State Farm and car seat replacement?

YinzerMama

Husband was in an accident 2 days ago - got hit by a guy who ran a red light. We have a witness and a police report. We have Liberty Mutual, other guy has State Farm. Other guy has not called his insurance or responded to their phone calls to him. So we're sitting on our butts waiting for fault to be determined. Liberty Mutual says State Farm will replace the car seats if the other guy is found as fault. Husband is driving a rental. Car had to be towed. We have a Britax classic marathon and a graco turbo booster in the back.

Anyone know how State Farm typically handles car seat replacement? I've read some things on line that they can be jerks about it. Meanwhile their client has gone AWOL which can't be good for his case.

I don't know if they will make us replace like with like or just cut a check or what. I'm not too upset over the booster as we hardly ever used it but I need a convertible in that car. I don't know if I should be researching or not.

Last edited:
ADS

agave

I've had seats replaced with them twice once as my insurance and once as the other drivers insurance. Both times I've been told to buy anything I want and send then receipt. The hard part is getting them to accept liability.

agave

Two things seemed to speed things up, getting a lawyer and the guy I was talking to going on vacation forcing someone competent to talk to me.

cowgirlsmommy

They've replaced seats for me before. It did take a little arguing in our case because they tried to leave out part of the NHTSA requirements so they wouldn't have to replace our Blvd. Once they figured out I wasn't stupid they sent me a check immediately.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
You can see if you can go through your insurance and have them subrogate back to state farm. I had to do that with an accident because like you the at fault party wouldn't contact their company. So it was quicker to go though ours.

mping

I had no problem at all getting seats replaced by State Farm and they didn't even ask what seats we had. I could have done a serious upgrade ;)

agave

I had no problem at all getting seats replaced by State Farm and they didn't even ask what seats we had. I could have done a serious upgrade ;)
That's what happened with me first time I replaced an Alph Omega and Baby Trend with 2 MyRides. Then a year later they replaced the MyRides with a Roundabout 50 and Frontier. So I did a huge upgrade but not all at once.

YinzerMama

The guy finally called and admitted fault and state farm told us to get 2 seats and submit receipts. They didn't give any limitations. And I have no clue what I want to get!

YinzerMama

The MA is usually RF. I use it for my daughters on occasion but mostly it is for my son. Little dude is 2 1/2 and 29 pounds. It was going to expire next Dec and I planned to keep him RF till then, unless he hits 35 pounds before that. So I kind of want something that I can RF in... but we do have a back up Marathon (same age) I could use in its place and get a FF seat. I was thinking nextfit or size4me if I get a convertible. FR90 for a FF harness since it's snazzy and new and I won't otherwise have an excuse to buy one.

For booster I am leaning toward the new recaro. I'd like something that comes in pink and purple.

All upgrades, price wise, over what we have, but nothing too crazy, esp. if I get the nextfit from albeebaby. Not like buying 2 foonfs or anything like that lol.

Last edited:

cstep11

What vehicle is it for? Were you going to rf the 2.5 yr old longer or only ff?

I was rear ended 3 weeks ago, other driver stated she had State Farm (found out it lapsed 30 days before accident). I have liberty mutual and they were awesome with replacing the seats and they filed it under uninsured motorists so $300 deductible. They had me turn in the crashed seats to the collision center so they could cut the straps and dispose of the seats. Collision center sent in pics of the seats and they reimbursed me for retail. They didn't ask if they were occupied either.

YinzerMama

It's primarily for the 2yo. The car is 2006 Prius. I had the ma installed rf and there was also a booster but I mainly used that car to run out with just the youngest if my husband was home. Ocassionally 1 of the girls as well. In a pinch we could turn the MA and use it for the girls. That was kind of the emergency plan if DH ever got THE CALL from school and had to get the girls and the school couldn't get a hold of me for some reason. (Although the odds of having to pick up two puking kids at once are slim but...)

So yes I want it to RF.

I broke my foot this past weekend so right now my car seat shopping is limited to armchair shopping and I am looking at pics on line and asking my son what he'd like for daddy's car and he keeps saying he wants his cow seat. He doesn't like the radian in my car and keeps asking me to put his cow seat back in (we have 2 classic MAs). I'm almost considering just calling it a day and getting another classic MA and keeping the old cover. I just wish they could bump that puppy up to 40lb rf limit. I think 35 will get him to 3 easily but the shell is so tall, the low weight limit is annoying. I love the simplicity of the old marathons - almost considering the new evenflo for having some of that simplicity + more leg room and higher rf weight limit.

I'm more concerned about what they're really going to replace. Funny how they tell people different things. I'd be fine with a check for the current value we could put towards whatever we wanted if we're held to that. I better pin down details myself here.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC