Two Women in Hysterics Over Radian Delivery, UPS Man Expected to Recover

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My UPS guy must think I'm nuts.

So, a bit of background: I faxed my tech order form on Monday. Didn't hear a word, so I called SK this morning to make sure they got it. They did, and it shipped two days ago! Cool, so it should be here around Sat-Mon.

So Gypsy and our other BFF are over this afternoon, and we're sitting in the back yard chatting. Thomas walks out and announced "There's boxes here." Gypsy jumps up and says "Maybe it's the Radian!!!" I tell her "Nah, it's just school stuff," so she sits back down.

Then I saw the Radian on the porch. "OMG IT'S THE CARSEAT!!! THANK YOU UPS GUYTHANK YOU!!!!!!" He ran the rest of the way back to his truck.

There is seriously something wrong with us. BFF reports that Gypsy danced up the back steps! Our hands were actually shaking as we opened the box. We had a brief scuffle. Insults were traded. We then spent over two hours installing it in four different vehicles and sitting kids it.

As expected, it installed quite well with LATCH, and very poorly with the seat belt in every vehicle except my Golf. It was like it was made to install in the center of the Golf with the seat belt! Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately), installing it uncovered the horrifying fact that the center seat belt is actually broken. It slides when it's locked. :eek:

So yeah - my overall impression? It's a good seat for what it is. I'm looking forward to travelling with it, since I'll be able to use LATCH in those vehicles. I wish they'd get it tested for the reverse belt path - I think it would solve most of the install problems (seeing as how it worked quite well when I tried it... :whistle: ) My dd fits great in it.

But yeah - what a fun day!

Last edited:
ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Danced? :cool: it was more like skipped LOL

Overall impression? yeah, it's nice for three across and travel, but I wouldn't put it outboard with no side curtain airbags and I wouldn't order one blindly not knowing if it would install. TWO techs (very good techs I might add) using every "trick" in the book couldn't get the damn thing installed with the seatbelt in three of those 4 cars. OK scratch that. In the captains chairs of two of them we DID get acceptable installs, but the seatbelt would almost certainly be damaged as a result of the scrunching hard against the plastic, it would certainly cause fraying over time. I wasn't impressed, but it would technically work.

ZephyrBlue

Now that I'm done ROFLMAO ;)

Lisa, thanks for your assesment on the side impact situation. I was very wary of it when I installed it FF outboard and did not feel like my 4.5y would have any protection on the sides. Hearing it from an experienced tech makes me feel better :)

So glad you gals had fun playing, though :)

Defrost

Danced? :cool: it was more like skipped LOL

I reserve the right to embellish as needed. Besides, I believe BFF's exact words were "skip-dance-thingie!"

Overall impression? yeah, it's nice for three across and travel, but I wouldn't put it outboard with no side curtain airbags and I wouldn't order one blindly not knowing if it would install.

No kidding! I can't imagine what a first-time parent would think trying to install it.

Frenchie

I'm a long time lurker but new poster here. I have 2 Radians and I'm curious what type of vehicles you had install problems with. Thanks! Oh and your story was hilarious I can totally picture that lol.

ThreeBeans

I was going to give you rep for this post but evidently I have to 'spread it around before giving you reputation again' :p

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm a long time lurker but new poster here. I have 2 Radians and I'm curious what type of vehicles you had install problems with. Thanks! Oh and your story was hilarious I can totally picture that lol.

2005 Chrysler Town and Country captains chair
2006 Kia Sedona rear center and captains chair
2007 Mazda 5, 3rd row & captains chair
2001 VW Golf, center

We did rear and forward in all seating positions mentioned above.

LuvBug

:ROTFLMAO:

I actually told my mailman I loved him once, I was SO HAPPY to get the package he brought me lol!!! this was before carseats though :eek:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
:ROTFLMAO: I can picture the UPS guy running back to his truck. My UPS guy and Fedex lady just thing I have a carseat and stroler addiction :whistle:

3acorns4Christy

Wow! That is funny! I almost hugged my UPS guy with the Marathon coming in, I resisted but he was definitly running back to the truck.

Defrost

2005 Chrysler Town and Country captains chair
2006 Kia Sedona rear center and captains chair
2007 Mazda 5, 3rd row & captains chair
2001 VW Golf, center

We did rear and forward in all seating positions mentioned above.

Actually, did we ever install with seat belt RF? I thought we only did it with LATCH, and then just checked for fit in the other cars because RF would still be light enough to use LATCH? I should go try it RF in the rear row of the 5...

I would add that the RF center is a TIGHT fit in the Golf. By pushing it to the side slightly, I could get one front seat all the way back, but not the other. It doesn't fit between the seats. (My RF Marathon was an easier fit.)

It is absolutely not possible to install it in the 3rd row of the Mazda 5. (No LATCH.) Center row it was great with LATCH, and I just tried it with seat belt, and it was a breeze. In the Kia and the T&C, we could only get a good install by reclining the seats and moving them forward; that was unnecessary in the center row Mazda 5. I just buckled it & pulled & it was tight. The difference is that the belt stalk in the 5 is much lower.

Defrost

Okay, it'll RF fairly easily in the third row, but not FF. I had to twist the belt stalk 2 & 1/2 times, and the center seat in front of it has to be all the way forward - not much leg room. Finding a RF tethering location will be tricky if you need to use the TA for a carseat on the seat in the center row.

And I agree with Gypsy - I'd prefer something with more SIP if I didn't have side-curtain airbags, depending on the install. It's narrow enough it might sit far enough away that the harness would prevent the head from hitting the window, but it would bother me if the carseat were jammed up against it, yk?

Last edited:

LuvBug

It's narrow enough it might sit far enough away that the harness would prevent the head from hitting the window, but it would bother me if the carseat were jammed up against it, yk?

so you would be ok with it outboard if the vehicle seat was set away, say 6" or so, from the vehicle door? a lot of vans are like that which is why Im seriously considering one. Being raised up and set away from the door would give more SIP than being street level and pressed against the door like in my car :rolleyes:

Defrost

so you would be ok with it outboard if the vehicle seat was set away, say 6" or so, from the vehicle door? a lot of vans are like that which is why Im seriously considering one. Being raised up and set away from the door would give more SIP than being street level and pressed against the door like in my car :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what I meant. For example, in the Golf, the Radian had gobs of room outboard. I mean, like, GOBS! :D So, even in that little car, I could probably get the seat far enough from the window to feel comfortable with it. (Of course, the Golf has side-curtain airbags, but you get my point.)

Defrost

Aw, you guys are all just happy to have a diversion from waiting for SPB's post on the Signo! ;)

*runs off to try to find Ulrike*

arly1983

Hmmm, the only two cars I have it in with side curtain airbags are my van (05 Frestar) and DH's truck (98 f-150) both installations are rock solid and there are at least six inches from the window. Top tethered in the van and we are in the process of getting an anchor in the truck....Would those situations be ok?

Defrost

Hmmm, the only two cars I have it in with side curtain airbags are my van (05 Frestar) and DH's truck (98 f-150) both installations are rock solid and there are at least six inches from the window. Top tethered in the van and we are in the process of getting an anchor in the truck....Would those situations be ok?

Wait, do you mean those vehicles DO have side-curtain airbags or DON'T have them?

Our concern is the lack of SIP on the Radian. If the vehicle has side-curtain airbags, it's not really a big deal. But if the vehicle does NOT have side-curtain airbags, and the seat doesn't either, there's not SIP for the child.

TN Mary

This is why I want a car with side curtain airbags!! And darn it - we also have GEN 3 belts! :( :thumbsdown:

But right now, we have our Radian FF latched on the 2nd row bench seat in an 02 Caravan. No side curtain airbags, but at least my baby (well, she's almost 4 :eek:) is right in the middle of the vehicle. And that seat is in there rock solid.

My other 2 are in the 3rd row... Husky and Compass booster.
I'm prayin' we're safe till we get our new van.

Congratulations on the Radian!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC