Question Best seat for a teen mom

mlohry

My sister is a teen mom, not the most responsible teen on the earth due to some mental health issues, but she is going to be a mom soon and I want to buy her an infant seat. We live in different states so she will pretty much be on her own for install and use. She may get a bit of help from my dad and step mom on install.

Anyway, what's the easiest to use seat that is on the market at the moment? I'm a little out of touch on infant seats. I need it to be pretty reasonably priced and something I can probably order off of Amazon or Target and have shipped.

TIA!

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
As long as it has a front-adjust, she'll be fine. I don't like Baby Trend, not the easiest install. The easiest is probably the Key Fit but that's certainly not an inexpensive seat.
The one she registered for should be fine.

Kegracin

momtoo3

No advice on the seat but if she is in a cold climate buy her a shower cap style cover to go with it so she is less likely to put the baby in a thick coat or snowsuit or use a bundle me.

mlohry

No advice on the seat but if she is in a cold climate buy her a shower cap style cover to go with it so she is less likely to put the baby in a thick coat or snowsuit or use a bundle me.

It's funny you bring that up, because I have been recently posting pictures of what's not safe to use in a car seat on FB and my step mom saw 1 and said she returned the big puffy 1 she got and bought a shower cap style one, but complained to me that the 1st one was so much softer : / This was after going off on me for no reason about how they were going to use the head support that my sisters car seat had for the new baby...I said well you really don't want to use extra things in seats that it didn't come with, and besides new seats come with those now. Then she proceeded to yell at me how it wasn't going to hurt the baby and I just turned away and started a new conversation with someone else. People!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would try to hook her up with a car seat tech in her area. Maybe contact someone ahead of time and include with the car seat a "certificate" for a car seat inspection with contact info to get one on one help.

But the Eddie Bauer seat she registered for is a fine choice. If she isn't picky on color you may be able to find a similar seat for a better price. Try the shopping forum.

mlohry

The car seat idea is off. My step mom found out I offered to buy 1 and laid into me about how they are trying to get my sister to come home with buying her things she needs. Basically bribing her with needed items, yes and they use the word bribe. You can't make this stuff up! It's not worth the drama :(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Your step mom is lucky she doesn't have me for a kid.

That comment would have made me determined to buy or locate every needed item on the list.

mlohry

Your step mom is lucky she doesn't have me for a kid.

That comment would have made me determined to buy or locate every needed item on the list.

I told my DH the same thing. Heck she is single young mom she could find a free seat if she tried at all!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Did she try out the one that she has registered for in the car already? Do you know what car it will need to fit into? I know nothing about how that seat compares to others on the market. If space is a concern, I'd probably spring for the Keyfit, as I know the ease-of-use features are well-regarded AND it generally provides good front-to-back space.

But that's coming from someone who sprang for an Aton after a day of trying out car seats because nothing else would fit.

(Unless she has a tiny vehicle like mine, though, I wouldn't recommend the Aton for her. Not only is it crazy-expensive, it's also not actually the easiest to use. I have to pull hard on my harness adjuster to get it snug and you definitely don't want to make it hard for your sister or stepmom to obtain the proper snugness.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC