Marathon or Radian?

I'm trying to decide between the Marathon and Radian. My DD2 is about 20lbs (not sure on height but she's on the tallish side) so will be RFing a while. We have a Dodge van (with LATCH) with captains chairs in the middle row and DD2 rides on the passengers side.

Where I'm looking to buy from there is a $30 price difference (the Radian being cheaper). I've had recommendations toward the Marathon because of ease of install but I'm wondering if the difference between installs is worth $30. Just how much difference is there in ease of installs between the two seats.

We're on a very tight budget and have perfectly fine convertible seat to use while we save (which will be used as our spare after we get the MA or Radian). We need to have a spare because DD2 goes with a couple other family members in their vehicles.

Thank you so much!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Radian lasts longer and installs fantastic in that van (we have an '03). The Radian can also be installed at approximately a 30 degree angle before attaching the RFing tether which is great for older kids. I'd get the Radian.

grumpybear

Hi aidensmom02,
how do you measure the angle? In my manual if you measure the angle made by the carseatback (on a RF) with respect to the floor, it says it should be 45degrees or greater.
am I misunderstanding you or am I reading the manual wrong?
Forgive me for the thread hijack. We just took a lot of time installing the Radian seat and I want to make sure we did it right.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Typically we measure angles from the vertical plane (not the floor/horizontal plane). So where | is 0 degrees and - is 90 degrees.

We want the carseat to be at 45 degrees (/) or less... so closer to the 0 degree mark (straight up and down). Sounds like the same thing you are doing only you measure from the floor up, correct?

Anywhere between 30 to 45 degrees is fine. More upright is safer as more of the shell of the carseat takes the collision.

The 45 degrees is an important number for newborns. Newborns need the carseat at a 45 degree angle to help keep their airways open and avoid the chin to chest slump. Once babies have good head control it is actually safer to have their carseat more upright and is more comfortable for older kids so they don't feel like they are laying down all the time.

Hope that helps and I didn't confuse you more. :)

grumpybear

oh i see! thanks for the explanation.
measuring of angles from the vertical plane... is that a North American thing?
and to stay on topic, we love our Radians. Even though it was such a pain to install in our other car. :D
If you're installing it using LATCH though, it'll be a cinch. :thumbsup:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

I think so... I've actually never heard of someone measuring from the horizontal plane up, but as long as the carseat is at a 45 degree angle and then the carseat can be more upright from that point, it should be fine.

We used the LATCH w/ DD2's Evenflo Aura and got an AMAZING install. With the Scenera (going to be spare seat) I can only get a tight install with the belt. Just different seats I suppose.

I really LOVE the Cowmooflage print of the Marathon, but want safe and easy(ish). LOL Is the Radian as cushy as the Marathon? The Marathon looks very cushy.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think so... I've actually never heard of someone measuring from the horizontal plane up, but as long as the carseat is at a 45 degree angle and then the carseat can be more upright from that point, it should be fine.

The funny thing is, that that's how the angle amount is illustrated in the radian manual - >= 45* showing measured from a horizontal line upwards. That's why the confusion.. I thought it strange the first time I saw it illustrated that way in the manual too. ;)

To the OP, best bang for your buck is going to be the Radian. The premier also has really nice pillows which make wonderful sleeping support, and with more room to grow - most kids last another 2" minimum in the Radian after outgrowing the Marathon, it's the best way to go if you have a tall torso'ed kiddo.

BudgieStew

We have both, and I agree the Radian will give you more bang for your buck in the long run.
If you have the extra cash splurge for the Marathon but otherwise the Radian is just as awesome. Considering that you have latch in your van you should have no problems installing it.
Even then I just did a quick/secure install RF in my MIL's van bench seat with seatbelt in under 5 minutes.

I think the Radian it is. I think I'll even get the girly one since you can order gender neutral ones through the company if it ever gets handed down to a baby boy (a girl can hope right? LOL)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
oh i see! thanks for the explanation.
and to stay on topic, we love our Radians. Even though it was such a pain to install in our other car. :D
If you're installing it using LATCH though, it'll be a cinch. :thumbsup:

Mathematically, zero degree is the "ground line" which is the horizontal line or for easy explanation here, the 3 o'clock line. From there, you go counterclock wise to the 12 o'clock line for 90 degrees, to the 9 o'clock line for 180 degrees, 6 o'clock line for 270 degrees and back at the 3 o'clock line for 360 degrees.

That's why you see angles being measured from the horizontal line. And it's the same in the Radian manual as someone said earlier. Luckily, 45 degree is exactly in the middle of the horizontal and the vertical linr so it's fine measuring from either line, in this case.

In terms of these convention and carseat angles, you would want your carseat to be 45 for newborns, and can be more upright when baby is older with more control, etc. or greater than 45 degree.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC