FAA sticker question

rachelandtyke

We are flying later in the month. DD2 will go with her KF30. It's 10 months out from expiration, and all the stickers are either coming off or off. I think the important part for the airplane is the part that says: This Restraint is Certified for Use In Motor Vehicles and Aircraft. That part of the sticker is still intact. I can bring the manual. Is/was there anything else I would need to show? We're flying Delta domestically.

ADS

newyorkDOC

I doubt they'll even check. As long as you've got a ticket for your baby, IMEthey don't look at the actual seat. They may gripe about installing it RF but no one has ever checked my stickers.

aeormsby

We've had them check seats 2-3 times total in the years we took carseats on the plane (flying 2-3 times a year) sometimes while getting on the plane, sometimes when checking in for the flight. I'd just keep the manual handy and have the page flagged so you can find it easily if you need to.

rachelandtyke

One of the reasons we're taking the bucket is so they can't argue about putting her ff! DS will be in front of her, so it won't bother anyone anyway. She has her own ticket. I've only had them check once, and it was with one of the convertibles for DS. I had to argue with them that it was OK, but they finally allowed it. :rolleyes: Guess I should be sure to grab DS's manual, too, and be sure I know where the sticker is on the seat for him. We'll put him ff even though he is rfing in the car.

cantabdad

FAA policy allows you to show the manual if the stickers have worn off or become illegible. See FAA Advisory Circular 120-87B, section 11.

It's not a bad idea to have a copy of the circular with you (or saved on your phone) since it's an authoritative document that addresses a lot of the issues that people seem to have.

newyorkDOC

I can't believe that people's seats don't get checked every time. I fly Spirit and they have checked every single time.
all airlines will let you check the seat. It's not good for the seat however. It can get damaged, dirtied, or lost. Many techs will consider a checked seat crashed. There's damage that can be done that us not noticeable to the naked eye.

Keeyamah

I can't believe that people's seats don't get checked every time. I fly Spirit and they have checked every single time.
all airlines will let you check the seat. It's not good for the seat however. It can get damaged, dirtied, or lost. Many techs will consider a checked seat crashed. There's damage that can be done that us not noticeable to the naked eye.

Hopefully she is referring to checking for the stickers, not checking them as baggage.

cantabdad

I couldn't get the link to work?

I think this is a link to an earlier policy statement from MACPS (Manufacturers Alliance for Child Passenger Safety) that is was OK to gate-check carseats because they are designed to withstand the forces that they would ordinarily encounter during airline handling.

I've viewed that as providing some peace of mind in the event that I unavoidably must gate-check the carseat, e.g. on a foreign airline, but I personally still think it is better avoided... the carseat can still get damaged, lost/misdirected, etc. and in general there's no reason not to use it onboard.

rachelandtyke

I think this is a link to an earlier policy statement from MACPS (Manufacturers Alliance for Child Passenger Safety) that is was OK to gate-check carseats because they are designed to withstand the forces that they would ordinarily encounter during airline handling.

I've viewed that as providing some peace of mind in the event that I unavoidably must gate-check the carseat, e.g. on a foreign airline, but I personally still think it is better avoided... the carseat can still get damaged, lost/misdirected, etc. and in general there's no reason not to use it onboard.

I've read that before. Don't plan to gate check any seats. Fortunately, my kids are small for their age, so I don't think I'll get any hassle about using their carseats. I need to print the FAA docs to have onhand just in case and be sure I know where the stickers are on DS's seat - plus decide which one to use for him!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC