Have you guys seen these Porsche seats?

sbaker

I was just searching for some parts for DH's Porsche and came across these seats. They look kind of cool, but wow are they expensive! I thought the Safeguard seat was spendy...

http://www.porschesuperstore.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=child&x=0&y=0

Here's another pic of the baby seat. Check out the bracing bar on the back of the seat toward the dash.

http://files.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/zoom.jpg?pool=shop&type=articlegroup&id=porschebabyseat911997sicherheit&lang=de&filetype=zoom

Who do you think makes them? The booster reminds me of a Jane Indy Plus. :scratcheshead:

Sara

ADS

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
They don't even look very safe! a three point harness infant seat and a shield booster for 9 months up! OMG what are they thinking!

Clarissa

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I think recaro has a booster like that it's a bloster or somthing like that that can be used with smaller kids, and they are kinda like the britax laptop... much differant then a typical shield booster ...

CRS

Senior Community Member
They don't even look very safe! a three point harness infant seat and a shield booster for 9 months up! OMG what are they thinking!

Clarissa

I'm pretty sure that's not a shield booster, It's the same thing as the Britax Laptop, made entirely of EPS Foam.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, a RF carseat in front of an active front passenger airbag is usually a big "NO-NO." However, Porsche does have some Porsche branded carseats specifically designed to be used in the front seat of their two-seater sports cars, and deactivate the front passenger airbag. I believe that's the sort of RF Porsche carseat shown in the above link. There's also a separate kit listed, the "Child Fastener System," that includes a key for deactivating the front airbag in certain Porsche models, like the Boxster: http://www.porschesuperstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=450

Another student in my CPST class had a 2-seater Mercedes (drool, lol). Her car has a specific Mercedes branded RF carseat available for it, which, like some of the Porsche carseats, is designed to deactivate the front passenger airbag whenever the carseat is installed. Very pricey carseats, too, but I guess if you can afford a Porsche or Mercedes, then you can probably swing the cost of their seats as well. :whistle:

Last edited:

southpawboston

in general, accessories sold as "OEM" accessories such as carseats, bike racks, trailer hitches, etc. are just third-party accessories branded by the carmaker, and they're almost always obsolete products with price tags far higher than if you just sourced the accessories from their original vendors. i can't speak for this porsche seat, but many of them aren't made specifically for the car... and just branded that way. also, porsche is a european car. it's common in europe to be able to buy carseats from the dealer that are branded by the car maker, marketed as being a "genuine" OEM accessory.

CRS

Senior Community Member
aaahhhh....no chest clip and a rear-facing seat in the front...of a car which should most definitely have front airbags!!!!

The airbag is probably deactivated. I've noticed it's fairly common to have children in the front and in Sweden/Norway they consider the front seat the safest when braced against the dash. Not sure how that works but hey

southpawboston

The airbag is probably deactivated. I've noticed it's fairly common to have children in the front and in Sweden/Norway they consider the front seat the safest when braced against the dash. Not sure how that works but hey

that's right. people on this forum tend to forget that in other parts of the world, carseats in the front seat are considered perfectly acceptable, and is routine practice.

sanctareparata

I pity the child who has a leg itch in the Porsche Junior Seat!

Those seats all look awful.

The infant seat looks so deep, but the baby in both pictures is sitting right out on the edges of it. The whole body is exposed.

sb518

"Group 1 + 2 seat for children from 20 - 55 lbs. / approx. 9 month to 7 years of age."

I'd like to see a 7 year old fit in a 55lb limit seat :rolleyes:

Qarin

55lbs is 50th percentile (half are heavier, half are lighter) for children who are almost eight years old.

I'm more worried about 9 month old infants in that shield.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC