What would you buy?

mom2juliarose

If you were shopping for a certified pre-owned mid-sized SUV, what would you buy or look at?

If you were shopping for a certified pre-owned minivan, what would you buy or look at?

We're getting the point where we need to retire DH's '97 Honda CR-V. It's been so good to us, but with 320K+ miles on it, and some work needed on it right now, we're wondering if we'd do the work only to have something else break soon...

We're definitely going the certified pre-owned route, although we're not sure if we're going to go with a mid-sized SUV or a minivan, honestly. We have 2 kids now and are wanting a 3rd. My guess is by the time we have a 3rd our oldest will be boosterless, so I don't see much need for 3-across. BUT we rented a minivan when we were on vacation and honestly loved it.

If we got an SUV, then DH would drive it. If we got a minivan, DH would take over driving my '05 CRV and I would drive the van.

Currently I SAHM and DH works on the campus where we live, so driving during the day is very minimal (maybe 20 miles a day due to drop-off/pickup at school, extracurricular activities, etc.). DH works 4 nights/week, though. Drives 40 miles RT on those nights, and it includes a 7% grade on the highway, which can be tough on some cars. There's no snow where we are (coastal CA).

Another thing that may or may not factor in is we are really trying to move east (to the East Coast), and if we do so this vehicle would go with us (either driven or shipped), so maybe something that does well in snow would be a good thing...

Prefer foreign over domestic, but will take any recommendations... we don't have a set budget. We'll spend what we need to get a car that lasts us as long as possible. Both of our current cars are CPO and have run beautifully.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I looooove Odys, but my mom just got a '12 CRV that was a rental at a screaming steal of a deal.

I have to say that remote control doors are amazing with kids.

tl01

We only have two kids but often have a friend with us. We love having a minivan. I have had to consider going back to an SUV for the sake of awd or 4 wheel drive and I can't even fathom the idea. I vote minivan;).

bubbaray

I vote SUV. Auto doors on a van are great, until the motor goes. A month out of warranty.

I would look at an AWD Flex. We had a rental for two weeks and really liked it. My next vehicle will likely be a Highlander, depends on what they do with the redesign. I'm not a fan of the Pilot looks-wise, but others here really like them.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm a Honda and Toyota girl, so I'd recommmend:

CR-V
Pilot
Highlander
4-Runner

My sister currently has a Pilot and my dad currently has a 4-Runner and I :love: BOTH! I've been driving the 4-Runner for the past few days and have thought it handles very well. :)

tl01

I vote SUV. Auto doors on a van are great, until the motor goes. A month out of warranty.

I would look at an AWD Flex. We had a rental for two weeks and really liked it. My next vehicle will likely be a Highlander, depends on what they do with the redesign. I'm not a fan of the Pilot looks-wise, but others here really like them.

I highly recommend extended warranties. The price they quote isn't the price you have to pay. I think I paid about half or even less of what the quoted price was for my honda care warranty.

canadiangie

I like the new pathfinder, and Infiniti's version.

And I like my pilot. I like the boxy look.

I also like the MDX, and the Q7.

I can't be convinced on a minivan. Sliding doors don't sway me whatsoever. :)

That said, I've been meaning to go look at the new body style Quest. I'm intrigued. Not enough to buy one, but I'm curious if Nissan has made any changes in terms of car seat friendliness. Tether anchors make me swoon, even if they aren't necessarily needed.

tl01

I like the new pathfinder, and Infiniti's version.

And I like my pilot. I like the boxy look.

I also like the MDX, and the Q7.

I can't be convinced on a minivan. Sliding doors don't sway me whatsoever. :)

That said, I've been meaning to go look at the new body style Quest. I'm intrigued. Not enough to buy one, but I'm curious if Nissan has made any changes in terms of car seat friendliness. Tether anchors make me swoon, even if they aren't necessarily needed.

Did Nissan make changes to the quest for 2014?

canadiangie

Did Nissan make changes to the quest for 2014?

I feel like the Quest is this mystery van. I see one every so often and it's "new" as in new from the previous body style I'm familiar with seeing, but I have no clue if what I'm seeing is the 13 or 14, or heck, it might even be a 12. What I'm referring to, though, is the boxy one. You notice it when you see it because it is clearly different than the previous gen, and like I said, at least up here, you don't see that many Quests.

marge234

I say Ody. I don't have one, can't justify it, but have driven them and do covet one. If you're not sold on a van, maybe search here on Subaru. I'm sure there are at least a couple very happy subaru people on here.

Friends have an Ody they bought new about 5 years ago--maybe it's an 09. It's made a few long trips, but is mostly an around town vehicle. It's not their only car, but they have 6 kids, now between 14 and 20, who are are hard on everything. An older kid used it to transport his band, it's been a team vehicle, etc...no teens are easy but this car is older than its chronological age, odometer mileage might lead someone to believe. He's a donut eating, beer drinking, smoker who spends a lot of time in the sun. But he still cleans up nice. And the auto doors still work (!).

Notions on which I base Ody rec may not be valid for you.

--With 3 DC, kid transport will be a big part of your life for the next long time.

--Most CSO forum people are net drivers of other peoples kids. They prefer to be. (And when you all aren't the drivers, you go through a lot of trouble schlepping and checking, gently reminding, purchasing, to ensure rides are safe. To the extent kids today might be left to their own devices to find rides, they won't be yours. )

Unless you're living pretty rurally, or have a job where you go in when roads are closed, good snow tires are usually sufficient.

Friends in Burlington swear by Nokians on their mid nineties Accord with +200K miles.

Of course Subarus are popular where winters are tough, and academics are plentiful, for a reason. IIRC, Subarus became VT thing because of AWD, which is now more widely available, their ability to hold gear, and looks--in spite of pretty lousy reliability ratings. I know it was Consumer Reports ratings that put me off them when I was car shopping the early 90s. I'm not familiar with what's out there now, when they became more car seat friendly, but CR has been loving Subies lately. And I see the outback and forester are on the top of the informed for life list.

tl01

I feel like the Quest is this mystery van. I see one every so often and it's "new" as in new from the previous body style I'm familiar with seeing, but I have no clue if what I'm seeing is the 13 or 14, or heck, it might even be a 12. What I'm referring to, though, is the boxy one. You notice it when you see it because it is clearly different than the previous gen, and like I said, at least up here, you don't see that many Quests.

Ahh... Got it:). I definitely know the difference since I was given one for a week to drive and write a review. I don't think they have made and significant changes since it came out in 2011. It sounds like maybe they have some sort of more stow able seating... But I don't think they have changed the number of tethers. It isn't a terrible van though. It isn't popular but it does have some nice features.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I highly recommend extended warranties. The price they quote isn't the price you have to pay. I think I paid about half or even less of what the quoted price was for my honda care warranty.

Oh how you've enjoyed the American luxuries :)

wavegal

Personally if you loved the van go for that and I would go for the ody if you did. I LOVE my pilot and still find it insanely easy car-seat wise. I have been occasionally swayed to consider a ody due the auto doors and now vacuum but just can't get my head around it personally!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC