Flying ANA Economy

S

Singmommy2012

Hello

We usually fly United and have no issues with the car seat and seat size. However when booking our flight this time, one of out flights is on United's partner - ANA airlines and there economy seats are only 16 inches across. We have a Safety First Complete Air 65. We can't pick our seats until we check in. There are 2 adults, a 13 year old and a 14 month old and we all have our own seats.
The flight is from Tokyo to Washington DC. I bought a CARES harasses just in case and will use as a last resort but would prefer to have a seat with us since it is such a long flight.

Hoping you can help out with some concerns I have,

Do all arm rests go up? Will they allow us to have the arm rests up in order to use the car seat?

I know ANA doesn't have to follow FAA guidelines as it is not a US carrier but since they are flying into the US, do they need to follow them?

Should I buy another car seat that is only 16 inches wide, any recommendations?

Thanks

ADS

cantabdad

Hello
Do all arm rests go up? Will they allow us to have the arm rests up in order to use the car seat?

I know ANA doesn't have to follow FAA guidelines as it is not a US carrier but since they are flying into the US, do they need to follow them?

Should I buy another car seat that is only 16 inches wide, any recommendations?

Thanks

No, they do not need to follow US rules, even on a flight to the US. The regulations of the carrier (and their country of registration) govern. That being said, ANA seems to be pretty good on carseat policy, as they allow carseats with Japanese, European, or US (FMVSS) certification and don't mention any specific maximum dimensions. They also allow CARES.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/local/dom/checkin/rakunori/family/child_seat.html

It looks like ANA uses a B777-300ER for this flight and that all of the armrests in Economy class move, except in the bulkhead row. Most airlines don't care about the armests being up or down (except on the aisle) so you should be fine if you need to move the armrest up to install the carseat. SeatGuru lists the seat width as 16.5".

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but since you already have a carseat that you like and that ANA allows, and then you also have CARES as a backup, I don't think I'd invest in another seat.

Eclipsepearl

Are there any seats that skinny??

Basically, you lose your right to fly with a car seat on foreign airlines. U.S. and Canadian companies guarantee it but not others.

Having said that, many are good about letting them be used on board. Makes sense since checking them involves their staff having to handle them whereas using them on board, means you take care of it.

If you contact them to ask, email, do not call. You can be told anything over the phone. Print up any responses or just print up their car seat policy and take it to the airport the day of your flight.

If you email them, ask specifically about car seat placement in their cabins. Typically, it's not at the exit rows.

U

Unregistered

I have flown ANA SFO-Narita using a Graco snugride 35 in regular economy (non bulkhead) seats. The flight attendants at check in checked the seat to make sure it was FAA approved, which it was. I had no trouble fitting it in the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC