Moving out of HBB and then what?

sixboys

We're still another inch or two before DD outgrows her Parkway. I'm already terrified about her having to sit in a seat with no side impact protection. She actually fits properly in the belt now, but since she still fits in the Parkway she stays in that.

Last night I was voicing these fears to DH, and his sleepy, oh-so-practical response was "Why don't we have her wear a bike helmet then?". I laughed, but it did get me to thinking, it may not be a bad idea! Or am I nuts?

Anyone else find themselves worrying about the day their child outgrows a seat, and what to do at that point?

ADS

ThreeBeans

One thing you should consider...ok...2 things...

1. The car itself is the greatest form of side impact protection. You have a huge beast of a car. It's not like you're driving around in a 1987 2 door Chevy Nova.

2. The older the child, the more developed the skeletal structure and musculature that protects the spinal chord. Your daughter is significantly less at risk from a side-impact accident than say a two year old.

If she fits fine in a seatbelt, she's ok to ride in it :)

skaterbabs

Boy, do I understand that concern! But as long as she has a lap/shoulder belt and head restraint available, and she passses the five step test, I think I would let her be once she outgrows the PW.

sixboys

One thing you should consider...ok...2 things...

1. The car itself is the greatest form of side impact protection. You have a huge beast of a car. It's not like you're driving around in a 1987 2 door Chevy Nova.

2. The older the child, the more developed the skeletal structure and musculature that protects the spinal chord. Your daughter is significantly less at risk from a side-impact accident than say a two year old.

If she fits fine in a seatbelt, she's ok to ride in it :)

Could you imagine us squished into a Nova? :) I think we'd all have to put big red noses and clown feet!

I guess I never really took into account the more developed muscles in the neck, and the benefit she gains from that. I just keep picturing her little head hitting the side window. It's such a huge step, and not one that I'm looking forward to.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Could you imagine us squished into a Nova? :) I think we'd all have to put big red noses and clown feet!

I guess I never really took into account the more developed muscles in the neck, and the benefit she gains from that. I just keep picturing her little head hitting the side window. It's such a huge step, and not one that I'm looking forward to.

Well, if you still have enough kids in harnessed seats, ideally THEY should be in the outboard positions, and the daughter should be in a center position, so her head hitting a wondow shouldn't really be an issue? Depending on your vehicle and the seat belt configurations, etc.

sirrahn

I guess it's just one of those growing up things.... :eek:

My almost 10 yr old just proudly showed me tonight that he can sit in his spot in our Sienna, bottom all the way back, feet on the floor and the seatbelt looked pretty good on him. I knew he was probably getting close, but I didn't think he was there yet!

I *think* I feel ok with him out of his booster if he truly fits (and we have very safe vehicles), but yeah, it's a big step!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC