Talk to me about the Foonf

Sunshine112

DD desperately wants the Foonf in Heart Shades an I'm totally with her lol. I do have some questions about it:

Would you buy it to FF?

I know it's stats look like it's very narrow, but has anyone puzzled it with other seats?

Pros cons to it?

ADS
DD desperately wants the Foonf in Heart Shades an I'm totally with her lol. I do have some questions about it: Would you buy it to FF? I know it's stats look like it's very narrow, but has anyone puzzled it with other seats? Pros cons to it?
What vehicle? I'm with Judi, I probably wouldn't buy it for FF only. The REACT technology only works when the seat is installed with latch, so if you drive a Honda, for example, you can only have the (possible) benefits of REACT up until your child is 28lbs.

Sunshine112

I would not get just for FFing, since other seats would last longer.

Thank you. DD is just about to turn 4 and is pretty average height/weight, but last time (2 months ago maybe) she wanted to ride in her MA70 RFing she still fit with a good 1/2" to grow before there would only be an inch of shell left over her head.

She does ride FF 90% of the time. Insurance is reimbursing for 2 new seats, as I hit a deer :(.

I'd like to get 2 that puzzle well together. I nanny an almost 2 year old

Sunshine112

What vehicle? I'm with Judi, I probably wouldn't buy it for FF only. The REACT technology only works when the seat is installed with latch, so if you drive a Honda, for example, you can only have the (possible) benefits of REACT up until your child is 28lbs.

It's a Mazda3. Well, as long as they don't total it. I'm still waiting to hear the 100% final decision on that.

Good to know about the REACT. That was one if the reasons I was entertaining it for her. Also because it sits so high up and she hates that she any see out of the windows in her Nautilus

Clek CPST

Once a ff'ing child reaches the lower anchor weight limit in the Foonf, then the seat can be installed using seatbelt and LATCH provided it's not prohibited by the vehicle manufacturer. This allows continued benefit from the REACT system.

The top harness slots in the Foonf are 17" which is enough to get most kids to booster age/size/maturity, but you'd need to consider the size of your daughter's torso to know if it would be enough room for her.

Persimmon

Once a ff'ing child reaches the lower anchor weight limit in the Foonf, then the seat can be installed using seatbelt and LATCH provided it's not prohibited by the vehicle manufacturer. This allows continued benefit from the REACT system.

Are you able to please give any guidance on which manufacturers allow both seat belt and LATCH? I got nowhere when I called Subaru a while back. They directed me here. The OP and I both have Mazdas.

Clek CPST

Are you able to please give any guidance on which manufacturers allow both seat belt and LATCH? I got nowhere when I called Subaru a while back. They directed me here. The OP and I both have Mazdas.

If it's not prohibited in your vehicle manual, and there is no interference between the seatbelt and lower anchors, then we allow it. The lower anchor system and seatbelt system are independent of each other, so in the case of a seat with rigid LATCH such as the foonf, there aren't any unknown variables.

Previously the instruction in the car-seat world has always been to never use both - partly because of not knowing how one would influence the other, and partly because car seat manufacturers weren't testing that way.

Clek does test the foonf using both lower anchors and seatbelt, which is why we allow the use of both.

When boosters with LATCH first came out there were similar questions so I think there will be a higher incidence of questions regarding this until it is more widely done.

Clek CPST

Do you know if the REACT system is as effective when used with seat belt plus lower anchors as with lower anchors alone?

I believe there might be a small variance but I know that it does engage when both are used. (Engage is the term we use for there being enough force for the cartridge to compress the aluminum honeycomb material.)

Persimmon

I believe there might be a small variance but I know that it does engage when both are used. (Engage is the term we use for there being enough force for the cartridge to compress the aluminum honeycomb material.)

Small variance works for me! I am not thrilled about the idea of FF DS (He turns 4 in Dec.) but this helps. Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC