Anybody willing to get measurements for me?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm specifically looking for harness length from the top slot to buckle and then to where the hip strap enters the shell..

The Triumph that's my fall back seat for casted kids is going to expire fairly soon and will need to be replaced. One of the things that make it work is the super long harness.

I'm most interested in the Foonf, the Triumph 65, the NextFit, and the Peg, but something else may work if it happens to have a long enough harness and the correct shape..

I don't need Radian, Symphony, SmartSeat, Secure Kid Britax, or anything with a narrow seat pan and high sides at the knee.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I can do the NextFit once mine arrives (hoping tomorrow or Thursday.) Uness someone beats me to it. :)

Do you want the harness lengthened all of the way out, and then measured like that? All as one measurement, or as two separate measurements (top slots to buckle, buckle to hip strap attachment point - or top slots, through buckle, to hip attachment point?)

How would the SureRide/Titan65 be for shape?

Keeyamah

Until/Unless they lengthen the harness on the Sureride, I don't know that it would work well. I can barely fit a near the weight limit 6 yr old in it (child on the 5th/second for the top slots). The harness is only about 32" from end to hip slot (unhooked from splitter plate).

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Until/Unless they lengthen the harness on the Sureride, I don't know that it would work well. I can barley fit a near the weight limit 6 yr old in it (child on the 5th/second for the top slots). The harness is only about 32" from end to hip slot (unhooked from splitter plate).

I'll check mine tomorrow. I can buckle a 77# 7.5yo in mine. Not much excess left, but he's over the weight. He is at the next to top slot, possibly needs top if installed, but I haven't tried since he's over weight limit.

Keeyamah

I'll check mine tomorrow. I can buckle a 77# 7.5yo in mine. Not much excess left, but he's over the weight. He is at the next to top slot, possibly needs top if installed, but I haven't tried since he's over weight limit.

Yeah, I could just, with great difficulty, get a 70# 8 yr old in it who is even with the second from the top slots. She had no harness adjuster strap left, none. It wasn't in the car, I was playing with it in the house.

safeinthecar

I can do the NextFit once mine arrives (hoping tomorrow or Thursday.) Uness someone beats me to it. :)

Do you want the harness lengthened all of the way out, and then measured like that? All as one measurement, or as two separate measurements (top slots to buckle, buckle to hip strap attachment point - or top slots, through buckle, to hip attachment point?)

Yes, with the harness lengthened as much as possible and all the slack at the hip. I need it in two measurements, the first in a straight line from the top slots to the buckle, the second from the buckle to the hip slot. I need overall length, but I also need to know how much of that is a function of the top slot height. For example, the Frontier has the longest overall harness, but 16 inches or so of it is required just to reach the top slots. The same length harness on a seat with 14 inch top slots (would be completely unusable but makes for a drastic example) would allow much more slack at the hips than the Frontier.

The SureRide/Titan is a no go. The shell by the thighs is too high and straight for a kid casted in an abducted position.

Mags462

Nextfit - 31in harness overall length.....

And 17in of that is required to go from the top harness slot to buckle. There is the extra 14in of harness that could be used in the hip area.

I'm not 100% sure i did that right, but after re-reading your questions several times i think i did ;)

Clek CPST

Foonf
- top slot to top edge of buckle tongue 13.5" approximately.
- top slot to outer crotch buckle slot at the top of the seat pad is 18.75"
- harness webbing from buckle tongue to hip strap is 17"
- top harness slot without compressing the seat pad is 17"

If you need any variations on the measurements I can easily get it for you. :)

safeinthecar

Foonf
- top slot to top edge of buckle tongue 13.5" approximately.
- top slot to outer crotch buckle slot at the top of the seat pad is 18.75"
- harness webbing from buckle tongue to hip strap is 17"
- top harness slot without compressing the seat pad is 17"

If you need any variations on the measurements I can easily get it for you. :)

Oh wow. That really puts the foonf out there as a front runner.

How great is the forward facing recline?

momtoo3

Okay, I think I did it right...I pulled the harness all the way loose and raised the headrest to the top slots. Then I pulled all the slack into the hip area so the chest area was tight.
Because of the continuous harness it was a bit hard to measure but I think these are pretty accurate:
Shoulder slot to buckle was about 13 inches
Hip slot to buckle was about 16.5 inches
Total harness length on that side was 29.5-30 inches.
I measured total harness length on the other side at 29.5 inches so I think they were pretty equal.

Does a continuous harness help in that situation?

Clek CPST

Oh wow. That really puts the foonf out there as a front runner.

How great is the forward facing recline?

There are 2 recline positions for forward facing - position 1 is quite upright, position 2 the recline varies depending on how you install the seat. I've found in some vehicles when it's installed ff'ing with LATCH recline 2 can be fairly upright when it's pushed in close to the seat back, but I've also seen a good chunk of recline with it as well. The requirement so far as contact with the vehicle seat goes is that some of the back of the car seat is in touch with the vehicle seat or headrest.

safeinthecar

Does a continuous harness help in that situation?

A continuos harness can help perfect the fit, but it usually works without. I find that the harness wears against the cast very quickly if parents try to saw it back and forth at the hips, but as long as the harness is replaceable, that's not too big a deal.

safeinthecar

Bumping this thread to see if I can get any additional seats measured. Triumph expires in May, so I'm at the point of finalizing my choice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC