Question Ff or rf 3 yr old

jheimes

Trying to get my vehicle set up for winter. Would you feel safe FF a 3 yr old who is 27 lbs and almost 36 inches? Trying to decide how I feel about turning her. Any statistics or data?
Trying to fit a high back booster, a FF seat, another either Ff or rf seat and an infant seat in and still have room for a passenger. Back middle seat is lap belt only, so would prefer car seat there. It is really hard to get my rf 3 yr old back there and my 8 yr is in an evenflo seat instead of booster right now so that she can buckle herself.
If I put 2 RF in captains chairs, then I can't latch booster in rear because 4th carseat is in center and booster that I own that has latch does not play nice with the belts in back, but if I put booster rider in captain chair, then how do I get in back to buckle RF child? Suggestions? Loading from back dies not work for us since I always keep a double stroller in back.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is the additional passenger an adult or child? How often do you take an add'l passenger?

Personally, I would keep her RF. If they fit, I would put the FF seat 3rd row center and the booster rider next to her. Leave the other outboard open for passenger. Then put the 3yo & baby on captain's chairs, allowing the older two to enter before you click the baby into the base.

Alternatively, depending on the age, you could put the baby 3rd row center. Then you would buckle outside of the car and just need to get the bucket into the base.

I have a few other ideas but it depends on the answer to Q1. Honestly though I would rather see an unlatched booster than a FF toddler, which is what it seems to boil down to?

jheimes

Add'l passenger varies. Usually child though. I think I will try 2 RF in capt chairs and see if I can get booster to fit next to ff 5 yr old by scooting his chair a little to make hand room. I know that only leaves room for a small adult or child, but am fine with that for now.
What are other suggestions. Always good to have backup plans in case we have diff passengers.
With cold weather upon us now, I need quick load with doors getting shut ASAP.:)

jheimes

I tried infant bucket in rear and had to move it after 2 days cause it hurt me too much to heave it back there.
My current setup is 8 yr harnessed on pass side/ ff 5 yr/ rf 3 yr on driver side. Infant behind driver and other chair removed accept when needed to allow for easy loading and groceries. Trouble is now it is getting hard to get 3 yr lifted up over and buckled and would prefer booster for 8 yr old so need more space.

jheimes

I have a britax booster with the hook between legs for seatbelt and an evenflo with flip up arms and I could probably switch it with the graco from DH vehicle. The britax shoulder belt catches in rear seat though. Other two seem compatible. I also have a lbb, but prefer not to use in van due to seatbelt geometry putting shoulder belts too far forward.
DS (5 yr) is in the graco my size 70. Not sure which setting for shoulders. Is hard to tell on that seat. I do know that I can't use that seat outboard FF in rear due to to hitting ceiling when raised up. DS can use it there on his current setting, but if he grows at all will be incompatible there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC