Tether really required? Urgent

mainlobster101

I have a First Years True Fit (I believe the c650) and the manual says to use top tether for both latch and seat belt installs. We are moving carseats around because new baby is due in just a few weeks and need to put 2 True Fits in the 3rd row of our 2012 Quest van. The only 2 tethers are passenger and center and there is no way we can fit 2 of these seats right next to each other. We are hoping to get these installed tonight. Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Is it possible to use one of the True Fits rear-facing? I don 'to know the stats on which kids currently use those seats. If neither of the current users are appropriate for rear-facing use, could you use one of the true fits for the baby?

mainlobster101

So I called the company this morning and was told the tether was not required for seatbelt installation. But then she put me on hold for a while, asked someone, and them came back and told me they want me to use the tether for all forward facing installations. I've seen a tech on here say it wasn't necessary for the original model a few years ago... but I want to know for sure about my particular seat.

carolyn_mtl

It may not be *required* but it should be!.. In Canada it is illegal not to use a tether in a ff seat because it is SO much safer, and seats wouldn't pass our satefty testing without the tether. What are the ages / weight / height of your children?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If you can tell us the ages, heights, and weights of all of your children we can try to help you make sure all the kids are restrained as safely as possible. You may be able to trade seats around so you're not trying to put two True Fits next to each other. If you have any budget available at all for new seats, that would also help; there are lots of seats that are narrow enough to fit next to each other in most vehicles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC