Question 8y/o in 8th seat in Sienna

brelza

We have a 2011 Sienna. We've had to put the 8th seat in since we've been carting an extra kid or 2 around a couple times a week. In this situation, we put my daugter in the 8th seat as she's the smallest of the rest (all other children in the van are 5' tall/11+yrs and in regular seats). She was in a NBB in a captain's chair since this summer until we had this arrangement and she outgrew her regent. Her booster doesn't fit in the 8th seat. She does 5 step in it though. Would you allow her to stay in the 8th seat even when there are empty seats or require her to move to another seat and use the booster when you are without extra kids. I've been hesitant to do this because of having a loose booster seat hanging out in the van when it's not being used. She has a graco turbobooster nbb. Just wondering what you all would do in this situation.

ADS

mping

I would be more comfortable with an 8 yo boostered. You can buckle the booster in when not in use also. How does a kid who five steps still fit in a HBB???

1mommy

Is she asking to move to another seat when their are no other children in the car? Otherwise as she 5 steps and as long as she is comfortable, she is safe, in fact some people might say shes safer there in the middle away from any possible side impact in an accident.

Qarin

How does a kid who five steps still fit in a HBB???

This is not impossible at all- five stepping in certain particularly small vehicle seats does not require being too tall for even moderate high back boosters- my almost 9yo five-steps in a few seats, but still fits in a HB Turbo Booster. My almost 12 year old five-steps in quite a few more seats than the 9yo, but still fits in a new-style high back Parkway (and would fit for a long time in a Frontier as a HBB!).

Larah

We have the same minivan and the Costso Topside is the only one I found that fits in there. We got ours on sale at target for 12.99 but it shouldn't be more than 19.99

brelza

Is she asking to move to another seat when their are no other children in the car? Otherwise as she 5 steps and as long as she is comfortable, she is safe, in fact some people might say shes safer there in the middle away from any possible side impact in an accident.

nope she doesnt' ask and that was what I was sort of thinking..if she 5 steps in the smaller seat and is in the MIDDLE of the van isn't she actually safer sitting there than outboard with a booster? So that's why I thought I'd ask what others would do...

brelza

I would be more comfortable with an 8 yo boostered. You can buckle the booster in when not in use also. How does a kid who five steps still fit in a HBB???

Usually when she's in the van and we have to swap seats for friends added to the van there isn't any empty seat to buckle the booster as they are all occupied. There are times when she's not there but all seats except the 8th small seat are occupied and then the booster ends up on the floor because it was on the middle seat captains chair and it had to be moved for someone else. We always try to put it in the trunk but I know that isn't safe either. It won't fit in the 8th seat empty seatbelt because it's too wide..it won't sit in the seat

mping

What I don't like about the 8th seat, at least in my Honda, is the seatbelt that comes from the ceiling is really hard to get it to fit right without the belt positioning strap on a NBB. I can't sit in it safely at 5'3".

brelza

What I don't like about the 8th seat, at least in my Honda, is the seatbelt that comes from the ceiling is really hard to get it to fit right without the belt positioning strap on a NBB. I can't sit in it safely at 5'3".
Yeah the 8th seat in the 2011 sienna comes out of the shoulder area of the captain's chair so it's nice and low. Now If I had a bunch of adults I dont' know if it would work but come to think of it, my husband sat in it (he's tall but super thin--6'5"/160lb) and I think it even fit him properly. But 8 "average" sized adults I don't think could fit in it---at least not comfortably but all my kids fit in the 8th seat well(well minus my car seated 3y/o) :).

keri1292

How does a kid who five steps still fit in a HBB???

Lots of kids that 5 Step fit in bigger boosters. My dd used her Monterey until she outgrew it because she loves to sleep in the car. She was hauling it out to the car for a 4 hour car ride and was bummed when I told her that she couldn't use it. Too big, kiddo!

scoutingbear

My 9 year old 5 steps in that seat and just barely 5 steps outboard in the rear seat. That said, he is more comfortable in the 3rd row in a HBB (he has outgrown many, but still fits in a few). When we carpool, because he is the tallest he gets the middle seat in the second row. Actually, this summer when we needed the entire back for cargo, he rode in the middle second row for 5 hours each way on a road trip so that I could do 3 across.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC