picking a combination booster/harness seat

U

Unregistered

We have a new truck (goodbye 1984 toyota!) with a back seat. We are looking for a new carseat for my car and potentially the truck.

I currently have a Britax Roundabout which I love. I especially like how the straps never (after even 3 years of use!) don't get twisted up.

My daughter is 4 years old and 39" tall and 35 lbs so we are looking for the combination type seat. Are there any out there where the harness straps don't twist so much? I bought a Graco CarGo without the front adjuster but hate it already (even though my daughter hasn't gone for a ride in it yet!)

(and those Britax boosters look awesome but I haven't seen any in stores BRU/Fred Meyer/Target) where are they sold?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Your daughter doesn't weigh enough for the Britax Bodyguard. My oldest is the same age height & weight as yours & we got all our kids the Wizard. The weight goes up to 65 lbs & 49 inches!
Good luck!
Erin

mamamia

You have several options. It is generally recommended to keep children harnessed to at least 40 lbs when possible. Your next seat could be a combo seat. THe Graco Ultra/Platinum Cargos are good choices. They have deep side wings, and nice straps. Not quite as nice as the Roundabout, but not too bad. There are others out there to choose from, but that is my favorite. Most combination seats will last a child to 40 lbs or about 43-45 in depending on whether they are long in the torso or legs. Often children will still need a new booster once they outgrow the combo seats. For example, my 6 year old nephew outgrew his combo seat by height, and now rides in a backless Turbo Booster ($20)

If you would like to keep her harnessed past 40 lbs there are a few options. The Marathon and Wizard by Britax are traditional convertibles like the Roundabout, but have a 49 inch/65 lb forward facing limit. My 4 year old is about 42 or 43 inches and 38 lbs. Her main seat is a Wizard. She fits with plenty of growing room. She just outgrew the Roundabout by hieght this summer. She is long legged, so she was over 40 inches before the top of her ears reached the top of the seat back. If you elect one of these seats you will still need to purchase a booster later on. It could be a $20 backless booster though. Combi will soon release a combination seat harnessed to 50 lbs as well.

You could look at the Britax Husky. It is a harnessed to 80 lbs, and no booster would be needed later on. It is a large seat, and if you need 3 people in the back seat this is not the seat for you :)

Finally, if you want this to be the last seat, and think your child is ready for a dedicated booster you could look at seats like the Graco Turbo Booster with back, the Evenflo Big Kid, Juniper Komfort Kruiser, Compass Booster, Britax Star Riser and other dedicated boosters. Many are rated from 30 lbs. The Britax Body guard is rated from 43 inches and 40 lbs. However, in general it is better to keep children in a harness to 40 lbs whenever possible.

How far is your child from outgrowing the Roundabout by height (shoulders above top slots or top of ears above seat back)? If you think she could stay in it a while longer, I would probably leave her in that as long as possible then decide which is the best route.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Quick, run back and return that Treasured Cargo...the Ultra and Platinum Cargos have front adjusters and much nicer straps! (the Platinum even has EPS foam like the roundabout for head protection)
:)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I agree that you should look at the Graco Ultra or Platinum CarGo. Do be aware that while some of the newer models of Platinum CarGo do have EPS foam, there are still LOTS of older models on shelves. You'll need to look carefully for one with the features you want. So far, there are only 2 listed on the Graco site w/ the foam:
8689 in Houndstooth
8689 in Caviar

U

Unregistered

thanks for all your responses! Wow!

mamamia, it sounds like the height (well, torso length really) is a more deciding factor than weight? It'd be cool if she cold stay harnessed just a bit longer.

I drive a Corolla, so I'm thinking that one of the other Britaxes would be too big for my car (and impossible to fit into the truck!) It's sad because I've loved the Roundabout!

For know I think I'm going to get the Graco CarGo Ultra or Platinum (If I can find them!) and maybe my daughter will get a cool Britax booster for the truck when she's ready for one.

Thanks again!

mamamia

THe Marathon and Wizard are tall, but the base is relatively small. If you elect that option, I am sure they would fit in your car. THe Wizard did fit in my old Mazda Protege, which is about the size of your toyota.

dvmroth

You can order the new Graco Platinum (w/eps foam) on Target.com. It's $99--I just ordered it for my son and it installed easily in my Subaru Outback (I could do it by myself) and the seat is so cushy!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
THe Britax Wizard is not that wide ... I was able to fit it RF with a FF Graco harness/booster and a backless booster in my mom's Chevy Tracker -- the seats were very close together, but they did all fit. This is the car that I couldn't get the belt through the Husky; it's much more cramped than a Blazer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC