News So...i hit a huge deer earlier...

Sunshine112

The only bright side to my pretty car being wrecked is that I had 2 car seats (and no kids) in my car so woo hoo...I get to pick new seats!!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The only bright side to my pretty car being wrecked is that I had 2 car seats (and no kids) in my car so woo hoo...I get to pick new seats!!

This was us 4 months ago. Except the kid was in the car. But the accident wasn't bad -- no injuries. In fact, the officer that saw us at the side of the road and pulled over looked at me like I was crazy and said, "uh, no, it looks fine" when I asked whether we needed to replace the seat. (Luckily our insurance felt differently and told us to replace it immediately and send them the receipt for reimbursement.)

Anyway, I feel ya. So good that your kids weren't in the car. Even though there were no injuries in our accident, hanging out at the side of a hot rural road with horseflies is one of the worst times to be holding a fussy baby. Plus our cell phones were eating up battery like crazy because we were in the middle of nowhere and so we were panicking about whether the tow truck would be able to find us.

Sunshine112

I think my car will be fixable, but it definitely was not driveable. Thankfully i was not injured other than a little whiplash and a stiff neck this morning. He was tall enough that my airbags didn't deploy but I definitely killed him and he did a number on my car.

So....who wants to help me pick out seats?! The insurance company acted iffy when I called in my claim and said my two carseats needed replaced, but told me the adjuster would have to take care of that. Ummmm, no, I WILL be getting new car seats thank you.

DD is just about 4, not sure on height but average, and 35lbs max. I have plenty of seats but hers that happened to be in the car was her cow MA70-G3 :(. I don't care if it's a convertible or a FF only seat as she will probably never am one out lol. She still fits RFing in her MA70 with about .5" to grow.

My nanny girl will be 2 in January. Not sure on stats, but very average size and weight. The seat I had for her in my car was a R120 RF (DD loves cow so much that they traded seats lol).

Ready.......GO!

D&L's-mommy

slightly off topic, do you know that if you hit a deer you should call your local game commission (if you live in a high deer area it's not a bad idea to keep it in your phone, or you can google it, or get it from the 911 operator (when you call for assistance). If the animal has run off and they feel it could be badly injured (based on the scene of the crash) they will look for it. If it is still alive but badly injured the game commission can dispatch (put it down) it. Once the deer is dead they can butcher it and donate the meat to food banks or homeless shelters in the area, or you can request a special tag that the game commissioner can write that allows you to keep the deer for your own food supply.

Sunshine112

slightly off topic, do you know that if you hit a deer you should call your local game commission (if you live in a high deer area it's not a bad idea to keep it in your phone, or you can google it, or get it from the 911 operator (when you call for assistance). If the animal has run off and they feel it could be badly injured (based on the scene of the crash) they will look for it. If it is still alive but badly injured the game commission can dispatch (put it down) it. Once the deer is dead they can butcher it and donate the meat to food banks or homeless shelters in the area, or you can request a special tag that the game commissioner can write that allows you to keep the deer for your own food supply.

Yes, thanks. We got a salvage tag for it and kept it. We are big hunters and it was a really, really nice, HUGE buck. Our freezer is already stocked with game so my dad and I field dressed it and then took it to our friends who own a locker plant to butcher and donate to our county.

Stelvis

I know this is the law on PA, but it might vary elsewhere. "You can keep and eat any deer you kill with your car" is such a PA law. Lol.

cupcakepirate11

Yes, thanks. We got a salvage tag for it and kept it. We are big hunters and it was a really, really nice, HUGE buck. Our freezer is already stocked with game so my dad and I field dressed it and then took it to our friends who own a locker plant to butcher and donate to our county.

That is awesome!!!

Keeyamah

You're allowed to keep it and eat it in Idaho. They will make you pay for a special tag or choose to surrender the carcass.

Despite my love of deer and elk meat, I have never been hunting. We tend to get ours from DH's uncle when he empties out his freezer for the new season :).

D&L's-mommy

:) My husband and kids hunt, that's why I know this. I'm not one to sit quietly anywhere, especially in the cold, so hunting is not for me, lol. Since there's no real way to avoid hitting deer, it's nice to know the meat can be put to good use

I know this is the law on PA, but it might vary elsewhere. "You can keep and eat any deer you kill with your car" is such a PA law. Lol.

I'm in PA too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC