Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Frontier VS Pioneer

I currently have my nearly 4 yr old in a Frontier 85... He's special needs and I had him rear-facing in a Safety1st Onside Air until he hit 39 pounds in the spring.
    I like the Frontier a lot. I like that it has a long seat depth as he has a tendency to slouch forward.
    I need a second seat with a higher harnessed weight limit. I was looking at the Pioneer and the Evenflo Securekid 400...
    The thing is, that I've removed the armrests on the Frontier so that I'm able to get him into the seat easier. I can't see this being a problem until I start using the lap/shoulder belt once he's too big for the harness. By then, his development may be better so that he can help get himself sitting.
    Can I do the same with the Pioneer or the Secure kid seat?

The recline feature is also very important as his tone isn't great. Does the Secure kid seat have a recline feature? (we live in a small town and don't have options to see these seats in real life... I have to order them in).

He's currently 42 pounds, and 42 inches tall. I need to keep him harnessed as long as possible as he doesn't understand words, like "sit nicely" or "don't touch the buckles!'

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Frontier VS Pioneer

The armrests are required on your Frontier. Please put them back on.

I don't know if the SecureKid has a recline, but the Graco Nautilus does, the Harmony Defender (if you can find it) does, and the Britax Frontier 90/Pinnacle 90 do.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Re: Frontier VS Pioneer

Like Wendy said, Your Frontier does require the arm rests to be on, they are an important part of the safety of your seat

I don't believe that the Secure kid reclines in anyway. The Harmony defender 360's arm rests seem lower and may work better for your situation. The arm rests on the Pioneer and new Frontier 90 are shaped differently than your Frontier 85. It may be work trying them out. The Frontier 90 has the tallest top harness position currently available.
    Jen CPST-I
    DS1: 7 years 43# 49" Monterey, Probooster, Turbo SS DS2: 5 years 36# 41" Recaro Prosport, Frontier 85 and BV70