Vivo colors

carseatmama007

My mom has decided to get DD a Vivo for her 5th birthday to ride in occasionally in her van (I'm OK with this). I know it's been discontinued, but it's seems like the only seat that is meeting all the criteria I need! Is there ANY color option besides the black/blue "River" on Amazon? DD will not be happy with a "boy colored" seat, unfortunately. She loves pink or purple or something with a pattern..

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
My mom has decided to get DD a Vivo for her 5th birthday to ride in occasionally in her van (I'm OK with this). I know it's been discontinued, but it's seems like the only seat that is meeting all the criteria I need! Is there ANY color option besides the black/blue "River" on Amazon? DD will not be happy with a "boy colored" seat, unfortunately. She loves pink or purple or something with a pattern..

Wayfair.com has a beige one still. I know it's not pink or purple (I don't think the Vivo came in a pattern), but I just thought I'd share it in case she'd like it better than blue: http://www.wayfair.com/Recaro-Vivo-...79.html?redir=recaro+vivo&rtype=8&dept=0&ust=

MommyShannon

What are your needs? I like our Vivo, but it takes more vigilance to make sure the lap portion is tight. I have taught DS how, but I would be nervous with it in cars with other people who may not check as well. If you mom will be good about checking it, then it'd be fine. If I were buying new right now, I'd probably get the Graco Affix or Recaro Performance Probooster.

carseatmama007

What are your needs? I like our Vivo, but it takes more vigilance to make sure the lap portion is tight. I have taught DS how, but I would be nervous with it in cars with other people who may not check as well. If you mom will be good about checking it, then it'd be fine. If I were buying new right now, I'd probably get the Graco Affix or Recaro Performance Probooster.

My criteria are..
-Shallow depth (tried her in a Graco TB SS at Target and she was about .75" too short for having her knees bend at the edge)
-Fits skinny kids well (has to rate down to 33 lbs at least)
-$100-$150 max
-Don't want to pay extra for LATCH (their van is a 2000 and does not have LATCH)
-Anti submarine design in the base/arm rests
-Not flimsy (aka can't have the back falling off like the TB!)
-Cute colors!! :)

Last edited:

carseatmama007

MommyShannon

Hmmm, it is a short seat, but Britax is the only one with the actual SG clip for anti-submarining. There is a lot of debate on whether or not to booster under 40lbs. I'd probably hold off with a new 5 year old that is that small. Maybe you could get a nautilus or other combo seat that she really likes and can use as a booster later on. If she's that small, she may not fit shoulder belts well either.

carseatmama007

Hmmm, it is a short seat, but Britax is the only one with the actual SG clip for anti-submarining. There is a lot of debate on whether or not to booster under 40lbs. I'd probably hold off with a new 5 year old that is that small. Maybe you could get a nautilus or other combo seat that she really likes and can use as a booster later on. If she's that small, she may not fit shoulder belts well either.

Yeah I've been over the booster vs. harness debate in my head for months, and ultimately I'm more comfortable with my mom using a booster with her. My mom has had several issues using the harness (not tightening the straps, not moving up the chest clip, not top tethering properly, not locking the seatbelt for the install). She's much better at using a booster because she's been using one for my nephew for several years. I'd rather DD be in a properly fitting boster than a misused harness seat.
I plan to train DD for a bit so I can see that she's got the hang of a booster (maturity wise) and knows how to buckle herself in properly. That way all Grandma has to do is re-check what DD has done and there's not a huge install process like with the Radian she's been using.
I'm also not comfortable using a heavy combination seat in booster mode in their van without LATCH, so I don't want to go that route.
I worry she might be too small for all boosters, and if that's the case, then I will definitely have to hold off. She does have a very short torso (like, only 13.5" at last check), so I guess we'll see. I think the Vivo might be our best since it's shallow and kind of short. But I might end up having to return it!

MommyShannon

It sounds like she's not much bigger than my 3.5 year old! I just had DD2 sit in our Vivo in the 3rd row of our van. She is 38", about 32-33lbs, and about a 13-13.5" torso. She fit better than I expected, but if she leaned at all, her shoulder was almost out of the belt. The lap portion is really flat and a bit ahead of her hips. I almost wonder if it is too far forward. Maybe that's why DS slouches more in this seat. The Vivo is odd to buckle because the slit the belts go in is so tight. We buckle, slide the lapbelt in, pull the shoulder part to tighten the lap portion, then slide the shoulder portion in the slit. At least in our cars if you put both parts into the slit first, it is almost impossible to get the slack out of the lap portion. It is not just a matter of making sure everything is routed right like in others and they typically tighten easily.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC