interesting convo with Right Start

laurenrachey

I talked with a lady over the phone, and she was asking me how old DC was and how much he weighed, and when I mentioned that he was RF, she :eek: How old did you say he was?? WOW I've never even heard of a kid that old RF! I have four kids. I didn't know that. etc I explained that it had be shown to have much less impact on kids in crash tests, and was a growing safety trend. I don't think I did a very good job explaining, and she didn't discourage me at all, but just was really surprised/interested. I wonder if she'll look into it anymore. She didn't mention how old her kids were or anything. I think her name was Angie (?) Hmm. Just thought that was interesting.

ADS

Yoshi

Most people have no idea. Even people with kids.....Not only are most of the young toddlers I see FF, most 3 yr olds are in boosters already. I still can't figure out WHY this can't be more publicized. :confused: I have NEVER see a RF child over age 18 months!!!!!And that includes my own daughter who was FF at 14 months because I thought she had to be. So it doesn't surprise me at all what she said.

mom2boys

Doesn't suprise me either. I listened to my pediatrician with both my kids and they said that after 1 year and 20 lbs. they could be forward facing. So, I didn't realize at all that it was safer rear facing. There just isn't a lot of knowledge out there about car seats, and it is sad. I have learned a ton since looking at this board in the past few months. Actually, I now feel a little guilty for not knowing this stuff in the past. I think about it and I say to myself, "My goodness. Why didn't I put more thought into car seats, as my kids ride in them every day." I just assume that what I have heard from multiple people is the way to go. I don't know why it isn't out there more about RF weight limits, car seats having expiration dates, etc.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Your right about the info not being out there.

Thankfully I've convinced my best friend to keep her almost 16 month old RF. She used to be a foster care worker and got so upset at the lack of training(read NO training) they got when it came to using carseats with kids. Of course they had a bunch of 3 in 1's that were ratty too. She got talking with her co-workers about it.....and even told them about internal decapation...and they were just shocked by it...including someone with a child younger than hers.

So the word is getting out there....just far too slowly!

Susan

keri1292

I've never seen extended RFing in real life. I did spot a Regent in the parking lot of preschool tho!

southpawboston

i spotted ERF once outside my house. A large boy (probably around 4?) was ERFing in a green mazda MPV as they drove past my house. about all i saw was thje boy's legs, which were pointing up at a sharp angle, with his feet pushing on the headrest, lol (i wonder if that would promote sunburn on his ankles? lol...). i know, i shouldn't laugh, but unlike in photos that i see here, IRL it did seem strange and somewhat funny.

amy919

I think I've seen it maybe once. Kaylie was RF until she was almost 2, but mostly because it took her until she was about 20 months to hit the 20 pound mark and then I was just used to it, she didn't care and I was too lazy to turn it around.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC