Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Bag ideas?

Bag ideas?

I need a bag that has a pocket that will fit an iPad Mini, and a stretchy type of pocket that can hold a travel mug (no handle on mug). The mug pocket can be inside or outside of bag. I don't want a large bag. The other things in it will be a wallet, and sometimes a small snack. So it doesn't need to be a large bag.

I was considering the HoboBe but I've heard the back pocket is kind of tight for an iPad Mini so might not fit once in a case. And I can't really find a pattern I like. The patterns do look diaper baggy to me.

I am not a VB fan. At all.

I'm open to materials (leather, fabric, etc.), and open to carry style although I'm not a fan of cross body. Would prefer something that looks good for business casual at work but will consider sporty bags.

Any ideas?
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Bag ideas?

I've loved this bag for years... http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/p...ductid=1237312

And recently got one of these, because I like the bottle holders better... http://www.ebags.com/product/overlan...rchTerm=donner (but I loathe the velcro on the front pocket, I just hide things in there I never ever need). I can fit my iPad Mini in either one easily, and I usually use it to haul cokes, snacks, several pairs of glasses, gum, lipstick, wallet, reusable shopping bags etc. The pockets on the Donner hold a big ol' Contigo travel mug so well I forget I even have it in there sometimes (the drink pocket on the ebags holds little more than a coke can).

Either one converts from shoulderbag to crossbody bag easily.

Dunno if that's quite what you're looking for... I sort of like to use bags that fit in my wee square locker at work and I can still get into the top easily for gum and lipstick and phone, so that's why I haven't gone for anything much bigger. And I'm an ebags addict
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

4. Thank You from:

Thanks! I like the Donner but wish they also made it in a version that was a little less sporty. But I will keep it on my list.

Anyone tried a Lug? I don't mind the SideKick http://www.luglife.com/SideKick-Shou...&category=1721

Oooooh, a lug that doesn't look like a lug, I liiiiiiike it! It has 78 reviews at ebags, too... http://www.ebags.com/product/lug-lif...on-pack/237827
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Baggallini has some cute ones that fit being used for work more so than sporty options. But none seem to have a bottle pocket. If they had a decent interior pocket where my cup wouldn't too over, it would be fine. My cup is narrow but the pocket would need to have some shape, not be flat. Or have an elastic top.

Still looking for a bag. I saw the Lug in real. It looked cheap and tacky IMO. I bought a TNF Tannen Tote in the dark blue http://m.thenorthface.com/mt/www.the...atalogId=10201

I love all the features, but it's too big. It sits flat when it's empty but it's so wide that on the day I have a bottle in either side and just my wallet in the giant main area, the bag is awkward to carry.

I love the mesh zippered pocket inside, the slide pockets on the outside are perfect for phone and keys and have no zipper or Velcro in the way. The bottom has a layer of a wipeable fabric so the bag fabric doesn't get all wet and stained if on the wet floor mat in your car, the bottle pockets at the side are huge but disappear when they aren't in use and the tote handles are adjustable.

Anyone have any idea for something with tote handles, bottle pockets, and various other usable pockets? (I hate the pockets that are just material along one side and you slide something into. I like mesh pockets or pockets with elastic, something that actually holds items)

Ju Ju Be has a fabric I like now but still unsure if it's too diaper baggy. And I think I prefer tote handles but if the bag is otherwise the best bag for me, I can handle a shoulder strap as this one doesn't look like a messenger bag.

I've decided I need something a little bigger than what jools posted and with tote straps. The messenger style strap is just looking too sporty for work with business casual clothing.

9. Thank You from:

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    I love that bag! I have been looking for something exactly like that, and bonus, it comes in purple!

I just got it for $17.49 shipped! (Used code EM4XB98N1I in case that helps anyone.)

(Plus another 10% back from ebates!)
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

11. Thank You from:

I just bought a used Hayden Harnett Havana Hobo on eBay. I got it because I like the style, it's big enough without being huge and won't look silly if it's not stuffed. I also liked the pockets on the outside that I can slip my phone into.

I've never bought a designer bag but am tired of the choices in the "affordable" range. JJB and Vera Bradley aren't my thing. Coach or other popular designers are too cliche for my taste and I don't like the branding.

There aren't water bottle pockets but I usually carry a water bottle that's leak proof. I also carry my iPad in my current bag just free willy nilly in it's case. I find that it stays where I put it. You can always get a neoprene sleeve.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Eta: it looks like the newer ones have a nice pocket on the back that would be large enough for a mini. I think my eBay one doesn't have that because it's a few years old.

15. Thank You from:

I like that style. I'll go check out that brand and see what else they have.

I also found the Timbuk2 Maya shoulder bag which I can custom do fabric to look snazzier. It has an internal bottle holder (which is actually for my tea mug and while it's never leaked, it is not guaranteed leakproof and I'd rather not have a bag full of tea) and looks like some place for an iPad and an external pocket for my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by T4K View Post
    Cute! I've been wanting a Hobo lately... (Right now I actually carry a ebags Bistro lunch tote... I'm such a dork, but no one can tell it's a lunch bag )
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by CTPDMom View Post
    I love that bag! I have been looking for something exactly like that, and bonus, it comes in purple!

I just got it for $17.49 shipped! (Used code EM4XB98N1I in case that helps anyone.)

(Plus another 10% back from ebates!)
    Hahaha, mine's purple. Screamin' deal! You'll love it
    Julie

Found another water bottle holding purse... http://www.ebags.com/product/travelo...78&rlid=DETAIL
    Julie

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Hahaha, mine's purple. Screamin' deal! You'll love it
    Just wanted to update that I *do* love it! It's a great traveling purse. A little small for my every day, but last weekend I took my ds over (by ferry) to my parents and it was perfect. I had the dog, ds, his luggage, my coffee...LOL...and being able to have it cross body meant it didn't slide off. I was able to find things easily, all those nice pockets. I especially like the hidden one under the flap. That will be great when I'm in the city.

And I love that the cross body is plenty big, even for me who is NOT small. At the longest setting it's actually TOO long for me. So that's really awesome.

Thanks again!
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

And I'm still looking! LOL

I picked up a Lug Taxicab tote which I don't think I'm going to keep. http://www.luglife.com/Taxicab-Full-Tote?whence= The outside isn't the standard Lug diaper bag look, it's got mixed colours in it. The one I got was brown although I would have preferred black. I love the internal water bottle holder. I don't like that to get to my phone I need to unzip one of the outside pockets and then take it out of a soft pocket. I can see myself unzipping the wrong outer pocket and when I do get it right, unzipping too far and dropping other things out of that pocket. Maybe not, but I really wanted one step, easy access to my phone.

Looking at the Haiku Hobo 2 now http://www.haikubags.com/medium-bags/hobo-2.html but I'm trying to clarify if the internal bottle pockets are separate from the 2 large slip pockets along the inside back, or if they are calling those pockets bottle pockets.

I definitely know I don't want cross body,ease get or long strap though. Tote, shoulder bag or hobo is what will work/look best for my needs.

Still looking. Sigh. Found the Sherpani Vita tote which I think may work. Deciding whether to order it or not as if I don't like it, I have to pay to ship it back. https://sherpani.com/sherpani-vita.aspx

Or maybe the Widsom but I can't see to find that one as easily https://sherpani.com/sherpani-wisdom.aspx
    Last edited by TechnoGranola; 05-16-2014 at 12:08 PM.