Puffy coat issue, need advice!!!

ceruti82

Help! A Facebook article a friend posted about not wearing puffy coats in car seats has started one girl going off about "there's no studies" "it's just opinion" "it doesn't seem like it would be an issue, besides overheating"

Does anyone have any scientific studies about the topic. She doesn't accept the common sense factor, or test dummy videos as a "study"...

I don't even know her, as I want to smack some sense into her. Ugh. Facebook. It can be great for spreading info, except for when you have someone like this who makes it all seem like a farce ...

ADS

carolyn_mtl

There was a story of a child (age 2 I think) that was found 25ft away in a snowbank after a crash. His carseat harness was still buckled, and he was wearing a winter jeacket... I think it happened in Maine or Vermont last winter, maybe the year before.. I'll see if I can dig up the story.

mom of six

But even this story is full of a lot of speculation. No one with authority said the baby was buckled in and slipped out. The author of that article suggests that is what happened. It is possible he was just sitting on top of a buckled harness. And if you look at how destructive that crash was (tearing off the back seat of the car) it is amazing the baby even survived at all. That was not a typical crash.

I would also like to see a study about coats and car seats. If there are crash test videos out there can someone link them?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How about that her manual says not to, and they do the crash testing to be able to state what is and what is not permitted in their seat?

_juune

But even this story is full of a lot of speculation. No one with authority said the baby was buckled in and slipped out. The author of that article suggests that is what happened. It is possible he was just sitting on top of a buckled harness. And if you look at how destructive that crash was (tearing off the back seat of the car) it is amazing the baby even survived at all. That was not a typical crash.
This. Btw, I remember quite clearly that this crash was discussed here on the boards. No clue how to find the thread, though. Why do I have it stuck in my mind that back then the info was "fleece suit but twisted straps"??? Not in the original article about the crash, but somebody wrote that on the thread. It may very well be that I'm remembering incorrectly, of course, and it was quite some time ago, too.

thekatie

How about that her manual says not to, and they do the crash testing to be able to state what is and what is not permitted in their seat?

This is what I tell people. RTFM (usually said with more tact), and follow manufacturer directions.

ceruti82

Thanks for the articles!!
And as for the drama on Facebook--- another mom chimed in with a great answer!

Something along the lines of "I don't need a scientific study to know that I shouldn't have blind cords hanging in her window, or give her foods boiling hot! It makes sense to not put her in a coat under her harness, so I'm not going to do it! No scientific study needed!"

I wanted to hug her for that reply! Just wish I thought to say it myself! lol

linneabw

A contradictory but maybe interesting point- my son wore a puffy jacket last winter and I did the car seat test. First he was in with his fleece and then the puffy jacket. That thing compresses so much it was no different than the fleece.

smileyblue4

I wouldn't openly debate with someone I didn't know on a Facebook thread, but I might mention something about it being foolish to think we can escape the Laws of Physics in the car, but not anywhere else...Glad someone with some common sense chimed in! Yes, accidents like that are rare, but if on the rare chance you get into one, why wouldn't you want to be prepared?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC