Three across in a Hyundai Accent?

CrazyCatLady

Has anyone done a three across in a Hyundai Accent (2010)? Preferably with a Graco Nautilus in the mix? I can get Snugride (no base)/RF Scenera/Harmony NBB, just barely. Back when I drove a (slightly) bigger car, I could get Nautilus/Coccoro/Graco Turbobooster HBB, but I don't know if the Nautilus/Coccoro or Nautilus/Radian mix would still work with a third seat in my new car or not...

Kids I need to transport are either:
J - almost 6 years, mature, 40-50 lbs
N - 4 years, immature, 30-40 lbs
M(1) - almost 2 years, 20-25 lbs
R - 4 months, 10-20 lbs

or

C - 3 years, immature, 30-40 lbs
M(2) - 2 months, maybe 10 lbs.

C has to use the Nautilus and M has to use a Snugride. Other than that it doesn't matter. I was trying to figure a way to leave the Nautilus in permanently (I'd put N in it if I had the first set of kids) so I only had to swap out one seat. J would have to go in front (or M1 FF, but I'd prefer to put J there) which isn't ideal, but I do have smart airbags, and that set of kids is transported less often and smaller distances. I own a Scenera, Maestro, Harmony NBB, Graco Turbobooster, and R has a Snugride 30 or 32. I'm willing to buy something if it'll make it work.

Any advice?

ADS

LifeAtHome

Hi, I'm not sure how much I can help, not having access to an Accent, but I am trying to do a similar 3 accross in a Chevy Cavalier, so I sympathize! Unfortunately, the Nautilus is the least likely of all the seats you list to work in a 3 across. Have you tried to fit RF Scenera, Maestro, snugride? If those don't fit in any order you will probably need a new seat or two. The Harmony Defender is similar to the Nautilus but much narrower, I am thinking of getting one for my 5yo. They are a bit hard to find in stock right now though. You may also need to consider a Radian, they are expensive, but often necessary in a tight 3 across.

bubbaray

Three across with a GN is usually a no go even in much larger vehicles. I know someone with an Accent and am guessing you are unlikely to have much luck, particularly with a GN.

Your best bet is to go to a store like BRU and try seats.

CrazyCatLady

The people I nanny for (the second family) are very particular so I don't know if they'll agree to me using any seat other than the ones they gave me for their kids - which is why I've been trying to get the GN in the mix. I had a three across with a GN in my old car (Honda Accord) but this one is just a titch smaller :(

CrazyCatLady

And the BRU website says Radians are not sold in stores, and BBB has Radians but not Coccoros which is another one that I wanted to try, and both stores are ~half an hour from me both work and home... so kind of a pain to even drive up to BBB (and it'd have to be a time that I could get away with no kids, which is hard since I work like 45 hours a week for the second family and like 20 hours a week for the first family!) to try only one of the seats that might work.

The other thing I've considered is getting a BT flex loc for R and M2, because M2's parents and I disagree on using a bundleme so we keep having to switch it out for the shower cap style whenever I transport the baby - so they might be ok with me switching out her seat as long as it was an infant seat. But even then I think I'd still need a Radian or a Coccoro to get a seat in the center. Unless the BT happened to puzzle really well with the GN? Blagh. Going to see if BBB has the BT. I really need a car seat store closer to home, it's so hard to find time to go to one when you're working 65 hours a week and most of the hours you aren't working are dark!

LifeAtHome

That's a hard one. I would at least ask if they would allow a narrower seat. If they say no, then yes, the only things that might have a chance of fitting are a Radian or Coccoro, and I doubt the Radian would fit. The Nauti doesn't puzzle much because it's pretty much wide all over, no narrow base to work with. Do you have a Kohls near you? They only sell carseats online but you can return in-store if it doesn't work. If you hit a sale and use a coupon code it can be a good deal too. Walmart also can be ordered then returned in store, but they destroy opened return seats which seems such a waste I hate to do it. I don't think a Flex Loc is any narrower than a Snugride 30, is it?

CrazyCatLady

As far as I know the flex loc is the narrowest infant seat, and the narrow base helps it puzzle better with other seats. The big 'humps' over the belt path on the base of the SRs tend to cause problems.

LifeAtHome

That makes sense. They look about the same on the spec sheet, but I know that can be deceiving.
I'm planning to use a Chaperone, it's 19" at the handle, but only 13" at the rebound bar. I'm hoping it will puzzle as well with a Defender as it does with a FF Radian, so far no one has confirmed that for me though. If it works I'll probably have RF Radian, Defender, Chaperone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC