installing evenflo symphony

athuyghe

I am using a 2009 Evenflo Symphony (which I HATE by the way) RF while waiting for the 2014 Peg convertibles to become available. I was able to install it properly and securely RF (tech checked) in my 2010 Chevy Equinox when I used it for my daughter, but am having a terrible time installing RF in my 2011 Chrysler Town and Country in the rear captain's seat. Hoping someone has some answers to some of my questions/concerns.

~ One noodle was not enough to make it level. A three noodle triangle was too much. I cut a noodle in half the long way to make a 1 and 1/2 noodle. That wasn't enough. I ended up having to stack 3 folded towels under the 1 and 1/2 noodle to get it level. IS THIS SAFE???

~ The seat is technically secure - does not "move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the vehicle belt path" as stated in the manual, but it doesn't seem secure to me. It does move (side to side) more than I like at the edge of the vehicle seat. Is this common for RF convertibles?

~ Does the full base of the seat need to be completely on the seat or is it OK for some of the base to hang over the vehicle seat? It seems like I heard about a percentage before - anyone know what the "rule" is?

~ What position should the back of the vehicle seat be in? Does it matter safety-wise, is there a "rule" for this? Maybe reclining the seat will allow for more room resulting in a better/more secure fit?

~ I am concerned about the safety of the SureLatch system. With the noodes/towels there, it seems like it is possible for them to push into the red release buttons. Is this a potential safety hazard, or are the release buttons made so that things like that can't happen? Do I have my noodles/towels in the wrong place?

See attached photos for clarification.

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
ADS

Keeyamah

I am using a 2009 Evenflo Symphony (which I HATE by the way) RF while waiting for the 2014 Peg convertibles to become available. I was able to install it properly and securely RF (tech checked) in my 2010 Chevy Equinox when I used it for my daughter, but am having a terrible time installing RF in my 2011 Chrysler Town and Country in the rear captain's seat. Hoping someone has some answers to some of my questions/concerns. ~ One noodle was not enough to make it level. A three noodle triangle was too much. I cut a noodle in half the long way to make a 1 and 1/2 noodle. That wasn't enough. I ended up having to stack 3 folded towels under the 1 and 1/2 noodle to get it level. IS THIS SAFE??? ~ The seat is technically secure - does not "move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the vehicle belt path" as stated in the manual, but it doesn't seem secure to me. It does move (side to side) more than I like at the edge of the vehicle seat. Is this common for RF convertibles? ~ Does the full base of the seat need to be completely on the seat or is it OK for some of the base to hang over the vehicle seat? It seems like I heard about a percentage before - anyone know what the "rule" is? ~ What position should the back of the vehicle seat be in? Does it matter safety-wise, is there a "rule" for this? Maybe reclining the seat will allow for more room resulting in a better/more secure fit? ~ I am concerned about the safety of the SureLatch system. With the noodes/towels there, it seems like it is possible for them to push into the red release buttons. Is this a potential safety hazard, or are the release buttons made so that things like that can't happen? Do I have my noodles/towels in the wrong place? See attached photos for clarification. Thanks so much in advance!

It's ok for the seat to move farthest from the belt path, it's normal and is part of how the seat functions in a crash.

As far as I know (not a tech) you can't use both noodles and towels together, it's one or the other. Did you try just 2 noodles? It's what I have under my Scenera right now.

The general rule seems to be 80% on the seat, but your car seat manual should tell you if all of it has to be on.

Reclining the vehicle seat back one or two clicks is usually safe for installs,but make sure it doesn't mess with the other car seat I see.

I don't know if they could push the buttons somehow, and I'm not sure on the placement either, usually it's right in the seat bight (where vehicle seat back meets vehicle seat bottom).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would find a towel--and it will be trial and error--and fold it to about 10" at the widest, then roll it as tightly as you can. Tuck it where you'd put the noodle and see if it's enough for the recline. If it is, tape it up so it won't come undone. Having it be 10" means it will fit between the lower LATCH anchors and shouldn't interfere with them.

Pixels

~ One noodle was not enough to make it level. A three noodle triangle was too much. I cut a noodle in half the long way to make a 1 and 1/2 noodle. That wasn't enough. I ended up having to stack 3 folded towels under the 1 and 1/2 noodle to get it level. IS THIS SAFE???
This is fine. Any combination of lightweight (so it's not a projectile risk), non-compressible objects.

~ The seat is technically secure - does not "move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the vehicle belt path" as stated in the manual, but it doesn't seem secure to me. It does move (side to side) more than I like at the edge of the vehicle seat. Is this common for RF convertibles?
Normal. You only check for movement at the belt path.
~ Does the full base of the seat need to be completely on the seat or is it OK for some of the base to hang over the vehicle seat? It seems like I heard about a percentage before - anyone know what the "rule" is?
80% has to be on the vehicle seat.
~ What position should the back of the vehicle seat be in? Does it matter safety-wise, is there a "rule" for this? Maybe reclining the seat will allow for more room resulting in a better/more secure fit?
Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer, the seat should be fully upright.
~ I am concerned about the safety of the SureLatch system. With the noodes/towels there, it seems like it is possible for them to push into the red release buttons. Is this a potential safety hazard, or are the release buttons made so that things like that can't happen? Do I have my noodles/towels in the wrong place?

See attached photos for clarification.

Thanks so much in advance!

Try playing with it. You have to press really hard to push those buttons. The noodles won't do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC