Is your DH/SO as car seat obsessed as you?

Is your DH/SO as obsessed about car seat safety as you?

• Yes, equally obsessed

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • More obsessed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not obsessed, but cares enough to discuss it/learn about it

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • Couldn't care less, but goes along with it

Votes: 42 42.4%

• Total voters

amy919

Obviously a spin off, here. But it got me thinking and now I want to know how many of our DHs/SOs are as obsessed as we are and how many just go along with us.

ADS

Mama2J

Mine couldn't care less! He does care about ds being safe, but doesn't want to buy anymore carseats, and wants ds to ride in his Cosco hbb when he outgrows the harness part. Maybe we can accidentally lose that seat when we get the new car! :whistle:

ZephyrBlue

Mine could not possibly care less. But he recognizes that it's important and respects my knowledge. I've always told him, "I've bought such and such seat, and here's how you use it" and he's been good with it since DD#1 was born, 7 years ago. He does wish I wouldn't talk about it quite so much, but I feel the same way about computers, which is his hobby.

scatterbunny

Mark couldn't have cared less before I got obsessed. I mean, he always did the right things because he knew it was important, but he didn't care to learn "more" than the bare minimum/what was required. Both of us just kind of assumed that was "good enough" back then. Chest clip always at right level, straps always tight, carseat always installed right, but we didn't put much time into thinking about different seats and what they offered, or what we would do if dd got too big/tall for a certain seat.

After I got interested and started to talk his ears off about CPS, he's gotten a little more interested, to the point that he'll mention when he saw a child improperly restrained, and if someone at work is talking about their baby's seat he'll mention a few key points they might not know (makes me proud of him!).

But he will let me know when my incessant carseat talk is getting to be too much, and that he'd like to discuss something else now. :p He doesn't get angry at people who are knowingly putting their child(ren) at risk, the way I do. He's content knowing that we are keeping our child safe, and that's good enough.

southpawboston

first off, i'm not nearly as obsessed about carseats as i am other aspects of cars.

my DW loves learning about carseats, but more than that she loves learning about the mechanics of cars, car safety, and physics as it pertains to all the above. she knows that i know more than she does and often asks questions. i don't think she's ever *not* wanted to talk about it if i bring it up.

arly1983

Dh cares, in the sense that he wants the kids in carseats and uses them the correct way.

However, untill recently, I could put whatever seat I wanted to in his truck and he didn't care. Suddenly, he is in love with the radian. Swears it is the easiest seat to buckle DS into and that he never has to loosen the harness to put him in. He will not let me take it out of his truck. I would have never dreamed he would have a preference one day (and defiantly not the radian) Just weird....

skipspin

Yes, more than the average parent, but not quite as obsessive as I am. I mean, he doesn't have to worry about it because he knows I do.

Case in point: He brought me back info about car seats in airplanes etc from a few vendors at the big NBAA conference yesterday, and talked to one of the engineers about it. So, he at least humors my obsession more than the average person.

He doesn't like it when I have spare car seats in "his" section of the garage. (That's anywhere other than my laundry corner or installed in a vehicle.)

jdchic3

My Dh couldn't care less, but he appreciates that I'm interested in it and take great pains to learn what is safest for our children. He also likes that I'm so obsessed about it that he never has to worry weather our kids are safe or not. He lets me buy my expensive seats without batting an eye, even though, as was discussed recently in another thread, we have to specifically budget for new seats. (Can we say overtime? ;))

katemass

Mine is less obsessed than I am, but still very much aware of how important it is to use a good seat and to use it right. We regularly vent to one another about the terrible seats and practices we see around town. I'm the one who is really into them and in charge of figuring out what seats to buy. I am also typically the one who installs them, because I do it more often and know the tricks for getting them in well, though I know she would read the directions and take great pains to do it right herself, if she had to. We are both obsessed with making sure they are used correctly every single time, and she's fully on board with extended harnessing, etc.

amy919

Since I started it, I'll answer it. I voted that he couldn't care less, but that's not really true and I don't know how to edit a poll question:eek:. Help, Admin! It really shouldn't be doesn't care, maybe not interested?

Matt couldn't name 3 brands or names of car seats. He could name the 2 that we own right now - maybe. I'm fairly sure he knows they're Britax at the very least. That's the extent of it. He's completely uninterested. He does back me 100%. He uses them correctly EVERY single time. He knows how to install them. He also tells me I'm crazy. He does on occassion mention that he still doesn't see how Teagan is comfortable RF. But he'd never in a million years turn her seat around. He accepts that it's a big deal to me and he supports me (or ignores me:rolleyes:). He acts like he's listening when I talk about new seats or anything car seat related, but he really doesn't care. Kind of like me listening to the great weld job he did while suspended from a beam 120 feet in the air. Um, rather not know about your work, thanks. Let's leave that there.

He doesn't complain about how much they cost. He doesn't complain that Teagan has to RF until I say so, doesn't complain that Kaylie stays harnessed until I say so :p. If I ask his opinion on seats, he just says "it's your deal, don't ask me what you should get". For him, it's equal to him asking my opinion on his 110 or mig welder. I don't even know what that means. I know they weld things. He knows car seats keep our kids safe.

ThreeBeans

DH uses them correctly, advocates their use, and backs me 100%, and will discuss them with me, but he doesn't even approach my level of interest, nor does he know about other carseats than the ones we've owned, lol.

sixboys

My DH couldn't have cared less until I started to get a little more into it. He surprised me just this past weekend when I was telling him I wanted to buy a RA for the baby because of the way his Blvd. just isn't working out so well with the large TSIP wings.

He vehemently objected, told me to get the Diplomat not the RA, and said he didn't care about the price difference, that he did not want DS6 put into a seat without the TSIP. I was happily surprised, and he even went to BRU with me so I wouldn't have to haul the seat around the store.

FYI, I love the Diplomat! The wings are less restrictive than the Blvd. and the baby is much happier in his new seat. And I love that the shoulder pads are sewn, not velcroed, shut. I wish they did that for all their seats! Plus, even though it's boring, I do really like the Huntington print - and want to replace my Sahara cover on the Regent with Huntington once it comes out.

keri1292

My Dh respects that I've read/reasearched and he has done zero. So any car seat decisions are mine to make. He's aware of basic CPS. He'll notice a tiny FFing baby, a toddler in a booster or a dirty nasty ancient seat. He uses a car seat properly. He can install just as tightly as I do. So, he cares enough about his kids to do what I've discovered is best. But, he does get a faraway look when I start talking about the merits of the MA, Radian, and Advance.:eek:

CrabbyBunchX3

dh just goes with it..sort of.
He keeps pestering me to turn DS FF and I keep telling him no. He doesn't care to watch crash tests or read the info.

laurenrachey

My Dh respects that I've read/reasearched and he has done zero. So any car seat decisions are mine to make. He's aware of basic CPS. He'll notice a tiny FFing baby, a toddler in a booster or a dirty nasty ancient seat. He uses a car seat properly. He can install just as tightly as I do. So, he cares enough about his kids to do what I've discovered is best. But, he does get a faraway look when I start talking about the merits of the MA, Radian, and Advance.:eek:

This is pretty much my DH minus the install. Installs are up to me. But he did ask my if I welded our new FPSVD to the car :D He also gets that glazed over look, but he does humor me by trying to give me a sounding board.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My dh is pretty good. He can install the seats correctly if he needs to; I've rarely had to correct his installations.

But today, he took dd with him to the city (45 miles on the highway), and planned to use her booster. Most of the time, that's the best option because he has too many kids with him to use her Husky, but with her alone in there, I told him I wanted to move the Husky. He just shrugged and helped me do it. :love:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
He can install them correctly and use them correctly, but doesn't pay attention to ALL the details like I do and he thinks Evan is big enough to ff all the time. I love that he knows how to put them in correctly and tries his hardest to make sure I can make it to all the carseat checks, but he's not obsessed at all. :)

ccjones

DH isn't as obsessed, but he does point out misuse often. He sees ALOT of misuse when he picks DS up at daycare, and makes a point of telling me ALL about it. A few times in the past, he has emailed me the various misuse pics of Britney's Spear's sons in their Britax seats (even though I had already seen them lol).

He's also pretty snobby about carseat brands. There's a 2yo girl who lives a few houses down who rides in a Graco Comfortsport with a flower cover. DH and I saw the CS sitting on the driveway next to the car one day while on a walk, and he snickered, "Look at that crappy seat, I would never put J in a seat like that. You can tell from back here it's not as nice as the MA or Radians."

The neighbors across the street had a baby girl in July, and they are using this OLD Evenflo 3-pt harness infant carseat with the straps twisted through the chest clip and missing the freaking canopy. We were at another neighbor's pool party when the new parents came with the baby in the carseat. DH happened to see the carseat on the patio, and asked the new father, "You're just using this as a carrier, right? You're not actually putting her in this for car rides?" When the father said yes, they were using it in the car, DH was like, "That thing looks like a death trap, it looks old as shit and doesn't even have a 5-pt harness."

I was proud, yet mortified at DH's crassness lol. Fortunately DH and the new father are friends, and the new father said that he thought the seat was shady, but his wife wanted to reuse the seat from when her 7yo was a baby! :eek: DH then informed the father that carseats expire, and that they really need to get their DD in a 5-pt harness like a Graco SnugRide (DH doesn't know about KeyFit or SafeSeat). I saw the new parents yesterday getting out of the car and the baby was in a pink and gray Snugride with a 5-pt harness! :thumbsup:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
DH happened to see the carseat on the patio, and asked the new father, "You're just using this as a carrier, right? You're not actually putting her in this for car rides?" When the father said yes, they were using it in the car, DH was like, "That thing looks like a death trap, it looks old as shit and doesn't even have a 5-pt harness."

Guys have it so easy! As soon as I read this, I knew it worked. Guys are just practical that way. I bet the other dad didn't have his feelings hurt at all. But if YOU had said the same thing to the MOM, it would have probably started a life-long feud and she'd have kept using that seat out of spite.

amy919

Guys have it so easy! As soon as I read this, I knew it worked. Guys are just practical that way. I bet the other dad didn't have his feelings hurt at all. But if YOU had said the same thing to the MOM, it would have probably started a life-long feud and she'd have kept using that seat out of spite.

That is SO true!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC