Help with installing RF Convertible for '10 Sonata

S

somesay

I am a bit overwhelmed with carseat research. My 21 pound, 28.5 inch 12 month old daughter is about to outgrow her infant seat by weight. The only place to shop for carseats around me is BRU, but they don't have a huge selection in store. Our budget is a max of $200. Of the seats in that price range at BRU, we purchased the evenflo symphony, but it is such a tight squeeze in the back of our 2010 Hyundai Sonata, we are taking it back. Any suggestions for a good convertible seat that will fit in our car? We are planning for another child in a year or two so the future with multiple carseats is something we are considering. I hate to buy a seat that I can't try my daughter in first, but seems like I don't have much of an option. Also, is it possible to install one RF in the middle? The way the middle seat is makes it seem like the seat won't install properly. (I am new to this area so have to research car seat tech availability since I would prefer to have a pro's help.) Finally, when testing out fit on my daughter the convertible seats in all price ranges seemed to slightly push her head forward. This was happening when the seat was placed on the flat floor. It kind of concerns me but maybe I am overthinking it. Anyone notice this or hear of this? I am suspecting it has to do with the adjustable headrest. Thank you in advance for consideration!

ADS

MommyShannon

Which seat depends a lot on your goals for rearfacing. Current recommendations are rear facing until at least 2 but as close to 4 as possible. Luckily your daughter is a little smaller so you have more choices. The Britax seats are really nice for not taking up much room front to back. They are shorter than some others but will get most kids to 3 and shorter kids to 4 rear facing. The Roundabout 55 and Marathon 70 are the lowest cost. I love them for the younger years especially so I handed them down to our baby and got my then 2 year old a taller seat to continue rear facing longer. You can see my similar sized baby in the Marathon in my siggy.
Here is a great comparison of seats http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

1mommy

I would look into the Safety First Guide 65, its not the narrowest but is narrowish and has an extendable headrest to help it fit in the car better. You can also look at the Graco Mysize/Size4me which also has an extendable headrest. When installed the car seat is much more reclined so their head being pushed forward slightly doesn't bother most of them (some kids are more sensitive then others). Their head being pushed forward is also normally more of a comfort concern forward facing then rear facing.

somesay

Thank you! I am glad someone cleared up the head thing. Since my daughter is short and chubby, would the Britax still be an appropriate choice? As for the Graco Size4me, I read reviews last night saying that tightening the harness was problematic. I have the Snugride 35 right now and feel like the harness gives me problems with loosening. For those reasons, I prefer to stay away from the Graco seats. I will look into the Safety 1st and Britax. We plan to rear face at least until 3, and given genetics on both sides of the family, I am confident my daughter will always be on the shorter side. I think that gives me some more options for longevity of use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC