please verify plan for 5.5yo and 11mo carseats, Frontier 90?

laeta904

CURRENT STATS:
Kevin, 5.5yo, 47", 50lbs
Seat in primary vehicle - Radian XTSL (purchased late 2009)
Seat in second vehicle - Turbobooster with safety surround

Owen, 11mo, 29", 20lbs
Chicco Keyfit, expiring at the end of the year

Other available seat(s) - Cosco Scenera, NBB Turbobooster, random NBB Cosco booster (both NBB purchased specifically for and used only a few times for guests riding in the van)

Up until about a week ago, my plan was to buy a new seat for baby. However, I then realized that 5yo was approaching the top strap slots on his XTSL. So my plan has now shifted to most likely get a combo seat for 5yo, since I would like to keep him harnessed as long as I can in our primary vehicle (he does do well with his current booster in the other car). Plus, we have really liked the XTSL for DS1, so now we can pass that down to baby to use until it expires (about 4yrs) in the van, and use the Scenera for secondary vehicle until it expires.

New seat: 5yo is at the size where most combo seats would be silly, since the harness would not fit him for very long at all; however, I feel comfortable spending the money on a Frontier with a much taller harness height than other combo seats in which he would fit for at least two more years harnessed before converting that to a HBB. Then when the XTSL expires, DS1 can move to one of the NBBs, and the Frontier can be passed down to DS2 to use until THAT seat expires. All in all that will mean that all of the seats will have been extremely well used by the time we are finished with them. (If we have a third, I will get to/have to buy a whole new set of seats.)

Specifically about the Frontier 90: I did see the blog articles about the booster fit on the Frontier 90. I am definitely intending to use these in booster mode, so if anyone has comments on booster fit in a 2005 Odyssey, I would be greatly appreciative. I read that you can buy/get the belt clip, which is a good option, but I would prefer for it to fit without an add-on. Should I just wait on purchasing a Frontier, use Scenera for baby in the meantime, and hope that the new Frontier version comes out early next year? At the moment, you can find them for $230ish, do you expect the new version to be sold at full retail at the beginning? Anything else I should consider, or does all of this sound like a good plan?

Thank you in advance for reading and helping!

Last edited:
ADS

Baylor

Sounds like a plan. I really prefer the booster fit of designated boosters over combinations in booster mode. It is okay but I think the designated boosters just fit kids better over all.

I would not buy a combination for a 5.5 yr old as a rule but since you will get so much use out of it with the next child it is a win win..

Jan06twinmom

It sounds like a good plan to me too.

You might want to get the new angle adjuster for the Radian if you don't have it already. It will allow you to install the Radian more upright in your vehicle, which should work with your baby at this age.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC