Question Infant Seat Was Dropped

eocbwife

When we moved the movers sat my son's infant seat on top of one of the big wooden crates. It dropped and landed on the concrete. They crates are probably 8-10 feet high. Do you think it is still safe to use? TIA

ADS

jjordan

It's the middle of the week, so you can probably get through to customer service pretty quickly if you call the manufacturer. Certainly if there are any visible signs of damage, then I wouldn't reuse the seat. Did you look if over pretty carefully?

eocbwife

Thank you! There are no signs of visible damage. I called customer service and the lady said it should be fine if there are no signs of damage. She is double checking with another department and is going to call me back tomorrow. I feel like I should just buy a new seat, so that is probably what we will do.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I tend to err on the side of caution, so I might be overreacting, but a fall onto concrete from eight-to-ten feet in the air worries me quite a bit. That's a pretty substantial distance to fall. :eek:

Again, I might be overreacting, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using a seat that I *knew* had experienced that type of "trauma."

tiggercat

No, I would not feel comfortable using a seat that dropped from 8-10 feet! That's quite a distance, and the impact onto the concrete would likely have put stress on the seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

carolyn_mtl

The seat should be replaced, that definitely should be considered crashed. Also, there could be damage inside the seat which is not visible, so I would not trust its outer appearance as a guarantee that the seat is fine.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It wouldn't bother me, as long as there's no visible damage. A fall like that isn't putting stress on the harness or seatbelt connection points, where the stress will be in a crash.
Plus, I work retail, we throw a lot of things a lot of distance, by the time I'm the one gingerly trying to lower a seat to the ground from the top shelf, it's already been dropped quite a few times in the warehouse (and no, a cardboard box is not some magical energy absorbing packing material, if the seat were going to break, it would break. Carseats are tough mothers ;))

Lee-B-

It wouldn't bother me, as long as there's no visible damage. A fall like that isn't putting stress on the harness or seatbelt connection points, where the stress will be in a crash.
Plus, I work retail, we throw a lot of things a lot of distance, by the time I'm the one gingerly trying to lower a seat to the ground from the top shelf, it's already been dropped quite a few times in the warehouse (and no, a cardboard box is not some magical energy absorbing packing material, if the seat were going to break, it would break. Carseats are tough mothers ;))

But...how is all that man handling of the seat ok but gate-checking the seat on an airplane not? That sounds snotty...but it's not meant to be...I am really wondering!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
But...how is all that man handling of the seat ok but gate-checking the seat on an airplane not? That sounds snotty...but it's not meant to be...I am really wondering!

Yeah, I don't get that, either. I'm totally cool with gate checking (in a bag, because, yeah, things are gross down there at the bottom of planes).

That's me, the tech on the edge :cool:

(In all my years, I've seen one repeated problem where the front lip of the bottom of Marathons were cracking during shipping, and Britax said it was a cosmetic problem, go ahead and use the seats. Something that's designed to take literally thousands of pounds of force in a crash is just... tough).

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure I would call a gate checked seat crashed...but it does now have an unknown history. Was it picked up and carried by the harness or adjuster strap? Was it dropped off the top of the air stairs and then loaded into the hold like I saw on the plane next to me a few months ago? The unknown makes me nervous. But I fully admit to being a very conservative tech.

Keeanh

For me, I think it would hinge on whether I was making a claim anyways. I've never known a move that didn't involve a damage claim LOL. So if I was putting in a claim for other things, I would tack the car seat on and see what they say. I don't think it's "okay" to drop someone else's safety equipment 10 ft onto concrete. OTOH, if I wasn't claiming anything else, I might not bother. I wouldn't replace out of pocket.

tam_shops

Personally, I wouldn't put my child in a seat that was crashed, dropped or gate checked just b/c I don't know enough either way to make such a decision and it's not worth it to me. When a parent asks me, I tell them above and suggest they call the manufacture to see what they have to say...

Either way, if it's been dropped and potentially damaged and insurance will replace it, I'm replacing b/c it can't hurt to, but could hurt not to...

If a friend was using a seat that was dropped, I'd worry less about it than when s/he uses a seat that is expired!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC