SSI install in a 98 Mercury Sable?

Mtdew@ngel

On top of having issues installing our new Radian in our car, we can't seem to get the base for the SS1 installed right. I don't know if it's just me being paranoid or what, but it just doesn't look right.

We sit the base behind drivers seat with the recline fully down. Thread belt (shoulder/lap) through the belt path and buckle in. DH pushed down on base while tightening belt by pulling shoulder part. We have ALR belts so he pulls belt out all the way before tightening. After belt is tight we lock base using the lock off. When looking at the base after install, the right side (where belt threads in) seems to lean up more causing the base to look lop sided and that just doesn't seem right to me for when the baby will be in the seat. I test by take both hands at belt path on either side and tugging left then right to see if it gives at all. Not sure if I'm doing that right or not but the side cloest the door gives more then 1 inch.

Am I doing this right???

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Just use the lock off (red clip thing) on the base of hte SS1 Don't use the ARL belts using them some times causes infant seat bases and rfing conv. to lean to one side... :)

Mtdew@ngel

Just use the lock off (red clip thing) on the base of hte SS1 Don't use the ARL belts using them some times causes infant seat bases and rfing conv. to lean to one side... :)

Ok we will try that tomorrow. Thanks!!

Another Q: while checking for movement how the car seat manual says to, for the side to side is it like a "rocking" motion or am I supposed to be just trying to kinda "slide" it left to right?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ok we will try that tomorrow. Thanks!!

Another Q: while checking for movement how the car seat manual says to, for the side to side is it like a "rocking" motion or am I supposed to be just trying to kinda "slide" it left to right?

You're checking for side to side movement. I'd also suggest looking right at the foot itself and seeing if it slides, because there is sometimes slight wiggle of the gray part of the base even if the foot itself isn't moving where it touches the vehicle seat.

I'd also suggest double checking the angle.. unless the Sable has super slanted seats, then you likely don't need the foot extended all the way, so be sure you're using the indicator gauge on the side of the seat.

Mtdew@ngel

You're checking for side to side movement. I'd also suggest looking right at the foot itself and seeing if it slides, because there is sometimes slight wiggle of the gray part of the base even if the foot itself isn't moving where it touches the vehicle seat.

I'd also suggest double checking the angle.. unless the Sable has super slanted seats, then you likely don't need the foot extended all the way, so be sure you're using the indicator gauge on the side of the seat.

Thanks...DH had the foot extended all the way at first but then I brought it down. We weren't seeing any movement at the foot yesterday, just the gray part moved. And it was doing that lifting thing on the side closest to the door. We'll try getting out to install it again today.

mimieliza

We have ALR belts so he pulls belt out all the way before tightening.

I'll echo a previous poster and say don't do this step! Simply thread the belt (lap and shoulder parts) through the belt path, pull it as tight as you possibly can, and then close the lock-off to hold it in place. You should be able to get it so solid you can't feel any movement - those lock-offs help keep it TIGHT (although up to one inch of movement is perfectly acceptable). I bet it won't move at all once it isn't being lifted by the locked seat belt.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'll echo a previous poster and say don't do this step! Simply thread the belt (lap and shoulder parts) through the belt path, pull it as tight as you possibly can, and then close the lock-off to hold it in place. You should be able to get it so solid you can't feel any movement - those lock-offs help keep it TIGHT (although up to one inch of movement is perfectly acceptable). I bet it won't move at all once it isn't being lifted by the locked seat belt.

ITA - I didn't mention it in my post since it had already been mentioned and I was in a hurry...lol.

Definitely don't lock the belt - certainly not before closing the lock-off. The lock-off is required to be closed on top of the seat belt when the base is installed with the seat belt, and I would worry that having the seatbelt already locked and tightened could put undue stress on the lock-off, as well as additional stress on the seatbelt. It really is as simple as thread the belt, buckle it, put your hand on the back of the base and put pressure while tightening the belt, and then close the lock-off. And that's always given me a rock solid install.

I would choose seat belt over LATCH every time with the SS1 base if given the choice unless the seat belt was incompatible. It's just easier and faster than getting out the anchors and then installing it with the lower anchors. Not that that's hard either, but the seat belt is easier. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC