RF Convertible in 2012 Subaru Outback?

mamrotu73

We are expecting our first child this spring and I'll be up-sizing my car from a Mini Cooper to a Subaru Outback (DH drives a WRX). I'd like to start with a convertible car seat instead of an infant bucket-type seat.

Anyone have advise on which convertibles will fit RF in an Outback (2012)?

Details: I'm 5' 8", DH is 5' 10", we have a 60 lb lab who I'd like to ride on the seat, but can ride in the way back if needed, and hopefully we'll have another kid (or 2?) in the future. We don't often have other passengers, but sometimes do and probably will more often when grandparents want to come along.

I've been looking at the Radian RXT, True Fit, and Marathon. Been leaning towards the Radian, but I'm most concerned about RF fit.

ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
My in-laws have an '11 Outback and I don't believe there are any major changes in body style between the '11 and '12. The back seat is quite roomy and you shouldn't have any trouble fitting a convertible seat rear facing in the back. My biggest complaint is the difficutly in using the lower anchors. I always end up using the seat belt (which is just as safe!) because it is easier in my opinion. You will want to look at seats that fit newborns well from birth. Some of these include but are not limited to: Chicco Nextfit, Graco Size4Me70/Mysize70/Headwise70, Graco Myride 65/70, Maxi Cosi Pria with tiny Fit, Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Advocate with additional infant insert, and First Years True Fit premiere. The Radians don't always fit newborns very well. It is a good seat if you are considering 3 kids because of how narrow it is. If you did choose the Radian I would try and find an inexpensive infant seat or borrow from a trusted source, to use just in case new babe doesn't fit well in the Radian.

Carseatblog.com also did a post not to long ago regarding which convertible seats take up the LEAST amount of room. I would link it if I could but I can't access the blog from my work computer.

cantabdad

We also have an Outback and have been using both the Marathon (RF) and the Radian (FF and RF) in it with no trouble. I haven't experienced any issues accessing the LATCH anchors.

For a *newborn* however keep in mind that Diono's angle adjuster for the Radian is designed only for kids over 1 year who have adequate head control.

Without the angle adjuster, the Radian's very tall shell takes up quite a bit of front-to-back (fore-aft) space. For someone who is 5'8" and sitting in front of the Radian, you would probably have to keep your seat quite a bit more forward and upright than you might otherwise prefer.

I'd definitely want to "try before you buy" on that one to make sure it will work.

The Marathon is a great seat -- easy to install and use and with convenient features like a no-rethread harness. Its shell is shorter, which is a drawback in terms of keeping your child RF longer, but it does seem more suitable to newborns. If you end up having a taller-than-average child and you want to keep him/her RF longer, you could always switch to the Radian later (perhaps passing the Marathon down to a younger sibling).

mamrotu73

Thanks for the tips.

We wil definitely find somewhere that lets us try them first. I hadn't seen the NextFit before, it looks awesome. Super easy to install, doesn't take up as much space for a newborn!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC