expired booster?

bakinlove

Today my hubby brought our 2 nieces home with him, our 9 y/o niece with no booster (about 75 lbs) and our 8 year old niece with a big kid (?) booster that has an 03 DOM. That is what he got sent with from Mom's house. I am not super worried about the 9 y/o, if she were mine I might still have her boostered but I think she most likely 5 steps since she is larger than my 10 y/o niece who I know 5 steps in every car I have seen her in. My concern is the 8 y/o, she is the same size (maybe even lighter) than my 4 y/o. She is about 48 inches tall and 45 lbs, she still wears some size 4 clothes.
I would like to buy her a new booster but don't know how to do it without looking judgemental and overly snarky. Her mom would totally be offended if I just said something. So fill me in on what I could buy her that is super cheap that would work and why the old one is not okay any more.
Thanks!
Joni

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd buy two Harmony Youth Boosters or Cosco Top Sides and use them for both. Big or not the nine year old has a nine year old skeleton.

The Big Kid expired in 2009. They can call Evenflo to confirm.

Two Harmonys or Coscos will set you back about $25.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
With the 9 year old, I'd check to see if she 5-steps in your car. If she does, I might not worry about it. If I got anything at all, it would be an Incognito. It's more likely to get used; anything else would probably be a waste of money.

With the younger child, I'd get her an adorable Harmony booster. Like the bright pink zebra striped one. Or let her pick something else if she likes something else. Tell Mom that you got it for your house but that the child liked it so much you told her you'd trade. Or something.

With the 9 year old, I'd check to see if she 5-steps in your car. If she does, I might not worry about it. If I got anything at all, it would be an Incognito. It's more likely to get used; anything else would probably be a waste of money.

With the younger child, I'd get her an adorable Harmony booster. Like the bright pink zebra striped one. Or let her pick something else if she likes something else. Tell Mom that you got it for your house but that the child liked it so much you told her you'd trade. Or something.

I second this. I think picking something out for her that she loves and then swapping would be a great idea

mom2ari

What if the booster accidentally got ran over and you had to replace it! I like the other idea of the cool one that she loves better, but just throwing out ideas.

mamom

What if the booster accidentally got ran over and you had to replace it! I like the other idea of the cool one that she loves better, but just throwing out ideas.

Could you buy a new matching seat and put the old cover on the new seat. Then no scene???

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'd buy two Harmony Youth Boosters or Cosco Top Sides and use them for both. Big or not the nine year old has a nine year old skeleton.

The Big Kid expired in 2009. They can call Evenflo to confirm.

Two Harmonys or Coscos will set you back about $25.

Wendy

I am confused. Are 9 year olds all supposed to be in boosters? In my state the law is 4'9" or 8 years old. I know that's the minimum, but I thought beyond that it was just about whether they pass the 5 step test -- not about skeleton strength?

Jan06twinmom

I am confused. Are 9 year olds all supposed to be in boosters? In my state the law is 4'9" or 8 years old. I know that's the minimum, but I thought beyond that it was just about whether they pass the 5 step test -- not about skeleton strength?

I think I'm confused too. The majority of 9 year olds need a booster seat because they don't pass the 5 step test. A child who is at the 50th percentile for height will reach 4'9" tall around 11 years old. My DS is at near the top of the charts and is only 4'8" tall at 8y10m old.

keri1292

I believe that most of us aim for as close to puberty as possible since the hip bones are still growing and less able to withstand crash forces. The sides of the booster act as artificial hips taking some of the pressure off the child. So ideally, even a 5 stepper rides in a backless booster in our cars until 12ish here. :)

pj2rc

Wouldn't someone who fits the car without a booster (5 stepper) be sitting too high and get an incorrect fit in a booster?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wouldn't someone who fits the car without a booster (5 stepper) be sitting too high and get an incorrect fit in a booster?

Not always. There's a transitional time when a child may five step and still fit in a booster.

Wendy

keri1292

Like this kid...

This was one of her last rides in a booster. She went from high backed to nothing. She didn't care for backless boosters since she sleeps in the car a lot. She really misses her comfy headwings. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC