Question When do techs turn their kids forward?

wagonlover

DD is a petite 4.5 yo RF in an Advocate who will outgrow it shortly by height. I'm debating turning her forward vs. buying something else to keep her RF (e.g. Nextfit, Radian.) I realize we're beyond most goals for RF, but was just wondering what everyone who knows all the data does for their own kids?

ADS

Suzibeck

I planned to keep my youngest (only child small enough to rf when I was a tech) rfing until she outgrew her RXT but she was begging and begging to turn ff so at 4 1/2, I let her. After a few months, she asked to go back rfing and she did for a few weeks but she was nearly outgrowing it at that point and I got an awesome deal on a Prosport and she went ff full time shortly before her 5th birthday and I sold the RXT.

ETA: After age 4, I would not buy a new seat for a child to rf unless they had a medical reason to need to stay rfing longer. I may not even buy a new seat after age 3, before age 3 I definitely would though.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I would not buy another seat to continue to rf a child who made it to/beyond 4y rfing already.

Honestly, I didn't for my own child who made it beyond 3yo rfing before outgrowing his radian. My oldest daughter just turned 4 last month and is still happily fitting rf in her radian xtsl. I'd probably be checking her often if she was in her classic marathon since she seemed to be getting close-ish when she used it the other day. I actually only use it if I have to and I had to have seats for her in 4 vehicles at the same time for two days so I had to.

Edit: if you can't stomach turning and it wouldn't be a financial burden, go ahead and buy a radian. Dd1 is soooo petite that I feel sick thinking of flipping her.

gsdguenter

I'm a tech. I turned DD1 at 4y10m. She outgrew her radian.

DD2 is 4y7m now and still rf. She will be until she outgrows get Radians/Foonf.

That's my general rule for my own kids. Rf until rf options are outgrown. If that means buying a new seat I will until age 4-5.

jjordan

I turn my kids when they outgrow their RF seat as long as they're at least 3, and if they haven't outgrown it by 4, they can turn then if they want to. I would buy a new RF seat if a kid outgrew what we had before turning 3 (which might happen with baby #4 since he is a LOT taller than any of the others were. We'll see within the next 2.5 years...)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When mine outgrew their seats by weight, because it's been awhile... 4.5 for the first kiddo at 33 pounds in an old Marathon, and 3 and 33 pounds in a Radian. The second kiddo, I definitely could have bought a seat with a 40LB Rf limit, but IMO three is fine.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I told DS he can turn at 4 and his new Frontier 85 just came in, so he's really excited for his birthday to get here.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't think even the most ERF-militant of us would fault you for turning a 4.5yo rather than investing in another seat. OTOH, if you'd prefer to keep her RF & she doesn't mind, there's no reason NOT to buy another seat.

I just got a NextFit for 3y8m nannykid - he still has gobs of room in his Radian but we didn't like it. My personal goal is at least 4, but as close to 6 as I can eek it, so I actually would consider buying another seat at 4.5... but I also might turn & call it good. I think either decision is perfectly appropriate, I would go with what works best for your family, your budget, and your Momma heart. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Once they are 4, I'm not going to buy a new seat to RF unless I can easily afford it and the child wants to. At 4, if the child still fits RF with room to grow but WANTS to FF and asks persistently, I turn. (That's what happened with my third- 4 years 3 months and she could have RF a few more months but she kept asking so I turned her.)

aporthole

Just out of curiosity is the Advocate the old "classic" style with 35/65 lb rear/forward facing limits or the 2nd/3rd generation with 40/70 lb limits?

leighi123

Aiming for never here :) Levi has been FF twice, both in situations where we didn't have another option, once he was 4, and the other time was just couple weeks ago (he is 6, 6.5 next month :eek: )

If I could/can afford it, I'd continue to upgrade his seat to stay RF until I run out of seats that he fits in. I sell seats he is done with to help fund the cost.

For T though, my nanny kid, I'm turning her when she outgrows the radian - she has quite some time yet, but is a lot bigger than Levi was at her age.

Kel

Hello!! Great job RFing!!
Im NOT a tech, but wanted to throw a couple of other ideas out there for you to ponder. First off, how much room does she have FFing in the Advocate? Have you tried? Since your DD is small, you could buy a RN to RF another yr in, then use it FFing for a yr or so. A RN will probably get a small child to booster age in it. Its also wider through the shoulders, and has deeper leg support for FFing. So I dont think it would be a waste for you.

2nd...do you have smaller children to pass down seats to?

Kel

Oh...and my son likes the RN FFing because he can climb in himself because of the low profile.

bbartlettnfld

I've been a tech for 12 yrs now.

My DD turned FF at 3 yrs and 30 lbs- the max RF weight of any seat in Canada back when she was a baby. She was born in 2003.

My son was FF full time at 20 months when he out grew his Britax MA RF again 30 lb Max RF weight, even our 2007 SK Radian only went to 30lbs. He was born in 2007.

Both my kids were able to RF to the limit of their seats, which is what I try to encourage all parents to do. Now in 2013 almost 2014 Canada has tonnes of options for extended RF and #3 will RF until they meet the RF weight limits as well. Though with my eye stuck on the Foonf it will be a long while!

wagonlover

Thank you for the input!

To answer some of the questions - The Advocate is an Advocate70. I do have another (even more petite) DD to pass it to.

I didn't put it in the initial post, but I do have some reservations about the Radian. We have an XTSL (which I think is similar to the RXT) in the grandparents' car. I'm concerned that the tug-tug-tug of the harness adjuster will annoy DH. It also has nowhere near the side-impact protection of the Advocate, though from reading other threads on the board, it seems that RF may trump side-impact protection for safety. (Feel free to debate this.) I was thinking about the Nextfit, though that also seems to have harness adjuster issues. And I was also considering a Foonf, but it's very expensive for a little extra RF time, and I'm worried that the front seat will need to be pushed forward. (Kecia did such an amazing job with the chart in August comparing the space needed for RF convertibles but unfortunately didn't have a Foonf.) Anyway, thank you for the advice!

Kel

Hello again...My DS who sits FF in an RXT generally sits in his my ride when out board. When he's sitting in the center seats, I switch him to the RXT. I don't feel he's unsafe in the Rxt out board, but the my ride is so deep.

I will be buying one of the new RNs when they come out in the spring. They be a little deeper, but still low profile . I also have a teeny little lady to pass the seats down to, so I don't mind buy more seats.

canadiangie

My 7.5yo rf'd until 4 in a Radian XT.

My 6yo rf'd until 4 in a Radian XT.

My 3yo is currently rf in a RXT. I'm itching for something different, though. So we'll see..

But to answer your question, I'm a tech, and my girls did/will rf until 4. :)

leighi123

I'm concerned that the tug-tug-tug of the harness adjuster will annoy DH.

I have a RXT and XTSL, and both I just adjust and leave alone until the kid grows. The only time I have to deal with the tug tug thing is when I was the covers and have to re-adjust, but that isn't very often.

My 6yr old and the T (who is 2) fit RF in the XTSL on the exact same setting and harness tightness, he is taller but almost the same torso height, and he is skinny where the little one is more solid. I still check it every time they swap seats, but they always fit perfect, its so strange.

wagonlover

I have a RXT and XTSL, and both I just adjust and leave alone until the kid grows. The only time I have to deal with the tug tug thing is when I was the covers and have to re-adjust, but that isn't very often.

I hadn't thought of that. When getting the kids out, I pull the straps out so that they're extremely loose. It doesn't make a difference whether they're loose or already adjusted on the Britax because it has a smooth harness adjuster. I might consider the Radian more if we didn't have the tug-tug-tug. I'd love to wait for the new Radians, but am not sure if I'll have enough time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC