3 year old wwyd ?

jmwesterman

My 3 year old 28.5lb daughter is still rear facing. Until recently when she rode with a friend who was forward facing she never knew there was another way to sit. Now she frequently asks to "see me" meaning she wants to forward face. It's been fairly easy to distract her as we don't drive much and usually only 2 miles or so in town. My husband recently got a new company car and we are driving it over 7 hours for Thanksgiving. Normally she rides in my SUV or our truck which sit up higher. Now when she rides in the car she constantly complains about not being able to see. I'm afraid it's going to be a long trip. Would you feel comfortable turning her for the trip? I'm so torn on what to do and my husband just says to turn her around for the trip, but then I'm nervous about the "what if".

ADS

Keeyamah

It's easier to sleep while Rfing, so I would keep her Rfing. I actually turned my oldest back to Rfing for a long trip for that reason. He had gotten turned early to stop the arguments my DH and I were having every time we went somewhere as a family. That's my vote and my reason for it.

krasota

At that age, my son was amenable to safety concerns. If I told him RF was safer, he wanted to be RF.

I did occasionally put him FF for certain drives (wanted him to see some scenery in the Smokies) but if he felt sleepy, he'd beg me to stop and flip his seat back to RF because he found it much more comfortable to sleep that way. I'd also sometimes flip him FF so that he could see the DVD on long trips. But overall, he preferred to be RF and would ask to stay that way for comfort and safety-sake. His seat was simple to flip and reinstall, so it didn't usually bother me to mess about, though I wasn't terribly happy the last time I did it--tons of sleet down my neck that night. Gah.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My daughter was that age when I gave her a soft lightweight mirror to hold so she could play "spy" in the car.

MommyShannon

Especially for a trip I'd keep her rear facing. Maybe one of you can sit beside her while she's awake. Toys are much easier to hold on to rf too.

jmwesterman

Thanks everyone! Definitely decided to keep her rear facing. I rigged the DVD player on the back headrest so she can watch it normally. Great idea on the mirror! She has one on the back headrest (well normally when the DVD player isn't there), but I will have to stop and get her one to hold. Not much room for me to sit back there unfortunately. The 11 month old and the dog will also be back there. I think she likes the idea of forward facing, but having never done it I have a feeling she would be complaining she wasn't as comfy and want to sit like little brother does. Crossing my fingers for a drama free road trip!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
This won't work if she is newly 3, but if she is headed towards 4, you can tell her that at age 4, you will let her FF. My daughter always does better ifthere is somethign she can look forward to. But it depends on how long you have to go and how well your child grasps time. My son is awful with time, so it doesn't work as well with him, because like, every day he woudlbe " is it my birthday yet?" "No, it's in 3 months." " oh.. so... tomorrow?" "No, THREE MONTHS." etc. lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC