HUGS chest pad question

akl597

I have a Britax Boulevard 70-G3 that is currently rear facing. I removed the HUGS chest pads because it was so difficult to get her in and out of the seat and the website said that was acceptable in a rear facing installation (we've had other Britax's without this - had I known, I would never have bought this seat, but that's another story).

My daughter is now 4 and I'm planning to turn her forward facing. I know you need to have the HUGS chest pads in a forward facing installation, but do you have to use the strap that connects them to the back of the seat? I think that's what causes most of the problems so I'd love to just put the chest pads on but not reinstall the strap. Is that a no-no?

Thanks!

ADS
Britax apparently took it off the new seats that are due to come out soon (I think there was something on car seat blog about it from ABC ex.) so I'd call britax and double check, they *may* have changed it retroactively, though I have no idea if this is a fact. Just a thought I had.

HEVY

I'm curious about this strap connected to the HUGS, I've never seen it. Does anyone have a pic?
So while looking it up I found this:

Q. Is it safe to remove the HUGS Chest Pads for forward-facing use?
A. b. In our recently announced recall campaign involving HUGS chest pads with SafeCell Technology on select Boulevard 70-G3, Pavilion 70-G3 and Advocate 70-G3 convertible car seats, we have indicated that the HUGS chest pads can be removed and the car seat safely used until replacement pads are received for both rear and forward facing use. Current user guide instructions for these same convertible child seats require the use of HUGS chest pads for forward-facing installations. BRITAX has tested these child seats forward-facing without the HUGS chest pads, however, and has confirmed that these child seats can be safely used without the HUGS pads. The HUGS pads do enhance the performance of the child seats and for this reason Britax still strongly recommends that HUGS pads be used whenever possible.

From this page:

http://www.britaxusa.com/support/faq/convertible-car-seats

I'm not in any way saying not to use the HUGS, because I would, I'm just wondering if I'm reading this right and if you don't have to use the HUGS FF, wouldn't you be able to also not have to use the strap if you do use the HUGS?

akl597

That's a good point. I'm not sure I read that response before. The last one I saw said that the HUGS were required in FF position, and didn't mention additional testing. I definitely plan to use the HUGS, just would prefer to not use the strap.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I'm curious about this strap connected to the HUGS, I've never seen it. Does anyone have a pic?

I haven't seen it in person either, as it's only on three of their seats (the 70-G3 series of Boulevard, Pavilion, and Advocate.) I can't find a clear picture of it because it is hard to see. It's basically a strap that runs from each HUG up the backside of the harness strap that goes over the child's shoulder. The idea is that it keeps the child from pulling the HUGS down.

The best I could find was Britax's page about it, which explains what it does, and shows a picture of someone holding a HUG upside down so you can sort of see it. For the curious, here's the page.

xursusmaritimusx

I can take some detailed pics of mine.

I'm not a huge fan of the G3 HUGS. My 2 year old somehow bent the top portion on one of the pads and it just bent/ripped so I took them off since hes rear facing. I never had any problems with the old generation HUGS.

katymyers

I can take some detailed pics of mine. I'm not a huge fan of the G3 HUGS. My 2 year old somehow bent the top portion on one of the pads and it just bent/ripped so I took them off since hes rear facing. I never had any problems with the old generation HUGS.
Hunter did that in his too. Britax replaced it for us without an issue but it was annoying. You can call Britax and ask for the old style HUGS and they will send them to you.

HEVY

It's basically a strap that runs from each HUG up the backside of the harness strap that goes over the child's shoulder. The idea is that it keeps the child from pulling the HUGS down.
[/URL].

Thanks for explaining that, I understand now.

I can take some detailed pics of mine.

Cool, thanks.

I'm very thankful R never played with the chest clip. I do like the new ones with the bumps in them.

Thanks. Glad I never had to use those. Those HUGS are very different than the new ones.

Yeah, they're a massive pain in the bum. I've taken the strap off. The corner of the pads rub L's neck, so I talked to her mom about it and she didn't care if I took it off ( my seat, not my child obviously, but I wanted to run it past her first since it seemed like a parental decision, even though mom is not car seat savvy, I felt like I should ask).

Jen, did they say anything to you about being able to buy the G4 HUGS separately here in Can when the seats are released? I need to get my mitts on the new ones, the G3's are like strapping a brick to the child's chest.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Jen, did they say anything to you about being able to buy the G4 HUGS separately here in Can when the seats are released? I need to get my mitts on the new ones, the G3's are like strapping a brick to the child's chest.

It wasn't me who asked directly, but it was a Canadian parent who told me that's what Britax told her last week. So hopefully it's true!

It wasn't me who asked directly, but it was a Canadian parent who told me that's what Britax told her last week. So hopefully it's true!

(crosses fingers) I really hope so.. anything to keep kids who seem to not have any bones in their arms from wiggling down the chest clip and trying to squeeze their arms out. Toddlers are so much fun, aren't they?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC