Page 91 of the LATCH manual

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, but it depends on the seat :). (Britax/Graco/Dorel/Recaro and a few others allow it...Chicco/Combi/Evenflo/Sunshine Kids and a few others do NOT allow it. Ford does allow it as long as the seat maker allows it :) )

So since this post is getting the loud sound of crickets in response, I guess I'll have to find the time to list them out and post pop quizzes on the material, huh? :p

Mama2J

I'm interested to see the list, since I'm shopping for a new car. I supposed it doesn't matter too much since I can just as well use the seatbelt. But I am curious which ones can use the LATCH.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Dude, are you trying to make me neurotic?? I have a hard enough time with peeking in people's cars as it is - if I knew off the top of my head which ones were incorrectly installed with center LATCH, I'd go nuts! ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Julie, if you felt so inclined to type the list, it would be fabulous for me. ;)

Someone had posted before that Sunshine Kids allowed their seats to be installed with non-standards lower anchor spacing. Apparently not though..

Good to know Evenflo blanketly doesn't allow it - you often don't see this addressed either way in the manual.

Although most of the seats I see are cosco/dorel with the exception of infant carriers.

Mama2J

Good to know Evenflo blanketly doesn't allow it - you often don't see this addressed either way in the manual.

I didn't know about Evenflo not allowing it. I had our Evenflo installed center LATCH for 3 years! I don't think it was in the manual either.

scatterbunny

If it's not in the manual, I assume you CAN'T do it.

And no, I haven't memorized anything from the LATCH manual yet. :eek: Except the stuff I needed to know already, like tethering to a seatbelt and tethering beyond vehicle manufacturer's stated limits. I just look up what I need to know when I need to know it.

Mama2J

If it's not in the manual, I assume you CAN'T do it.

I'm wondering though, how would the average person know that you cannot use certain seats with center LATCH if it is not mentioned either way in the carseat manual? If the vehicle manual says/indicates it is ok, but the carseat manufacturer doesn't allow it, but doesn't say either way in the seat manual, that is not something most people (including myself before finding this site) would even think about.

mom2riley

Yup, but it depends on the seat :). (Britax/Graco/Dorel/Recaro and a few others allow it...Chicco/Combi/Evenflo/Sunshine Kids and a few others do NOT allow it. Ford does allow it as long as the seat maker allows it :) )

So since this post is getting the loud sound of crickets in response, I guess I'll have to find the time to list them out and post pop quizzes on the material, huh? :p

Thank you Julie :) When we bought our Escape 2yrs ago I was all excited to have latch. I posted pics of my center install using latch with a Graco seat on another carseat board. I was quickly told by another member that I was not allowed to use latch in the center. I always wondered if she was right as I thought I had heard otherwise. Now I know, lol.

Melizerd

I'm wondering though, how would the average person know that you cannot use certain seats with center LATCH if it is not mentioned either way in the carseat manual? If the vehicle manual says/indicates it is ok, but the carseat manufacturer doesn't allow it, but doesn't say either way in the seat manual, that is not something most people (including myself before finding this site) would even think about.

That's not really fair of them to assume that everyone knows that. I'm sure there are lots of people out there using it because they thought to check their car manual which said it was okay and didn't have any way to know that the seat manufacturer didn't allow it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Not fair, no, but points to a reality we can't ignore: That it's probably not dangerous at all. If these center 'unapproved' anchors were ripping out routinely and hurting kids, there would be warnings and labels out the wazoo to prevent people from using them. People ARE using them wrong, and kids AREN'T getting hurt, and that's why more and more mfrs. are allowing it. I'm not saying do it, I still *strongly* advocate only using a center/non standard distance set of lower anchors IF BOTH manuals allow it, but I'm just thinking we don't need to seriously freak if we see seats installed this way :whistle:

Stresch

Well, the car manual should say something about it being "non-standard spacing" and only okay if the car seat manufacturer allows it. So if you read the one manual, it will (or at least should) direct you to the other.

I know the Escape said it wouldn't work with rigid LATCH, which I guess is obvious and said something about how far apart the anchors were. The Graco SS1 manual said non standard spacing (provided it was within some range) was okay if the car manufacturer recommended it, which I thought was an odd choice of word.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Can you get latch manuals even if you are not a tech?

You don't have to be a tech to buy it. Anyone who wants one can order from the Safe Ride News, or put together a group order to get a discount on multiple copies. You can click on http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_manualA.htm for info. and an order form.

I haven't memorized page 91 yet, lol, and may never completely do so, but I do refer to the LATCH manual a lot. It's handy for helping out here on the board, at seat checks, and a useful reference for car shopping with carseat installations in mind. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC