Incognito

tl01

Is the bottom of this booster totally smooth? Do you think there's any way you could harm a vehicle seat with it? My dad got a new car and is a slight bit whacky... (As he had always been about cars) and he thinks that giving my son rides in his nb turbo booster is going to harm his seats. I would like a seat that I know won't create any issues. The bubble bum is a nightmare with my son in it.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's smooth enough. It's not going to harm anything. It's literally foam with some belt paths on it.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Incognito is as harmless to vehicle seats as the BubbleBum. Both are very light weight and neither one has hard plastic or sharp edges to gouge or scrape vehicle seats.

tl01

So maybe this is a super ridiculous question.... The belt guides... How do they stay in the foam in a crash?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Not ridiculous at all!

I do not know how strong the attachment is, but as with any booster, the guides are only there to serve as pre-crash positioners. If the guide on any booster rips or breaks during a crash, it shouldn't matter as long as it had positioned the belt correctly prior to the crash.

Plus, the straps for the lap belt guide seem a bit longish to me, perhaps it just wouldn't move enough to pull them off? I also found it to to fit quite as well as the BubbleBum in our cars, but still acceptable. I could guess that for kids closer to the minimum rating, the more likely fit could be an issue? Hard to say until we see more feedback!

Qarin

In a crash (or, well, any time really), an unLATCHed booster, occupant, belt guides, and seatbelt will be moving together, until the movement of the occupant and the strength of the locked seatbelt cause the seatbelt to stretch- at that point the booster and the occupant continue to move together with the stretch of the seatbelt. I can't think of what forces would cause the booster guides to be held back while the seatbelt moves away from it in such a way as to break the guides, at least not during the primary crash motions.

tl01

Not ridiculous at all!

I do not know how strong the attachment is, but as with any booster, the guides are only there to serve as pre-crash positioners. If the guide on any booster rips or breaks during a crash, it shouldn't matter as long as it had positioned the belt correctly prior to the crash.

Plus, the straps for the lap belt guide seem a bit longish to me, perhaps it just wouldn't move enough to pull them off? I also found it to to fit quite as well as the BubbleBum in our cars, but still acceptable. I could guess that for kids closer to the minimum rating, the more likely fit could be an issue? Hard to say until we see more feedback!

In a crash (or, well, any time really), an unLATCHed booster, occupant, belt guides, and seatbelt will be moving together, until the movement of the occupant and the strength of the locked seatbelt cause the seatbelt to stretch- at that point the booster and the occupant continue to move together with the stretch of the seatbelt. I can't think of what forces would cause the booster guides to be held back while the seatbelt moves away from it in such a way as to break the guides, at least not during the primary crash motions.

That makes sense Qarin... I just know that the screws are so important on a TB.... and those armrests are the guides...I was just thinking that the guides would be important on the Incognito. Also, I would think if they did break, then the belt would move up on the child which does seem dangerous but maybe the booster won't experience that sort of force.

Qarin

That makes sense Qarin... I just know that the screws are so important on a TB.... and those armrests are the guides...

I might get excommunicated for this but... I'm no longer actually convinced the screws are so important on the Turbo Booster. Of course, I use them, and I let people know about them, but my armchair analysis brings me to think their presence is not actually relevant.

I was just thinking that the guides would be important on the Incognito. Also, I would think if they did break, then the belt would move up on the child which does seem dangerous but maybe the booster won't experience that sort of force.

Once the crash has started and the belt has locked, there's no reason why the pre-crash positioners (including those lap belt guides, chest clips, a vehicle's own shoulder belt guide, etc) can't magically vanish- the belt should stay where it was on the occupant.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC