Check out what I found!

ignora

Senior Community Member
I found this in a field near the side of the road a few weeks ago...

I just now downloaded the pictures off my camera. I braved the bugs and dirt so that some fool wouldn't pick it up and use it. I didn't even want to touch it, let alone put it in my car...

1445719897_55ad1d137e.jpg

It's a Cosco convertible of some sort... anybody know? There are holes on the sides up near the top... so maybe it was an overhead sheild at one point? The imprint on the back says '02'... so that's the DOM? All the stickers on the thing are gone. So, it might not even be expired... but it's still ugly.

Here are the rest of the pictures...

Anyway, I don't have it anymore. I don't have any cool 'chop-em-up' pictures, unfortunately. I need one of those chop saws Threebeans has! We just made sure it got squished by the trash guys.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

My best guess is the Touriva/Regal Ride. There were (are?) regular and OHS versions.

I think Cosco/Dorel stamps expiration date, not manufacture. At least, that's their current practice. I'm sure my Scenera is stamped 2011.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Looks like it used to be an OHS - there's no slots for the lap portion of a 5pt, and the plastic pieces where the shield would be are punched out..

Those little dials are used to mark DOM in case the stickers disappear - there's likely another larger imprint in the plastic somewhere saying do not use after 20XX

Holy yucky seat batman - good for you for getting it off the street and making sure it got destroyed. :thumbsup:

bbartlettnfld

I would say it actually was a 5 pt that has been re-threaded wrong, it looks to me like there are two buckle tongs threaded on to the harness.

Its def. an old touriva

BethAnn

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think the OHS ones had puzzle buckles...? ALL convertibles of the cheaper genre have those holes on the side for shields to be added, even the 5 pts. 2002! That puppy's still good, clean it up and sell it on ebay! (JUST KIDDING!!!!). Probably Touriva, I think it had a less 'full wrap' cover than the Regal Ride...

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Nodding in agreement here. It looks like a long lost twin to the Touriva we used to have for DD1, right down to the cover fabric and paper clip style chest clip. Ours had a DOM in 2000, and went to the great carseat landfill in the sky. :whistle:

mominabigtruck

Around here that's a classic wic seat. They handed out those seats in that exact pattern to everyone. I bet I could drive to the walmart right now and find at least one of those in the parking lot. Chances are it'd look just like that one too.:thumbsdown:

didymama

i have one of these sitting in my mom's barn awaiting it's fate. it's a touriva. my oldest had one very similar when he was born. we still have the box!

rebeccah5

Okay, only on this forum would we all be this understanding of why you pulled over and grabbed this seat! LOL! Good for you!

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Looks like a Touriva.. We've had worse than that come into our car seat checks before.. heck, I see worse than that at school drop offs...

Oh, and thanks for reminding me to walk over and get the old Evenflo seat out of my neighbors trash can.. I'll email her right now and let her know I did.. LOL. She's not home..

ignora

Senior Community Member
Thanks, everyone, for the info on it being a Touriva. I'm clueless about most older seats...

As for it being a 5-pt or an OHS... I wish now that I had taken some close-up pictures of the harness itself. I just didn't want to touch the thing any more than I had to. I might catch something! :whistle:

I did look for a "do not use after 20XX" stamp, but couldn't find one. Maybe it was caked with old dirt or something. But, I did try. All I could find was the clock-looking thing...

2002! That puppy's still good, clean it up and sell it on ebay!

Darn!! I knew I should have kept it longer!! :ROTFLMAO:

Okay, only on this forum would we all be this understanding of why you pulled over and grabbed this seat!

No doubt! :love:

Garbage picker!

:D You reminded me that I forgot to tell you guys one of the best parts! When I saw it and pulled over, there was a homeless person with a shopping cart full of stuff walking nearby.... and he looked at me like I was a crazy person for picking up this seat! It was actually a little embarassing. :eek: I felt like I needed to explain myself. Not that I did... but still...

Loves2sing

All I can say is EWWWWWW! That thing is gross, almost as bad as my friend's digusting ComfortSport. But she was actually USING it! It wasn't expired, but it was DISGUSTING! The Touriva actually looked cleaner than her comfortsport. So gross.

sb518

that harness is definalty for a 5point, complete with the puzzle buckles. I'm not sure if that cover is even the original, it doesn't even seem to reach the holes where the elastics are supposed to be threaded in the front. Also it doesn't look like there is even slits for the 5 point harness so maybe it's a cover from a completely different seat. It looks like somebody took the harness out and had NO IDEA how to thread it back in right so they just kinda guessed. Scary to think somebody would use that! Glad you picked it up!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC