Question Diono Radian RXT vs R120

robyngel

How limiting are the head wings for kiddos? I like the RXT and we want our son to be rear facing as long as possible. I wonder if he would outgrow the RXT before the R120?
My son is nearly 11 months and I just realized he has outgrown the britax chaperone due to his seated shoulder height. He's about 28 inches and around 21 pounds so I was hoping he be in his chaperone longer...
Thank you!

ADS

Lee-B-

My 8month old is in a RXT now. I love the headwings...every time she falls asleep in the car she is resting on the headwings and is in a natural position. I can see and have heard how the headwings make the seat outgrown earlier. Even knowing this I am glad we have the headwings now and for the next few years of rear-facing.

I figure if the seat allows us to rear face so long then it is well worth it even if we need to buy a new seat for boostering and possibly forward facing.

jacqui276

I have a RXT and R100 and like head wings on my RXTs. In the US (assuming that is where you are located) you can forward face in Radians with the straps below the child's shoulders (typically FFing seats are outgrown if the shoulders are above the top slot). Once your child gets to that point, the head wings will hit their shoulders making that uncomfortable/not possible. If you plan to use it to the maximums and will continue to FF in it once his shoulders are beyond the top slots, then the R120 will last slightly longer (assuming that he hasn't yet met the other maximums of the seat height-wise).

robyngel

Thank you for your responses. I like the head wings, I just wish I knew if they would greatly reduce the longevity of the RXT vs the R120.

jwilliams

I personally do not like the head wings on my RXT. The rest of the seat seems so sturdy and well-engineered, and the head wings feel like an afterthought. The wings themselves are great, it's the adjustment mechanism I don't like. They often end up being hard to adjust or too loose. They go crooked from my daughter getting in and out. They are, however, good for sleeping.

As for longevity, I will not use my Radian above the top slots FF, so I don't think they will impact how long I can use the RXT. I know Diono says it's OK but I'm not comfortable with it.

#1babysitter

I LOVE the headwings on my XTSL (Sunshine Kid version of RXT). I couldn't imagine it without them. They are amazing for sleeping but also extra protection for the head jn case of an accident. In my opinion they are very sturdy and won't break from rough kiddos. I had a Britax Boulevard for 3 months before getting the Radian and in that time the head wings broke 2 times!! When I was looking at getting a Radian I too was concerned about the head wings making kids outgrow the seat earlier than a model without them even though the seat was for the 15 month old I was a nanny for I occasionally needed to move seats around and have his 3.5 yr old sister ride in it. She fit GREAT! The headwings did not interfere with how she fit and I tried her in the model without them at the store as well. She also loved them to rest her head. Technically they may prevent a child from using the seat until it's MAXIMUM limits since Diono allows the harness to be below the shoulders but personally I am bot comfortable with that. The then 3.5 yr old outgrew both models at the same time at 4 yrs old but she is very big for her age and has an extremely long torso!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC