opinions on this

ADS

Brianna

My (non-tech) opinion is that it still leaves the cart top heavy and at risk of tipping over. I wouldn't use it.

bella_1818

Someone posted this on Facebook, I haven't seeing it yet, what do you think?

Haha! You beat me to posting this. Our Wal-H*LL just got them. I think they are still unsafe in that the cart may tip and I would personally not use them.

Keeyamah

I briefly saw them at one of my walmarts. But it looks like that one has the regular infant bucket in it too? I'll take a closer look at the ones that Wally-world to see what I think of them. I've used the built in ones for both my boys when they were little, because I went straight to the convertible and don't baby wear as much as I think I'm going to before baby is born. (I think I need to try a ring sling with a newb, I don't like wrapping, but I digress.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think if I were the store, I'd be very concerned about the liability should it tipped while "used as intended." I'd want to add a counter-weight to the bottom front if I were going to allow that. I'd like to see a design incorporate counter-weight, or possibly a smaller, square-ish basket with a lower-down area for the bucket?

sb518

I wonder if there's a weight limit listed on it somewhere. Anybody know? That would get them out of liability issues if they had a low weight limit listed.

Keeyamah

I wonder if there's a weight limit listed on it somewhere. Anybody know? That would get them out of liability issues if they had a low weight limit listed.

I plan on stopping by the Walmart in my city that has them, I'll check. But the old ones have a limit of like..... 18lbs I think?

Keeyamah

And here's those pics I said I would get.

In case you can't read it, weight limit is 50 lbs.

EAA9D683-A54A-4E95-BC46-FCE29A887039-3336-00000722423FC3BA_zps6decc1b0.jpg

And some others

E7976166-4EFA-4C82-A148-3D9A9787B355-3336-0000072283F4EBC2_zpscaf88273.jpg

This one isn't as good

25FADD81-D195-4645-879C-0756C0A28663-3336-0000072275A5D9CB_zpsc9529e6d.jpg

And the "old" one

17016308-6D9E-4B2D-A79C-475CA5394713-3336-000007222FC1ADF4_zps5d92bfd2.jpg

Weight limit 18 lbs

72227F92-C7D3-42B8-9A4B-18A7A6712F09-3336-0000072220FAAA03_zpsec429c89.jpg

I'm still not sure what I think of them, but at least someone is trying to make LO's a bit safer, hopefully. I need to go read the site.

T4K

I bet it's an effort to reduce liability. If people will continue to put seats on top of carts then at least they can do it a little less dangerously.

Keeks64

It would be pointless to use it if you have more than 1 child as it states not to put a child in the lower basket.

You would still be better off using a regular cart with baby in the bottom & toddler/child in the top seat.

lourdes

My concern is people using this and assuming that because of the strap they don't need to leave their children buckled in their seat...

featherhead

I wonder if it would make some infant seats sit too upright for a newborn. The pic in the OP looks like that could be the case.

carseatmama007

This just seems like a bad idea all around.. bad for Walmart, bad for babies! I imagine this is going to give people a false sense of security, and they'll be more likely to leave their buggies unattended, which is never good. Not to mention all the misuse they'll see with this. Even with proper use, I'm not sure how this is much better than just popping the seat on there.. it still makes the buggy top heavy.

PikkuMyy

My concern is people using this and assuming that because of the strap they don't need to leave their children buckled in their seat...

Exactly what I was thinking. Caregivers already leave their babies unbuckled or not secured properly. Those babies are still at risk.

Baylor

I think people are going to do it anyway. This seems to me safer than putting the infant seat in the normal child seat that usually happens.

I realize it is probably still not good but it seems they are trying to make the practice safer..

sb518

My main concern is this:

http://youtu.be/Wzp-8V-vfNg

But the photo in the OP shows a bar underneath to prevent something like that. Doesn't look like all of them DO have that bar installed though.

Surely they tested it if there is a weight limit, I'd think that liability is common sense. I am 110lbs and can put all of my weight on the handle bar of a cart and not have it tip unless I start wiggling or kicking.

I would feel comfortable using one IF the support bar was underneath, there was no other child pulling or hanging anywhere on the basket, and my baby wasn't old enough to sit up of it's own yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC