scooter

ADS

bubbaray

Mine could. DD2 used a 3wheeled scooter from just under age 3. She was always wanting to use DD1s Razor definitely by age 4. I got her her own at age 5 but should have done it earlier to stave off all the fighting.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree that a two-wheeled Razor is good for most four-year-olds. :) My DN began using his Razor when he was about three or three-and-a-half.

jasminegrl

good to know that, thank you i guess i need to do some more looking online at 2-wheeled ones, maybe i will get a 3 wheel one for my 2yr old then

bubbaray

That would be a good idea. I would get knee and elbow pads for the 2yo along with a helmet. The 4yo may or may not need the pads, depends on the child's balance. IMO the 2yo will need the pads. GL!

jasminegrl

they both already have helmets and my 4yo has pads from getting roller skates for her birthday last year she can use and i will have to get some for my 2yo.

Carolinadaisy

I bought a 3 wheeled scooter for my ds1 last year at age 4.5 and several of my friends have 3 wheeled scooters for 4 & 5 year olds. I think that is fine if it is what you are more comfortable with. I knew my son at age 4 couldn't handle a 2 wheeled scooter easily. He has had so much fun wi the 2 wheeled one and still loves it at 5.5. He is just getting a bit fall for it and probably approaching the weight limit. But I bought it intending to pass it down to ds2.

We have this one because I caught a great sale on it last year before Christmas.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/YBIKE-GLX-Scooter-Blue-12cm/dp/B00BTTFK7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384916332&sr=8-1&keywords=Ybike+glider"]Amazon.com: YBIKE GLX Scooter, Blue, 12cm: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

They now have another version with an adjustable handlebar. I would upgrade my 5.5 yr old to it, but it's more than I want to spend for a new scooter. We may get a razor this year since his balance is better. He is now riding a bike without training wheels which I credit his little brother's strider bike...amazing how much that helps with balance.

I also like this one: http://www.target.com/p/radio-flyer...6#prodSlot=large_1_9&term=Radio+flyer+scooter

Watch for sales as it gets closer to Christmas.

mscarder

If I were going to get a three wheeled one it would be the two wheels in the back. When theres two wheels in the front steering is almost impossible.

Carolinadaisy

A lot of the 3 wheeled scooters with 2 wheels in front have a great lean to turn feature. Little tikes has a new one out as well on the walmart website in several colors. Just know that most have a 44 lb weight limit unless you buy a maxikick, or the ybike glx pro, but those are more expensive. That 44 lb limit is why we are now ending a new scooter for our 5 yr old. I think he would still like a 3 wheeled one since that what he is used to, but $80 or more is not in the budget for a bigger one so he will probably get the $19 razor from target.

This is the one at wish we bought last year, but I don't think it was out yet. It has an adjustable handlebar and higher weight limit. If it goes on sale for under $50, we will probably get one. I am still not ready for the 2 wheeled ones,

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTTFK5Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=0V89VZP5KX9DQFG4252N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083442&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: YBIKE GLX Pro Scooter, Black/Red, 12cm: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Last edited:

Meg

My boys have a 3-wheel Razor scooter that they love: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VEO9S4/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1385058570&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70"]Razor Jr. Folding Kiddie Kick Scooter (Blue):Amazon:Sports & Outdoors[/ame] At that age, I would pick 3 wheels over 2, especially since you have younger kids to pass it down to eventually when she's ready to switch to 2 wheels.

lanwenyi

I got my DD one with 2 wheels in back when she was 2.5. I've regretted it ever since. If you really want a 3 wheel one, I'd get one with the 2 wheels in front and a single wheel in back.

That said, at 4yo, I'd get a 2wheel scooter. I got my DD one at 4y3m (Christmas after her 4th bday) and DS was riding on it a few months after he turned 3. He just turned 4 and never touches the 3 wheeled scooter anymore.

Just be sure that she always wears a helmet. You can get knee/elbow pads if she's afraid of falls (mine aren't, so we don't have those. Mine have never gotten more than a minor scratch). Make sure she's wearing shoes you aren't worried about getting toe-scuffs!

Athena

I got my DD one with 2 wheels in back when she was 2.5. I've regretted it ever since.

Why? My kids loved theirs.

Around 4yo, we chose the 3 wheeled, 2 in back scooters and my kids have loved them. DD1 isn't that coordinated and did great with it. However, OP, my kids weren't already competent on rollerskates at 4yo, so, in that case, the 2 wheeled seems fine.

We learned the hard way we should have bought pads, so I'd highly recommend them, especially for a new scooter rider.

lanwenyi

Why? My kids loved theirs.

My friend got her kid one with 2 wheels in the front at the same time. That one was:
-much narrower at the platform, giving the child a more natural push platform to transition to a 2wheel scooter
-much easier to steer/maneuver

The platform was so wide on my 3wheel scooter (with the 2 wheels in the back) that it forced my child into an unnaturally wide stance and didn't prepare them for how to ride a 2wheel scooter.

Some 3wheel scooters may not be as bad as mine. Kids that are not as short as mine (and my kids have unnaturally short legs to go with their unnaturally long torsos), might not be forced into quite as wide of a stance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC