Question Inexpensive Seat for Second Car

springbok

We want a seat for our second car (2003 Toyota Echo) for my 2yo daughter. She is 30lbs and around 32inches in height. Currently she is rf-ing in our main car in a Radian. She will only be in the other car maybe once a month and never on long or highway drives. Generally we commute together so the additional seat is just to make our lives a little easier with added flexibility for the occasional separate daycare drop off/pick up. With that in mind, we're hoping to get something inexpensive that will last her a long time. Any suggestions?

ADS

Keeanh

I would look at the Evenflo Sureride. It has a 40lb & 40" RF limit and very high harness slots. Are you anywhere near a Toys R Us? If not, you can get a friend who is close to TRU to go in and order it to your house. You can order online, but you'll have to pay shipping. $140

Other options are the Graco MyRide if you can find it on sale at Sears or Amazon for $170-ish. And the Safety First Complete Air which is often on sale at Canadian Tire for $150 (although it only has a 36" RF limit). Both have a 40lb RF limit.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If you haven't yet taken advantage of the Shop.ca $25 new customer and Shop.ca/PayPal $25 coupons, along with the current 20% back from ebates.ca you can get a Roundabout for around $135 after all the deals.

springbok

So it's been a while but we didn't end up getting a second seat since our second car was borrowed by a family member for an extended period. In any case, I have a new dilemma. I am expecting number 2 in November and we will need to rethink our main and secondary car situations.

For the main car, right now my 2.5 yo is RF behind the passenger in an R120. When the baby arrives s/he will be in a Keyfit22. The problem is the neither the RF R120 nor the keyfit fit behind the driver's seat comfortably. Even with the R120 behind the passenger seat, I am relatively far forward and am concerned about my ever growing belly and air bags.

For our second car, we plan to get a seat since it will be the primary commuting car for my husband while I am on mat leave for the year and he'll be doing the majority of drop off and pickups on my oldest at daycare.

After the year, we would sell the car and use the seat as the second seat in the main car. That said, we may need a convertible before then since my daughter outgrew the Keyfit at 7mths.

So...we could switch the R120 to the secondary car (03 Toyota Echo) and it can RF behind the passenger and try to find a more upright RF seat for my 2.5yo. Or we could consider switching her to FF around 3 and move the Radian FF behind the driver and the Keyfit behind the passenger in our Hyundai Elantra Touring.

Any advice would be much appreciated! My 2.5 year old is approx 32lbs and 36.5".

bbartlettnfld

I quickly read your last reply and I am wondering if you have the angle adjuster for the Radian? I know that some people find it really helps give back room to the front passenger seats when used. If you have already tried this then I am out of ideas!

Not sure what to say regarding the keyfit.

springbok

We do have the angle adjuster....the seat is unusable without it! Are there seats that would be more upright RF that would still work for a fairly large toddler? We could put the new seat in our main car and move the radian RF behind the passenger in the old car since we never have passengers in it.

springbok

Thanks/for the advice. I'll check it out. Since we're having a second and the new car seat will go to him/her when the Keyfit I'd outgrown, I am less concerned about price so if there are more expensive options worth exploring (that will be more upright than the radian), I'm open to them. Can't figure out how to change the thread title or I would update it to my newer question!

springbok

Just to update, I purchased the Foonf yesterday! So much for inexpensive seat. Haha. Since both the Radian and the Foonf will be used full time after mat leave (once the baby outgrows the Keyfit), it won't really be a second car seat so I didn't mind spending more. I also got the Foonf for $349 which priced it in the range of a radian. Based on the Foonfs FF results, I think I could be OK with turning my 3yo if we can't get a good RF fit behind the driver. I'd like to keep her RF until 4 but based on her size and my husband's driving comfort, it might be hard to do. Smaller car seats won't work for her and larger ones won't work behind the driver!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC