Question Carseat

U

Unregistered

Hi my son just turned 4 and weighs about 34 lbs. he is in eveno toddler carseat and I was wondering when I should switch him to a high back booster seat?

Thanks

Maura

ADS

hrice

Welcome to car-seat.org!

Most children are ready for a booster at 5.5-6 years old. They need to be able to sit still the entire ride and not lean out of the seatbelt before they can be trusted to be in a booster.

What Evenflo seat is your son currently in? What vehicle do you drive and are you using LATCH or seatbelt to install the seat?

wavegal

Another thing to add is many boosters have a minimum weight of 40 pounds. A newly turned 4 year old is generally not mature enough to properly ride in a booster all the time.

Jan06twinmom

Hi my son just turned 4 and weighs about 34 lbs. he is in eveno toddler carseat and I was wondering when I should switch him to a high back booster seat?

Thanks

Maura

Welcome to our community! Glad that you found us:)

I agree with the other responses about keeping him in a harness seat. I think the 4yo minimum listed on booster seats is very misleading. Most children are not ready to safely sit in a booster seat until they are around 5 to 6 years old. As a parent, you will need to make the decision based on knowing your child's ability to listen, follow directions, and sit properly in a booster seat.

Since you are here, we would love to make sure your son fits in his current car seat and that he is safe in the car. What seat is your son currently riding in? Some harness seats have a 40lb limit, which your son is definitely under. With the harness seat, you also want to look at where his shoulders are in relationship to the harness strap. His shoulders should be AT or BELOW the harness. If his shoulders are AT the same height as the harness straps, you will need to move his harness straps up. If he is already on the highest harness straps and his shoulders are AT or ABOVE the harness, then he will need a new car seat to keep him safe.

Please let us know if we can help more.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC