Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: HBB

HBB

I am hearing conflicting information. What is the purpose of a HBB vs a NBB? Also, I thought that there are only a few HBB that are ok to use in a seat without a headrest, but I am also hearing that the purpose of the HBB is for use when there isn't a headrest?

What's the real deal?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Both offer assistance with getting the lap belt to fit the child properly, HBB also help the shoulder belt to fit more so than the clips on NBB. HBB also can help with new booster riders to learn the rules of booster riding.

I'm sure there is more, but that is what I can think of right now.

ETA: I not sure about the headrest thing myself, honestly. But I like my son to have a HBB behind him (once we start booster training) in my '92 Explorer with out head restraints.

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

4. Thank You from:

The purpose of a booster is to position the lap/shoulder belt properly. In a vehicle without headrest, I would use a HBB that is allowed without a headrest such as a PW.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

6. Thank You from:

HBBs directly position the shoulder belt on the shoulder, whereas backless ones indirectly position the shoulder belt (so HBBs provide a better fit on smaller children). HBBs may offer some additional side-impact protection over backlesses, though there are no standards for this so all we have to go on is what the manufacturers say. HBBs provide more head support for sleeping children. And as kind of a bonus, as you've found, some HBBs can turn a seating position without a headrest into a safer one.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

8. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: HBB

Pretty good blog on it... http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backl...-the-question/

I found my kiddo's shoulder was just so small and narrow that she was out of position in about 2 nanoseconds, until she was about 6, in a backless.

I wish I could find an old article I remember about highbacks... most probably should require a vehicle head restraint behind them (few are sturdy enough to prevent significant backward movement, evidently. Honestly, if you've seen some of the ones that don't require a head restraint, you wonder why not), but in the real world the whiplash risk to kids is incredibly tiny with or without something behind their head. Dorel started saying headrests were mandatory, Diono seems to have followed suit. If I didn't have head restraints I'd want the tallest, sturdiest booster I could find that doesn't require a vehicle head restraint, like the Frontier.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

10. Thank You from:

So I am looking at putting my 5 yr old in a Frontier in the middle seat, without a headrest.

Would I be better off leaving him outboard with a headrest?

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: HBB

Quote Originally Posted by kidnurse View Post
    So I am looking at putting my 5 yr old in a Frontier in the middle seat, without a headrest.

Would I be better off leaving him outboard with a headrest?
    I'd put it center if feasible, center is always, always safest (when weighing risk of injury, being outboard increases risk, while vehicle head restraints behind boosters really don't have any measurable effect). But not always feasible (none of my kids have ridden center in years...AND I have useless headrests. sigh.)
    Here's some more info on head restraint/rear impact stuff http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/rat...estraints-test
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good