Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

installing evenflo symphony

I am using a 2009 Evenflo Symphony (which I HATE by the way) RF while waiting for the 2014 Peg convertibles to become available. I was able to install it properly and securely RF (tech checked) in my 2010 Chevy Equinox when I used it for my daughter, but am having a terrible time installing RF in my 2011 Chrysler Town and Country in the rear captain's seat. Hoping someone has some answers to some of my questions/concerns.

~ One noodle was not enough to make it level. A three noodle triangle was too much. I cut a noodle in half the long way to make a 1 and 1/2 noodle. That wasn't enough. I ended up having to stack 3 folded towels under the 1 and 1/2 noodle to get it level. IS THIS SAFE???

~ The seat is technically secure - does not "move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the vehicle belt path" as stated in the manual, but it doesn't seem secure to me. It does move (side to side) more than I like at the edge of the vehicle seat. Is this common for RF convertibles?

~ Does the full base of the seat need to be completely on the seat or is it OK for some of the base to hang over the vehicle seat? It seems like I heard about a percentage before - anyone know what the "rule" is?

~ What position should the back of the vehicle seat be in? Does it matter safety-wise, is there a "rule" for this? Maybe reclining the seat will allow for more room resulting in a better/more secure fit?

~ I am concerned about the safety of the SureLatch system. With the noodes/towels there, it seems like it is possible for them to push into the red release buttons. Is this a potential safety hazard, or are the release buttons made so that things like that can't happen? Do I have my noodles/towels in the wrong place?

See attached photos for clarification.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Last edited by athuyghe; 06-13-2015 at 04:26 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by athuyghe View Post
    I am using a 2009 Evenflo Symphony (which I HATE by the way) RF while waiting for the 2014 Peg convertibles to become available. I was able to install it properly and securely RF (tech checked) in my 2010 Chevy Equinox when I used it for my daughter, but am having a terrible time installing RF in my 2011 Chrysler Town and Country in the rear captain's seat. Hoping someone has some answers to some of my questions/concerns. ~ One noodle was not enough to make it level. A three noodle triangle was too much. I cut a noodle in half the long way to make a 1 and 1/2 noodle. That wasn't enough. I ended up having to stack 3 folded towels under the 1 and 1/2 noodle to get it level. IS THIS SAFE??? ~ The seat is technically secure - does not "move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the vehicle belt path" as stated in the manual, but it doesn't seem secure to me. It does move (side to side) more than I like at the edge of the vehicle seat. Is this common for RF convertibles? ~ Does the full base of the seat need to be completely on the seat or is it OK for some of the base to hang over the vehicle seat? It seems like I heard about a percentage before - anyone know what the "rule" is? ~ What position should the back of the vehicle seat be in? Does it matter safety-wise, is there a "rule" for this? Maybe reclining the seat will allow for more room resulting in a better/more secure fit? ~ I am concerned about the safety of the SureLatch system. With the noodes/towels there, it seems like it is possible for them to push into the red release buttons. Is this a potential safety hazard, or are the release buttons made so that things like that can't happen? Do I have my noodles/towels in the wrong place? See attached photos for clarification. Thanks so much in advance!
    It's ok for the seat to move farthest from the belt path, it's normal and is part of how the seat functions in a crash.

As far as I know (not a tech) you can't use both noodles and towels together, it's one or the other. Did you try just 2 noodles? It's what I have under my Scenera right now.

The general rule seems to be 80% on the seat, but your car seat manual should tell you if all of it has to be on.

Reclining the vehicle seat back one or two clicks is usually safe for installs,but make sure it doesn't mess with the other car seat I see.

I don't know if they could push the buttons somehow, and I'm not sure on the placement either, usually it's right in the seat bight (where vehicle seat back meets vehicle seat bottom).

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

4. Thank You from:

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Re: installing evenflo symphony

I would find a towel--and it will be trial and error--and fold it to about 10" at the widest, then roll it as tightly as you can. Tuck it where you'd put the noodle and see if it's enough for the recline. If it is, tape it up so it won't come undone. Having it be 10" means it will fit between the lower LATCH anchors and shouldn't interfere with them.

6. Thank You from:

Re: installing evenflo symphony

Quote Originally Posted by athuyghe View Post
    ~ One noodle was not enough to make it level. A three noodle triangle was too much. I cut a noodle in half the long way to make a 1 and 1/2 noodle. That wasn't enough. I ended up having to stack 3 folded towels under the 1 and 1/2 noodle to get it level. IS THIS SAFE???
    This is fine. Any combination of lightweight (so it's not a projectile risk), non-compressible objects.

~ The seat is technically secure - does not "move more than 1 inch from side-to-side or from front-to-back at the vehicle belt path" as stated in the manual, but it doesn't seem secure to me. It does move (side to side) more than I like at the edge of the vehicle seat. Is this common for RF convertibles?
    Normal. You only check for movement at the belt path.

~ Does the full base of the seat need to be completely on the seat or is it OK for some of the base to hang over the vehicle seat? It seems like I heard about a percentage before - anyone know what the "rule" is?
    80% has to be on the vehicle seat.
    ~ What position should the back of the vehicle seat be in? Does it matter safety-wise, is there a "rule" for this? Maybe reclining the seat will allow for more room resulting in a better/more secure fit?
    Unless specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer, the seat should be fully upright.
    ~ I am concerned about the safety of the SureLatch system. With the noodes/towels there, it seems like it is possible for them to push into the red release buttons. Is this a potential safety hazard, or are the release buttons made so that things like that can't happen? Do I have my noodles/towels in the wrong place?

See attached photos for clarification.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Try playing with it. You have to press really hard to push those buttons. The noodles won't do it.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

8. Thank You from: