My 6 year old prefers a harness

purplemama

I've been trying to booster train my almost 6 year old (he'll be 6 next week). He prefers a harness, he says that he doesn't feel safe in a booster, that he feels safe when he's in a harness.
I'm not sure if I should keep going with the booster training. I think it's a combo if going from being all snug and strapped down to the feel of just a seatbelt, and me telling him how important it is that he stay sitting correctly in the booster. I wonder if he's scared he'll move out of position, and would just rather not deal with it.
He's 37# and I'm not sure on height, pretty average. So he's very very skinny. He fits very well in the HB Turbo.

ADS

1mommy

Hmm, is their a reason you need to move him to a booster just yet like carpooling? I was going to suggest you could get a Britax Booster with a secureguard clip to help him with the transition, but I think all those have a 40# min. I would start working with him on his booster training by praising him on what a good job hes doing staying in place, etc. and letting him know that you understand change can be scary and that's why you will work with him on it little by little until he feels comfortable. Let him know that it IS a step down in safety, but only if someone is too young, or unable to stay in place, and for his age it is just as safe.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's fine, let him stay harnessed. When the time comes for him to have to sit in a booster, it will still always take a little help to buckle and a few reminders to sit properly. I think booster training is a lifelong affair, honestly my teenagers need reminders on many of our rides, the sooner you unharness, the sooner you have to start reminding them to sit right, so don't rush it ;)

MotoMommaNH

I agree with Jools - unless you need the booster because of a particular configuration, I'd just continue to harness! (provided whatever seat you have still fits but @ 37# I'd think most seats would).

MommyShannon

It was an adjustment for my kids too. I wouldn't push it unless he's about to outgrow his harness. As my kids got older, they were able to sit properly more automatically and not worry with my constant "sit right" reminders. DD's first "primary" booster was her nautilus when she outgrew the harness at 6. It was a great transition for her. She hated that the back of the turbo moved while she was buckling. DS has used a few different boosters in secondary cars occasionally and did well. I just switched our old nauti to booster mode and it is by far my favorite for him. I think the familiar, rigid seat helps them adjust since they know how to sit it in.

purplemama

The only reason he would need to ride in a booster is with DH's parents. The one time he rode with them they didn't buckle him right (only the chest clip, not the crotch buckle). FIL is currently undergoing chemo and going to have major surgery in Jan. so he won't be going with them anytime soon.
I think I'll keep him harnessed. He's still pretty immature and prone to fit throwing. And I want him to be comfortable in a booster, not scared.

bnsnyde

My tall 2nd grader is harnessed. 63 lbs.
He didn't care either way but it's easier for me to have a seat little sibs can use, too.
Plus he is always in position!

Athena

Since there's no need now and he's under 40 pounds, I'd wait. My DD1 did not like being in a booster at first and she was 6.5yo and was using the SG clip. Now she's 7yo and says she's feeling okay about moving to a booster full time.

slimy72

My son also prefers a harness. He doesn't mind riding in a booster, but he told me the first time he rode in it that he didn't feel safe and it was to loose. So we've just kept him harnessed in the main vehicle and only take short occasional booster trips.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC