Question Frontier VS Pioneer

U

Unregistered

I currently have my nearly 4 yr old in a Frontier 85... He's special needs and I had him rear-facing in a Safety1st Onside Air until he hit 39 pounds in the spring.
I like the Frontier a lot. I like that it has a long seat depth as he has a tendency to slouch forward.
I need a second seat with a higher harnessed weight limit. I was looking at the Pioneer and the Evenflo Securekid 400...
The thing is, that I've removed the armrests on the Frontier so that I'm able to get him into the seat easier. I can't see this being a problem until I start using the lap/shoulder belt once he's too big for the harness. By then, his development may be better so that he can help get himself sitting.
Can I do the same with the Pioneer or the Secure kid seat?

The recline feature is also very important as his tone isn't great. Does the Secure kid seat have a recline feature? (we live in a small town and don't have options to see these seats in real life... I have to order them in).

He's currently 42 pounds, and 42 inches tall. I need to keep him harnessed as long as possible as he doesn't understand words, like "sit nicely" or "don't touch the buckles!' :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The armrests are required on your Frontier. Please put them back on.

I don't know if the SecureKid has a recline, but the Graco Nautilus does, the Harmony Defender (if you can find it) does, and the Britax Frontier 90/Pinnacle 90 do.

Wendy

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Like Wendy said, Your Frontier does require the arm rests to be on, they are an important part of the safety of your seat :)

I don't believe that the Secure kid reclines in anyway. The Harmony defender 360's arm rests seem lower and may work better for your situation. The arm rests on the Pioneer and new Frontier 90 are shaped differently than your Frontier 85. It may be work trying them out. The Frontier 90 has the tallest top harness position currently available.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC