher, and curved, so the eyesockets made a nice place to hold the pot when you removed it.

I often see the bjorn ones for 10-15 bucks around here, too, on CL.

I'm not squeamish about such things though. They're all hard plastic so can be cleaned. Some of the kiddie potties have foamy parts or lots of gaps or whatever and can really never be cleaned totally. I've been through so many potty things with the kids.

Carolinadaisy

I'd get a toilet step before I dealt with a potty chair.

I have a step stool, but our toilet just seems taller than some. His feet do barely reach the stool now when he is sitting on the toilet, but it doesn't solve my problem. He squats to poop and I think the little potty will put him in a more familiar position and low to the ground.

I do not relish dealing with a potty chair. To be honest, we don't really even have a good space for it in the bathroom. It's just a very temporary fix to get him to poop in the potty instead of a diaper. We got the froggy one because I couldn't rationalize spending over $20 on a little potty that I am hoping to use for only a few months at most.

I know the bjorn one is a little nicer, but unless I have a friend with one they are getting rid of, we will be trying this one out tomorrow. Hopefully, he will like it and not want to use it all of the time because he pees fine on the big toilet.

tjham

I love the Baby Bjorn big potty. But they were just coming out with the Froggie one when my grandson didn't need a potty anymore or I would have snapped one up in a minute!

I had several others and only liked the Baby Bjorn. I had the little one for the car.

I especially hated the Fisher Price one that made music, the Royal potty. Not because it made music. It just was a royal pain! Haha!

YinzerMama

I never minded a potty very much. We attempted to skip the potty when my oldest was a toddler and do the insert and step stool route but he freaked out over sitting on the big toilet. Big, melt-down, terrified screams. It wasn't worth it to me to push the issue when he was perfectly content to sit on his little potty.

Little potties are also really good if your kid swallows something that you have to look for later. Luckily I only ever needed that benefit with one kid... so far.

chocovore

We had the Fisher Price frog potty for DS who was probably a bit shorter than yours but still a tall and sturdy kid. It worked well for him -- some potties the hole was so small it kind of did not line up with the exit if you know what I mean.

Carolinadaisy

Thanks. We used the frog potty very briefly. He decided he wanted to use the big potty and flush! Yay! He has been completely out of diapers for about a month now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC