backless TB expiration

rachelandtyke

We are traveling to BC for the holidays. We are planning to travel with KF30 for DD2, RA50/EFTA/TF for DS (haven't decided and it will depend on his weight on whether he will be rfing or ffing), and BB for DD1 (we're flying to SeaTac and driving up). DD2 and DS will be in their seats on the plane, and it will be easy to throw the BB in one of our carry-on bags.

ILs seem to not like the fact that DH mentioned we were bringing a "blow-up" seat for DD1 and borrowed a backless TB from relatives. I have no idea what the DOM is on it. I think we will need the BB to get 3 across, but I'm sure the TB would be easier to buckle each time if it fits.

What is the expiration on the TB from the DOM? I didn't know if it would be different for US vs CA?

Also, is the shoulder strap adjuster required? I didn't see it in the picture they sent. I do think DD1 would need it as she is a "smaller" booster rider. She's in a Vivo and HBTB at home.

At this point, I am going to have them bring it so we can see what works better for the 3 across. Plus, it will be easier to have it and try it and say it doesn't work for whatever reason than to tell them we won't use it ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Have to figure out a way to mention, too, that the coats she bought the kids won't be worn in the car . . .

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Older Turbos -- I'm going to say pre-early 2011? - would have a 6 year expiration, and anything with a model number beginning with an '18' is good for ten years. Will they send you a picture of the sticker? The adjuster strap isn't required but would have come with it...in the bag with the screws :)

Will you be in a rental car, or your IL's car? I very much doubt anyone would ever notice, but to be perfectly accurate it wouldn't be legal to have an American seat in a Canadian-plated car, regardless of your own nationality. If it were me I wouldn't care and would do it anyway, but I don't like to leave that tidbit out in case it DOES matter to someone. We don't have the Bubblebum here.

rachelandtyke

Thanks! I am betting that it is pre-2011, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if it is expired if it is. I'll just have them bring it and then I can look it over when we get there. I'll bring the BubbleBum either way. I think if I ask too many questions now and reject it that it might be perceived that I am trying to find something wrong with it. If I go along and then reject it, then it might go over better . . . Thanks for the reminder on the screws, I might have forgotten to look for those! I do have an adjustor strap somewhere around here for when we use our seat backless, but I'm not certain where it is as that is a long way off for around here.

We are going to be in our ILs car. Buick LaCrosse. I saw a backseat of one recently, and I think we will fit. I am tempted to take all our seats to a dealer around here for a test drive, lol, so I know how best to install everything! The biggest questions are whether to try to take DD2's KF30 base and what seat to use for DS. I can easily back her base in a suitcase - we get 5 free checked bags!

Thanks for the tidbit on the legality of it. We've always been in the ILs cars when we go and always used our US seats. I can't imagine they'd give us a hard time with it since we're clearly visiting for the holidays.

rachelandtyke

OK, DOM is 1/17/08, so not expired quite yet, but soon. Screws are in. It doesn't fit in 3 across though, so we are using the BB which is a PITA to buckle because of the way the seatbelts are in ILs car.

I have DD1 center since she's least protected. MIL wants to take DD1 out in the morning, but I don't trust her to get the BB right without me there to get DD1 home. How much less safe is it for DD1 to ride outboard in the backless TB? It is a newer car, so has side curtain airbags and all that. I'd have to take out the KF30 base, but it's easier than taking out the rfing EFTA! At home she rides in a Vivo or HBTB, and I am much more comfortable with her in a HB booster, but it just wasn't possible for this trip. If I decide not to offer the outboard TB idea, she just doesn't go, which I am fine with, too, as I'm not too thrilled with the idea anyway . . .

canadiangie

At 8y4m and at her weight I would be fine with a backless booster outboard.

Teach you MIL that the red parts on the booster are important safety zones. Lap belt goes over each red zone, and shoulder belt goes under the armrest so that it is (essentially) in front of a red zone. Teach those things with your dd in the seat so she hears it too.

rachelandtyke

At 8y4m and at her weight I would be fine with a backless booster outboard.

Teach you MIL that the red parts on the booster are important safety zones. Lap belt goes over each red zone, and shoulder belt goes under the armrest so that it is (essentially) in front of a red zone. Teach those things with your dd in the seat so she hears it too.

Thank you! I do think it would be easy to teach DD1 how to buckle in it since she can buckle her HBTB at home and knows where everything belongs. I am pretty sure MIL has helped her buckle the HBTB, too, so it will be slightly familiar.

Adventuredad

How much less safe is it for DD1 to ride outboard in the backless TB?

Using a backless booster is not any less safe than using ab high back booster or a harnessed seat as long as your child is 4+ years. We know this from rear life research in US by Arbogast. Exception would be if your child is sleeping. A BB is then not a good choice since child will be out of position.

Using a hbb is recommended for kids 4-6 years since the sides often keep the kids more still. The sides or the head support of a hbb or harnessed seat does not make the seat any safer dues to pre0impact braking and forward momentum. Simply explained, when your vehicle is hit from the side your child is already out of position and unprotected.

Your 8.4 old is likely safer in a BB than in a hbb or harnessed seat according to research by Jacobsson at Volvo. This is due to the very unfortunate development of larger and heavier seats forcing kids more forward and higher in the vehicle.

rachelandtyke

Using a backless booster is not any less safe than using ab high back booster or a harnessed seat as long as your child is 4+ years. We know this from rear life research in US by Arbogast. Exception would be if your child is sleeping. A BB is then not a good choice since child will be out of position.

Using a hbb is recommended for kids 4-6 years since the sides often keep the kids more still. The sides or the head support of a hbb or harnessed seat does not make the seat any safer dues to pre0impact braking and forward momentum. Simply explained, when your vehicle is hit from the side your child is already out of position and unprotected.

Your 8.4 old is likely safer in a BB than in a hbb or harnessed seat according to research by Jacobsson at Volvo. This is due to the very unfortunate development of larger and heavier seats forcing kids more forward and higher in the vehicle.

Since HB isn't an option on this trip, I was more thinking of difference in safety between outboard and center for a backless booster. Even though she is 8+, she isn't as mature as a typical 8yo, so the sides of the HBBs really do help her to remember to stay in position. I had to keep reminding her to stay in position when we were driving here from the airport the other day in the BB.

I didn't end up sending her today as it started snowing last night and it's not an area that sees lots of snow, so I didn't think an unnecessary excursion was warranted.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC