Replacing Seats After Accident??

DMS721

This morning a guy ran into my husband's Nissan armada as my husband was stopped at a light. The guy drove off so it is a hit and run. My husbands car is driveable, but there is bumper damage. Do we replace the Britax advocate and frontier 85 sict that were unoccupied?? Also will insurance pay for that? We are in Los Angeles, CA if that makes a difference. Thanks!

ADS

katymyers

Britax goes by the NHTSA's standards of replacing seats which means they may or may not need replaced. You can find the checklist in any of your car seat manuals. If your seats do not meet all of the criteria then they should be replaced and the insurance of the person at fault for the accident will be liable for the cost.

DMS721

Thanks! I will look at the manual when I get home from work. It was a hit and run, so our insurance will be the one paying. I haven't seen his car yet, so not really sure what we are dealing with yet.

DMS721

Insurance is saying they will only replace if an expert says it is necessary??? That doesn't sound right to me.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
California insurance code requires occupied seats to be replaced after any crash. It also requires replacing any seats damaged in a crash (or seats that were in a car that sustained damage--it's very unclear in its wording). But if the manufacturer considers the seats to need replacing, I would argue that counts as damaged, and therefore insurance has to replace them.

ETA: Here's the insurance code: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/insurance/ins11580_011.htm

morgaine108

When I was in a mild-moderate accident, all I had to do was take pictures of the place in the manual that says the seats should be replaced after any type of accident and send them to the insurance people. They just want some documentation showing it's necessary.

DMS721

Thank you! My husband called back insurance, and they are willing to pay for replacements, but we must buy them and then submit a receipt and they will reimburse us. However after reading Britax's criteria, I don't think they need to be replaced. My husband's bumper is scratched, but mostly just paint damage. He made it sound so much worse. It will be cheaper to pay for the damage out of pocket then to go through insurance and pay our deductible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC