Signo- heard back from Gayle finally

mom2boys

So, I emailed Gayle a while back and asked her:

1. What is the current ship date for the Signo?
2. Someone was at the ABc Kids Show and said the Signo top harness slot was 17.75". I thought it was going to be the same as the Como, at 19". Please clarify.

HER ANSWER:

First of all, I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. The release date for the Signo seat is the end of October. The top slot height is closer to 19” than 17.5”.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Gayle Babcock

Customer Service

RECARO North America Child Seat Division

So, I am sure the release date will change, but I wanted to post what she said. I don't know why an exact- the Signo harness height is 19"- is not possible. What is this "it's closer to" business, shouldn't they know? Anyway, I hope it is 19", as my son is very long torso'd.

ADS

LuvBug

if they measure it without the cover they are going to get a different measurement. I believe the britax and SKJP measure without the cover to get 18", but you arent suppose to ride without the cover... so that is pointless :rolleyes:

mom2boys

I asked her about the Rightstart shipment and she told me this was a "test". Whatever that means. I hope that they hear feedback and make some changes prior to releasing it. That would delay the release date, but if the seats are better because of it I would be happy (I can't believe I am saying I would still wait for changes, I must be loosing my mind at the moment as I have been waiting since May) :) )

southpawboston

Wonder if they are testing out how people like the Cosco-style buckle...

i might call her today and ask if they'd swap the old style for me if this one doesn't work out.

i thought about this, and i'm wondering if my conversation with paul prompted the last minute change. i told him about the como i tested, and commented on the horrible strap twisting, and how it was just like the RYS. in that same conversation, i pointed out how the straps on my $40 scenera don't have that problem. he was quite surprised. IIRC, that conversation predated the DOM of my signo. paul also seemed to be of the opinion that parts substitution for the end consumer was not favored by recaro (he seemed very surprised that SK hands out new buckle tongues like candy). he thought that allowing the end user to replace parts like that posed a liability issue. we'll see as time goes by how good CS is at recaro...

arly1983

Gosh, SPB, If your harness does work out....I much prefer the cosco style buckle (even though I dislike it) to the twisty straps. Maybe they would switch for the Como owners.

southpawboston

Gosh, SPB, If your harness does work out....I much prefer the cosco style buckle (even though I dislike it) to the twisty straps. Maybe they would switch for the Como owners.

i would only want to swap back to the twisty kind if, a) the tongues poke DD2's belly, causing discomfort, and b) if techs who look at the pics i have up think that the harness fit is not good on her (with the long buckle strap). i would choose twisty straps over either of those situations.

arly1983

You know how Cosco has a shorter crotch strap on the Apex but when you child gets bigger, the buckle is shaped wrong and it pokes into their legs? When you call them, they send you a MUCH longer crotch strap with the same buckle...

I wonder if Recaro Signo has the much longer crotch strap buckle they send out....might be to make this buckle work, you have to use two different lengths of crotch straps..

It seems like a design flaw on MRRI's part...(don't they make the buckle?)

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh gosh, that's how the Triumph buckle hit my DD2, and I hated it!! I hated tightening the straps and feeling that buckle dig into her little tummy :( Gosh I would be really upset if the Signo does the same thing.

SPB, did you comment on the difficulty of raising/lowering the headrest & harness on the Signo? I remember reading it was pretty difficult. I have a hard enough time with the Boulevard...

southpawboston

wendythomas reported at the ABCkids show that it was difficult to turn the knobs. it must have been a pre-production unit. this one is fairly easy. but, it does take MANY turns to go the whole distance from top to bottom or vice versa. from an engineer's standpoint, i don't like how there's no nice signal that you've reached the end. it just gets hard to turn. they could have designed in a nice click or some type of tactile feedback that you've reached the end. instead, it just gets hard to turn, and you feel like you're not sure if you should keep trying to go more or just stop. KWIM? but if you're anywhere between top or bottom, it's really easy. how is it on the BV?

southpawboston

I asked her about the Rightstart shipment and she told me this was a "test". Whatever that means. I hope that they hear feedback and make some changes prior to releasing it. That would delay the release date, but if the seats are better because of it I would be happy (I can't believe I am saying I would still wait for changes, I must be loosing my mind at the moment as I have been waiting since May) :) )

someone at recaro is lying, and it sounds like gayle. i asked gayle about this, and she said it's no "test". according to her, rightstart simply wanted to be the first with the new recaros, and were willing to pay the air freight to have 16 seats flown direct to them from the factory in china, while everybody else is waiting for the boat shipment. this sounds plausible, when you consider the 9-10-07 DOM of my unit. according to gayle, these seats are of the same production lot (and presumably with similar DOMs) as the ones that are sitting on a boat somewhere on the pacific.

but what the *true* story is, is anyone's guess.

tl01

I called Recaro today and spoke with Gayle about the new Signo buckle. I told her about my horribly twisty straps on my Como and that I loved the seat otherwise. She said she'd check with the engineer to see what can be done. I think everyone with Comos should call in and perhaps we can get something to happen.

crunchierthanthou

i might call her today and ask if they'd swap the old style for me if this one doesn't work out.

i thought about this, and i'm wondering if my conversation with paul prompted the last minute change. i told him about the como i tested, and commented on the horrible strap twisting, and how it was just like the RYS. in that same conversation, i pointed out how the straps on my $40 scenera don't have that problem. he was quite surprised. IIRC, that conversation predated the DOM of my signo. paul also seemed to be of the opinion that parts substitution for the end consumer was not favored by recaro (he seemed very surprised that SK hands out new buckle tongues like candy). he thought that allowing the end user to replace parts like that posed a liability issue. we'll see as time goes by how good CS is at recaro...

Such power! Such influence! :p They must have really been hopping to make the switch if that was the impetus. It was already late Friday night in China when you spoke with him. ;) Whether that was the cause or not, I'm anxious to see a small infant in the Signo. I'm imagining a chest buckle.

wendythomas reported at the ABCkids show that it was difficult to turn the knobs. it must have been a pre-production unit. this one is fairly easy. but, it does take MANY turns to go the whole distance from top to bottom or vice versa. from an engineer's standpoint, i don't like how there's no nice signal that you've reached the end. it just gets hard to turn. they could have designed in a nice click or some type of tactile feedback that you've reached the end. instead, it just gets hard to turn, and you feel like you're not sure if you should keep trying to go more or just stop. KWIM? but if you're anywhere between top or bottom, it's really easy. how is it on the BV?

I believe it was Heather/murphydog77 who reported on the Signo from the ABC Kids show. It's good to know that it doesn't seem to be an issue on the more recent units.

TracyRee

I called Recaro today and spoke with Gayle about the new Signo buckle. I told her about my horribly twisty straps on my Como and that I loved the seat otherwise. She said she'd check with the engineer to see what can be done. I think everyone with Comos should call in and perhaps we can get something to happen.

So are you hoping to get them replaced with the Signo buckes and long crotch strap?

The Signo buckles and a normal crotch strap and I'd be in car seat heaven.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

Thank you! On the BV they are the same way--it gets hard to turn and I just kinda say "I *guess* it's at the top?!" It would be nice to have some way of knowing when you're at the top (or bottom) setting so one is not temped to try & force it.

mom2boys

someone at recaro is lying, and it sounds like gayle. i asked gayle about this, and she said it's no "test". according to her, rightstart simply wanted to be the first with the new recaros, and were willing to pay the air freight to have 16 seats flown direct to them from the factory in china, while everybody else is waiting for the boat shipment. this sounds plausible, when you consider the 9-10-07 DOM of my unit. according to gayle, these seats are of the same production lot (and presumably with similar DOMs) as the ones that are sitting on a boat somewhere on the pacific.

but what the *true* story is, is anyone's guess.

Yeah, that would be Gayle. I have an email in my inbox from her specifically saying it was a "test". Boy, does she irk me!!! :mad: All she had to say was what she told you. I know, maybe someone snuck on her computer while she was in the bathroom and wrote than email and sent it to me.:hitselfonhead: Whatever!

Does the buckle have it where you have to align the two pieces together before putting it into the crotch part? I hate that, but I would live with it if it meant no twisty straps.

I am thinking that Recaro may have listened to you SPB when you complained about the twisty straps and how Cosco's seat doesn't do that. I think that's great that they tried to help. I guess no seat is perfect. But, the crotch strap does need to be shorter for your little one.

southpawboston

Does the buckle have it where you have to align the two pieces together before putting it into the crotch part? I hate that, but I would live with it if it meant no twisty straps..

you're referring to puzzle-tongues, or something like that. no, it's not like that. each one locks into the buckle separately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC